Help

The VENT

My love for teaching is being tested in a big way

>

uoducks

My love for teaching is being tested in a big way
Old 04-08-2019, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm in my 20th year teaching elementary, mostly 4th and 5th. My love for teaching has ebbed and flowed through the years but it seems like I'm in a prolonged ebb. I'm tired of the disruptive and lazy students but even more tired of attitudes that cater to and perpetuate the disrespect and laziness.
I still love teaching...but after twenty years I've come to the conclusion it's NOT beneficial to do for a student what he/she can do for him/herself. And maybe I'm becoming an old fogie but don't the students seem more and more helpless? Incapable of punching their way out of a paper bag?
We had a disruptive student miss a few days last week and it was so nice. One of my co teachers was strategizing ways to make things pleasant and nice for him when returned. Trauma Informed Practices right? We've come to calling it Trauma Informed Excuses. Here's a kid who doesn't do any work, takes tons of breaks, and has days when he's on the warpath. How much is he learning? Not much. How much is he hurting the learning of the other kids? Too much. I can't stand that.
Anyone else feel the same way?

uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-08-2019, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I absolutely, 100% agree with every word of this post.

I’m tired of the excuses, catering to students and letting students enjoy no consequences for their actions.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 04-08-2019, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My feelings exactly, uoducks. I was so burned out after 30 years that I retired and took a year off to regroup. This is my 6th year of subbing, which I mostly enjoy, but each year the kids get harder to deal with. I’m beginning to wonder just how much longer I can do this before throwing in the towel for good.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Sorry
Old 04-09-2019, 02:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Teaching is exhausting. My thoughts are with you.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

Weird year
Old 04-09-2019, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach fourth grade. I just had a student put on modified days because he was having pseudo seizures everyday. He told me he fakes them. The P feels he just has so much trauma. I feel he has it way easy. Being raised by grandparents that love him, but expect nothing from him. Feed him junk and he is way over 200lb. P made a home visit and said he has a huge screen TV and video game set up. When he would fake these seizures he would put his head down and “sleep” and shake. Then fall out of his chair, but put his hand down to feel where the floor was and support himself to the floor. He would do this for an hour on the floor. We couldn’t get him up, to big, and he would not get up. Grandparents wouldn’t come get him. I also have a kid that wets her pants to get out of class. I am a gen Ed teacher.

SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 04-09-2019, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I completely agree. I know that childhood trauma is a real thing and some kids live in situations that are hard for many teachers to even imagine but even so I can't help but feel that Trauma Informed Understanding combined with a little Tough Love might be a whole lot more beneficial in the long run. I think it has always been true that children feel safer when there are clear boundaries. But these days it seems as though some fools think that if a kid crosses the line it's best to give them a reward. How does that work?

And speaking of rewards, when did we decide that kids should be rewarded for basic decent behavior? We had a local news story a couple of months ago about how a college campus was having trouble with students not paying attention to traffic lights so that motorists were fearful of hitting them. Do you know what they did? They started giving out tokens to students who obeyed the traffic lights. The tokens could be exchanged for t-shirts. And I thought to myself, "Well, this is where all our PBIS and other behavior incentive programs have gotten us."
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 04-09-2019, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with you 100%. Trauma is not a new thing either. We had kids with trauma 25 and 30 years ago who didn't act anything like this. It's a lot of excuses for the most part. We are not doing them any favors by having no accountability. What will ever happen when they get a job?
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

kidsrme11

Happy and Sad
Old 04-09-2019, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm happy to hear I'm not alone in my thoughts about these children, but I'm sad for their futures. These kids are not problem solvers or critical thinkers at all. They quit, take the easy way out or don't do it at all. I'm disgusted and so dismayed by their lack of work ethic. It's an epidemic with no signs of improving. The fact that my performance is tied to their achievement is just brutal.
kidsrme11 is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Mooba1, you're right
Old 04-09-2019, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Mooba1, I've also been subbing since retirement, and I agree with you. I've been at it for a number of years, and there's no doubt the kids are getting harder to deal with every year. Another year or two and I'm done.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 04-10-2019, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You totally summed up my feelings about teaching and kids today. I don't have enough mental health training to handle all of the students of trauma we have. Not sure how much longer I can do this...

roo is offline   Reply With Quote