Help

Classroom Management

Spelling lists in 4th grade?

>

SwollenAnkles

Spelling lists in 4th grade?
Old 04-09-2019, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Yes I am already thinking about next year! I don’t want to teach spelling lists. My team does. It is also part of our basal reader we use, Journeys. I know a lot of teachers don’t do the list and tests anymore. If you are one of them what do you do instead? Do you do some other form of word work? Do you test on that? Our standard is spelling in context, not lists. Suggestions?

SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 04-09-2019, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I havenít given a spelling test in three years. We read. A lot. We work on vocabulary. We talk about commonly misspelled words and have a reference sheet in our writing binders. We put new words we learn on our word wall. How do I ďtest?Ē We write daily and do a major writing every month (a week of presenting, a week of drafting, a week of revising, a week of editing and putting together a final draft). Word on the word wall or in the writing binder should be spelled correctly. We also discuss looking up words you arenít sure of the spelling on whether it be by asking a friend, asking me, googling (1-1 district), or using the dictionary. Their writing is where I get my spelling grades.

Iím sorry, but lists donít work. The kids know how to spell them Friday for the test and then write them incorrectly on Monday when you have them write in their journals or begin drafting a piece. I fully agree with the last part of your post. Context. It matters. They canít truly learn to spell by writing the words three times each, taking basically a rote memorization test, and then never seeing them again.
seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

Old 04-09-2019, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you! I completely agree! I feel the spelling list is a waste of time! Thank you for the input. My team is very stuck in their ways so I know I will be alone with getting rid of this out of date practice. I have only been teaching three years and needed some reassurance that is is okay to do away with this.
SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Spelling
Old 04-10-2019, 03:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What I would do - generally, the practice of a spelling list is not the greatest for the reasons already listed. But, that doesn’t mean it’s worthless.

I usually included our Journeys list with the book vocabulary as the vocabulary list of the week. I used it in word work centers, I used the activities Journeys provided as fillers, and fodder for cooperative learning. I didn’t test on them, though. I felt like it as important to acknowledge the words, and since phonics is a weakness in Journeys, the way they used patterns was helpful.

I taught second grade, though, and haven’t for two years. Take my opinion as you will!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote