Help

The VENT

When your students go to the next grade

>

Ameri

When your students go to the next grade
Old 04-05-2019, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you ever worry that you didn't do a good enough job teaching your students everything they need to know?

I have a challenging class this year with 30 kids in a primary grade. Almost half of my class came to me working well below grade level without being identified for sped.

While I have definitely worked hard, put students through cst, and growth has been made, I have this awful feeling that I didn't do a good enough job because I am sending kids on that are still technically behind.

How do I overcome this fear of being blamed and labeled bad teacher?!?!

Ameri is offline   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

Normal
Old 04-05-2019, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach fourth grade and my team and I worry about that every year! You are not alone! Our fifth grade team always gripes about what the kids donít know when they get them, which makes us feel even worse. Third grade brags about how smart they made the group and we ruined them. Pretty much we are the underdog grade. You are completely normal to worry. I am sure you did a great job.
SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Challenging Class
Old 04-06-2019, 02:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You are working hard and giving your students everything you've got. There are always students who are behind when they go to the next grade level.

When I was teaching I was happy to say goodbye to a challenging class at the end of the year.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 04-06-2019, 03:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you got them already behind and they made a year's growth in the year they were with you, then you can't ask for much more than that, can you?

We're not miracle workers and we can't make up two years in one year for the most part.

There will always be kids who are above grade level, at grade level, and below grade level. Don't beat yourself up over it!
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Overlightnes

Old 04-06-2019, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach upper elementary. My teammates and I know which of our colleagues work hard. Not every student is going to enter on grade level. A few years ago, I shifted my mindset from worrying about grade level to telling myself that it's my job to help them grow as much as possible. I'll teach stuff on grade level, below, or above; whatever is needed. Some years you have groups that can move and some years you have groups that you have to really take it slow.

What really grinds my gears is when you kill yourself helping a kid and then the next year teacher drops the ball.

Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

You are on the right track...
Old 04-06-2019, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Teach what you can. Not all kids are going to come to you on lvl, as you well know.
I am not sure if it is where I work or what, but I have very seldom met a teacher who I'd refer to as lazy.
Some teachers ( at different points in their lives) live school. They are the ones who often do a lot of extras that may or may not have to do w/ academics. I lived about 10 yrs of my life like that.
Others have learned to balance better, which either takes yrs or a certain personality type.
I feel really bad too if I work hard w/ a kid or really connect with a kid and the teacher next yr does not like them. It happens sometimes that different personalities just click better.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

It happens every year
Old 04-06-2019, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I also get kids every year that come in low and, while they made a year or more's worth of progress, they will be behind the next year. For me this happens every year because I get the "low" class with a lot of the behaviors (we have a 2/3 combo and that teacher gets all of the independent workers...who also happen to be all the high kids with no behavior). I feel like people lift up the other teacher and all of the great things she manages-but she has a dream team class and a ton of volunteers and parent involvement and I have never even had a room mom since I started at this school. But its apples to oranges.

I document where they started and where they end up in June. I show that I did my job and I send on that portfolio to the next years teacher who should be able to look at it and understand that I have done my job even if the kids are still low. If you documented through SST paper work and work samples then no one should be able to point a finger at you.

We are teachers after all, not magical beings-there is no magic wand to "fix" their difficulties.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote