Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Religious question

>

knitting987!

Religious question
Old 04-08-2019, 07:04 PM

Our pastor out of the blue says the US will be completely destroyed by nuclear bomb in the next year to 100 years according to Revelations. He believes the wars are starting so he preaches. Iíve been having nightmares and only sleep 3 to 4 hours since two months ago when he preached this. No warning nothing. It is disturbing to me. He also believes that we have to be well into the wars before Jesus returns with Jesus retiring in Africa or Europe. Everyone else just sits therein church. My husband believes all that is preached to him and is mad at me for disputing it. What does your church teach regarding Revelations and what do you believe about it?
Thanks for listening and sharing your beliefs.

knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-08-2019, 07:10 PM

I am active in a Lutheran (ELCA) church. Our church believes that Christ WILL come again. We leave it there. There is no reason, in my opinion to get caught up in the prophesies of Revelations. We are to always be prepared for the return of Christ, period.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 04-08-2019, 07:18 PM

Oh Nancy, I agree. Thank you. That is how I was raised. But Presbyterian. No one really spoke about it. Just be ready for the return. Not wars first then the return after suffering and most the world killed off.

ICrazyTeach

Old 04-08-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Matthew 24:36
But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of [a]heaven, but My Father only
I have sat through sermons, Bible studies, and conversations on Revelations throughout my entire life. I have never understood the need some people have for figuring it all out.
I know it all works out in the end. I don't have any fear or worry about how it all happens.

As far as my church's teachings...I have heard all kinds of interpretations and ideas. No one has gotten into trying to get specific about things like your pastor did.

Sorry to be disrespectful, but your pastor sounds like a wackadoodle.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 04-08-2019, 07:22 PM

I'm not currently attending a church, but when I was, I don't recall the pastor ever teaching specifically about how the prophecies of Revelation will be revealed. Do you feel comfortable speaking with your pastor about how he came to this conclusion? I must admit, it's been awhile since I've opened my Bible, but I don't think any specific time is mentioned. As BioAdoptMom mentioned, we should always be prepared in our hearts for Jesus to return.

2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 04-08-2019, 07:31 PM

We go to a very large church. He doesnít answer questions.

crazy4catz

Old 04-08-2019, 07:43 PM

I agree with icrazyteach. I have been taught that no one knows when the end times will come.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 04-08-2019, 08:08 PM

Well, the Bible doesnít say anything about a nuclear bomb, nor mentions Africa or Europe.

The very first chapter of Revelation mentions that itís purpose is to bless and comfort those who read it, not to scare anyone! My dad is a pastor, and Iíve studied through Revelation before. Itís not completely literal, and itís not meant to be used as a way to calculate when/how the end of the world is coming. People that try to look for specific signs are dispensational crazies (sorry). As others said, no one knows the time or hour Jesus will return. And people shouldnít try to make specific ďpredictionsĒ because then they just look stupid when it obviously doesnít come to pass. Revelation is full of symbols that would have (and still can) make sense to Christians who knew to Old Testament well.

The point of Revelation can be summed up like this: Jesus will come back to destroy Satan and sin once and for all. He will establish his kingdom in the new heavens and earth and believers will live forever with him. Good news, end of story.

Hereís an article I think explains it well:
https://www.ligonier.org/learn/artic...-for-all-time/
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Religious question
Old 04-08-2019, 08:11 PM

Um....I was raised Catholic and Episcopalian so take this for face value....

I think your minister is fear mongering.

If you are having nightmares, you need to stop listening to this person. God doesnít rule by fear and intimidation.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 04-09-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
We go to a very large church. He doesnít answer questions.
So he's supposed to be your spiritual leader, but he won't discuss why he says these things or answer questions about them? That's irresponsible at best and crazy and manipulative at worst. I apologize, but he sounds like a nut. I do not believe that God is out to do us all in. But then again, I don't worry much about the afterlife either. i believe we were put on this Earth to be good to each other, to work hard, to be honest, to use the gifts we've been given to make this a better place. Personally, I wouldn't attend that church at all, but if someone began ranting like that to me and I was there, I'd walk out.

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 04-09-2019, 03:23 AM

You have gotten yourself mixed up in a cult. The "doesn't answer questions" bit seals that absolutely for me. He is fear mongering and preying on the congregations weak points. I'm sure he's collecting money?

The most sensible thing you can do is walk away from this pitiful apology for a religious leader with your head held high.
Tiamat is online now   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Church
Old 04-09-2019, 03:29 AM

I am southern baptist. We are like Nancy.

My pastor preaches we need to love and witness to the lost and hurting. Not put fear into the believing.

As for large church: my church is 2000+ members and my pastor poured me coffee on a Wednesday night. Very accessible.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 04-09-2019, 03:36 AM

My opinion only:
People have been predicting the future based on Revelations since it was written. For some, based on their understanding, 1975 was going to be Armageddon. No reason to think your pastor's predictions are any more accurate.

Quote:
My husband believes all that is preached to him and is mad at me for disputing it.
This, to me, is a bigger concern. Questioning can bolster faith. If you question and then believe, your faith can be stronger. Belief without questioning can be just mindless parroting. (Not saying your husband's is. Just saying it can be.)

As to the worry and sleeplessness, you can only control what you can control.
Quote:
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.
You cannot change your husband, you cannot change your pastor, you can control what you think and believe.

We do not know the day or the hour. We can only strive to be our best every day, to live according to our faith. Sometimes we will fall short, but we can improve tomorrow. We control what we can and let go and let God handle the rest.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 04-09-2019, 03:36 AM

As some one who has been part of what I consider an end times obsessed, cult-like organization, all I want to yell at you is ďRUN!Ē

This sounds like the beliefs of that group. I canít tell you how many times I heard the sentence, ďbefore Christ returns there will be limited nuclear warfare on the eastern shore of the US.Ē I heard it so often that I started to believe it.

While I do feel there is great benefit for knowing the end times scriptures, I also know that ďno man knows the day or hour.Ē Scripture should bring hope, not fear. Satan is the author of confusion, not God. If confusion is insighted to the point of fear, something is wrong with the teaching.
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Jesus will come like a thief in the night.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:09 AM

No one knows when he will come. There was no such thing as a nuclear bomb when the New Testament was written. The Bible says that when he comes, those who believe will rise up to meet him in the air and will spend eternity with him.

When I was in Bible College, I took a class on the book of Revelation. Our professor was a hoot. When asked questions about when Jesus would come, he said, "Some are pre-millenialists, and some are post-millenialists. When asked which he was, he answered, "I'm a pan-millenialist. However it pans out is all right with me because God is in control."
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

ellenroo

Old 04-09-2019, 05:10 AM

I'm with most people on here, no one knows the day or time. Anyone who claims to know is attempting to become God himself with "knowledge." They want control of some sort. The Bible also mentions there will be many false prophets in the end times but never mentions how long the end times last. My husband, a pastor's kid, says he thinks we're in the end times. But he doesn't know how long the end times last. It could be tomorrow or 10,000 years. We just live our life and spread Jesus till he calls us home. I'd find a new church.
ellenroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 04-09-2019, 05:35 AM

You attend a church that uses fear and intimidation to control its congregation. Your preacher-he's no pastor- fans the flames of ignorance and fear. It keeps him powerful and plays to his "base."

Your husband uses fear and intimidation to control you. You've written about it here. There's a connection between men like your husband and pseudo-churches like the one you attend. They both try to justify their meanness and bullying by claiming it's based
in Scripture. There is nothing Christlike in their beliefs or behaviors. You should run from both.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Between next year and 100 years from now?
Old 04-09-2019, 06:17 AM

Wow, that's a really safe estimate. I predict the earth will be destroyed by earthquakes, floods, fires, stupid politicians, the greedy 1% (take your pick) in the next hundred years.

You have a choice. Find another church.
Clarity is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

This makes me so, so sad..
Old 04-09-2019, 06:29 AM

He believes the wars are starting. Iíve been having nightmares and only sleep 3 to 4 hours since two months ago when he preached this. No warning nothing. It is disturbing to me.

I don't think there is much I can say to make you not feel fear. I just can identify with you and your fear.

I grew up in a small town that bordered the Hudson River. We could see the NYC skyline from our high school windows. We had an air raid shelter in our school that contained water, food and who knows what else. We had air raid drills after seeing films that showed red dots where Russia targeted armed nuclear weapons. Our town was covered with a large red blotch. We were all alarmed and scared. We knew that if a weapon was fired we would all die. Every day the news covered the Cold War heating up. I watched the Cuban Crisis on tv in the church parlor and was terrified, until the Russian ship turned back.

We had nightmares, we had anxiety attacks and we were often depressed and did not see ourselves with a bright future or any future at all.

Yet, fast forward, here we all are today living the good life retired.

All I can say is to have hope. Live your life to the fullest and remember for 2,000 years people have been told what your preacher is preaching.

As far as what my church taught. I was Presbyterian and both my ministers just never preached Revelations. Neither of them the older one or the young minister who replace him even gave sermons on Hell. Our congregation was never encouraged to fear, only to love one another and to know that God loves us.

I am no longer a church member, but I am interested in the Bible and have read a lot about how it was combined from many books and how some books were left out and some were included. Revelations was a book that was highly disputed and it was one that was almost left out. I would encourage you to focus on the other gospels etc. and remember all the promises that were made to believers.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

slg

End times
Old 04-09-2019, 07:44 AM

I have some in-laws who have heard similar things from a pastor at one of their churches. He seems kind of obsessed about the end times, and my in-law parents, and two of the families are really into end times scripture as well. They have made predictions that have not come to pass. There are at least six main theories about the end times. I agree with the posters above: we do not know the time but we should have our own hearts prepared for meeting Jesus.

When my children first learned about the end times, they were scared by some of the things the Bible talks about. I talked to them about how sometimes when reading a suspenseful book or watching a suspenseful movie we want to skip to the end to find out how everything turns out. Well, in the case of the end of this world, we already know the ending and we know who is the victor.
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

My 2 cents
Old 04-09-2019, 07:45 AM

I agree with Keltikmom. This sounds like fear mongering. I would find a new church or, at the very least, tune out.
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 04-09-2019, 08:12 AM

Thank you so much for your responses. That does confirm Iím not crazy for feeling as I do. You are all smart wise women. Iíll try not to worry.

MKat

Old 04-09-2019, 08:30 AM

Not only is he fear mongering, but he's making stuff up. We don't get to decide how revelations plays out. That's kind of in "crazy" territory, IMO. Sometimes you have to ask yourself "just who does he think he is?" Being a pastor doesn't give you magic answers to the unanswered questions - so if he thinks it does, this is a problem.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 04-09-2019, 12:11 PM

My parents go to a very large church. I live in a different country, so I don't go there, but the pastor is willing to make appointments to talk to people. He also has people send in their questions to the website and sometimes during the service, he will take the time to answer questions and direct people to resources to give them more information. He said to never take what he says at face value. He said the congregation needs to search the Bible themselves.

I think it's important to have a pastoral staff who is easily accessible.
bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 04-09-2019, 01:35 PM

I studied Revelation at BSF about four years ago. Nothing your preacher said to you is true. Just read Revelation yourself.

People are crazy all over the world. Recently Louis Farakhan ( not sure of spelling) claimed to be Jesus!
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-09-2019, 03:13 PM

There have been "wars and rumors of wars" since the time of Peter, Paul, John, and all the apostles. They thought Christ's return was "imminent."

Everything that needs to be fulfilled for the "end times" has been fulfilled, and so Christians wait just as the Hebrews waited. It was around 700 years from Isaiah to Matthew, and it was much, much longer than that from Adam to Matthew. Prophecies don't have to be fulfilled quickly.

There is no mention of a nuclear bomb in Revelation, so the only reason he says that is because he is interpreting certain language to refer to a bomb. But even in as short (relatively speaking) a time as I have been alive, the specific language of Revelation has been thought to be all kinds of things - at one point, grocery scanners were a sign of the end times because we'd be able to implement the 666 code. Helicopters are supposedly the locusts. The eagle is supposed to be the US and the lion was England and the bear was the Soviet Union and the French are the rooster. The Reformers thought the Pope was the antichrist. Some Catholics thought some emperor I can't remember was the antichrist.

And the technology of holograms were how we'd see Jesus all at once around the world. And then CNN was a sign of the end times because everyone in the world could see Moses and Elijah at the same time. Then it was iphones. Then google glass. Again:

The only thing we do know is that we will not know.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Gromit
Old 04-09-2019, 03:18 PM
This message has been deleted by Gromit.

SwollenAnkles

Cult
Old 04-09-2019, 03:38 PM

Please he sounds crazy! Find a new church that makes you happy, not terrified. I am an atheist now, but was raised Methodist. The sermons were always happy, uplifting and meant to make you a better person. Even though I donít believe anymore I enjoy a good sermon. You should leave church better than when you entered it.
SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 04-09-2019, 03:56 PM

I am coming into this kind of late. Most of what I would have said, has already been said. We don't know when. The US was not named, nor our area singled out. We don't even know if a nuclear bomb will actually destroy any region now or ever. That's not for us to know. I learned about end of time prophecy 30+ years ago, and it used to really upset me. I got peace about it when I decided that as long as I was saved it didn't matter. I focused on my relationship.with the Lord, and living my life. If I am saved, it doesn't matter if the Lord comes during my lifetime or if I go by the grave as they say. The results will be the same-- an eternity with him. In my case, my pastor preached Bible, not his own "prophecies". I learned a lot from his messages. Over the years, I have heard similar messages from others in other churches. It also is important to try to confirm what is preached with what the Bible says.

Last edited by twin2; 04-10-2019 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: Added / deleted something
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 04-09-2019, 03:57 PM

Con men (mostly) have been making predictions about the end of the world for eons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...alyptic_events

I hope you're not giving this man a significant amount of money!
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Jasmine2010

I encourage you to check the link below.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:36 PM

https://davidjeremiah.blog/what-is-t...elation-about/

Dr. David Jeremiah is a well known Bible Scholar. I think you will find comfort in what he has to say.
Jasmine2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 04-09-2019, 05:48 PM

Only God knows when the end of time will come, not even Jesus himself, only our Heavenly Father. Who is anyone to put themselves in the place of God and say when it will happen? Your pastor has some mighty big britches. Live a good life. Live a kind life. Thatís all God asks...that we do our best to be good to one another. He controls all else.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote