Class just doesn't care -- team building? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Class just doesn't care -- team building?

>

woobie5

Class just doesn't care -- team building?
Old 02-17-2012, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my class to care. They did pretty well up until recently! They just don't care! They don't care that I just told them not to do something .... they do it anyway. They talk in specials, they are just plain naughty/sneaky! It's not just one or two .... it's most of the class.

I have pretty good classroom management .... but I feel like we need to do some team building or adjusting or SOMETHING! HELP!!!

Jenny

Old 02-17-2012, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you tried class points or group points to work towards some kind of negotiated reward? Perhaps if they choose the reward (something like special time at the end of the week, or some kind of party at the end of a certain time) it will give them incentive to get there. My kids think that 10 minutes free time on a Friday is the most fun thing ever. They havent worked out yet that everything in the classroom (games etc) is actually leading them towards learing one skill or another. I love tricking them into learning.

woobie5

Thanks ...
Old 02-17-2012, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes. We do that ;-( Doesn't phase them anymore. I've even switched it up.

BHERF

Minute to Win It
Old 02-19-2012, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My students love Minute to Win It. Give pts or tickets for positive behavior/responsible work habits. At the end of the week, the top team (or 5 students) participate in Minute to Win It. I have a box that I keep supplies in to set up a game in a minute. :-) I have paper plates and golf tees (have to get a certain # to stay standing in 1 minute), plastic frogs that can jump and small cups. I place the frogs on desks and the cups on the floor. Students must get the frog in the cup. Balloons: keep 1 or 2 balloons in the air for 1 minute. Unsharpened pencils, students place the pencils on the back of their hand and have to catch them in the same hand without dropping any, etc. I have a few small sponge ball, long rubber bands and frisbees that were promos at a teacher conference, I hang the frisbee by the rubber band, students have to throw the ball through the frisbee. I don't have anything in the box that cost much money but the students LOVE playing the games. Just playing the game is fun for the students and if anyone wins, they go to the prize box. The games take... one minute... so they do not cut into teaching time.

I also use the minute to win it idea to practice spelling words by teams... if your students can handle the competition.

Jenny

Old 02-20-2012, 12:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just checked out class dojo today. It looks quite exciting, maybe it could work for your class if you have a computer or whiteboard that they can use to track it on. I like that I can choose what the good/negative behaviours are.