Help

Fourth Grade

Moving from 1st to 4th!

>

Em1075

Moving from 1st to 4th!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just found out yesterday that next school year I will be making the switch from 1st grade to 4th grade. I am very excited about this new opportunity but I have always taught first grade and do not have much experience with upper elementary.

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions or things that they have learned in 4th grade that would be something good for me to know.

One thing I am really trying to figure out is an appropriate classroom management system for 4th grade. Right now in 1st grade I use a clip chart where the students can move their sticks up for positive behavior or down for bad choices. It works VERY well in 1st grade and I would love to implement something like that with the older kids, I just don't know how well they would respond to it or how to adapt it for the older ages. Does anyone have any other management systems that work well?

Thanks for all your help!

stephsauls

Money
Old 03-28-2012, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think the system that you are using could be adapted to 4th grade. I use a money system. My chart says, "Bad choices always cost you!" I have fake $1 bills (10 of them) in a pocket for each student. There is a price list; $1 for no name, $2 for not following directions, $3 for arguing with an adult, ect. You can set the prices. The first semester if they have $7 left at the end of the day they get a sticker on their behavior chart. After 10 stickers and signed by a parent they get a treat. The second semester it goes up to $8. I also have positive reinforcement things as I like to use those more. This works well.

mrszemog

same shoes
Old 03-28-2012, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's exactly what I did! I taught first grade for five years, and moved up to fourth this year. I'm enjoying it.
Discipline wise, I use the same two tools I used for my first graders. Daily Behavior Reports, these allow daily behavior feedback to parents. Student's behavior is rated on a scale from 1 to 5. I also use a Class Bingo. This consists of a 100s chart hung in the front, and a chart showing what class behavior earns what number of bingo numbers. For example, good report form a sub earns 5 numbers, good report for the Art teacher or Music teacher earns 1 bingo number. I also have a list of prize that will be collected after each class bingo is earned. For example, right now we're working on our fourth bingo which will earn us a Popsicle party. The fifth bingo will early us a pajama day.
I have found these to methods to work out. I have digital copies if you'd like them. Let me know.

kmrhg

California Cash and Behavior Chart
Old 03-29-2012, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use two different types of classroom management in my 4th grade classroom. One is my own incentive program where students earn/lose "California Cash" for certain behaviors and the other is the school wide behavior program.

California Cash is based off the token economy system where student earn and lose money for different things they are required to do in the classroom. For instance: they earn $5 a week for completing their classroom jobs, $1 each day for having their planner signed by a parent, or they lose money for not having their name on their paper -$1 or -$5 for not turning in a homework assignment. At the end of each trimester we have a classroom auction where student bring in donations from home and we auction the items off. Students may spend the money they've earned during this time.

The second method I use is a school wide behavior program. Students start with a total of 100% each day and amounts are subtracted based on 5 categories: Homework - 10%, Behavior - 15%, Supplies -5%, Parent Signature -5%, and Uniform Infractions -10%. If a student earns 3 warnings in one day, they are issued a detention. If the student falls at 0% or below in conduct for the week, they also earn a detention.

Both of these programs can be easily modified to fit the needs of your classroom. The detentions are obviously a school consequence, based on classroom behavior and not something of my own choosing. However, I do like the idea of having a behavior report to show parents on a daily basis.

If you would like copies of either of the programs I use, please email me. I am unable to post things at this time. Good luck! You'll love 4th grade!

Em1075

Class Bingo
Old 03-29-2012, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love the idea you shared about the Class Bingo system. I would love to have your digital copies of this! I've added my email below.

Thank you so much, I appreciate it!

emily.tempel(at)gmail.com

mrszemog

Emial
Old 03-29-2012, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just emailed those to you.

WestieLover

Classroom Bingo
Old 03-31-2012, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I also moved from first to fourth! Your Class Bingo sounds intriguing. May I also have a copy? iteachnh#gmail.com Thanks!

giocare

classroom management
Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am moving from 1st to 4th and both of your methods I would like to try. Can you please send me copies of both.
Thank you

burnett4#charter.net

msmath214

Moving to 4th grade too
Old 04-10-2012, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Would you all please send me the info as well I am moving to 4th grade next year and would like all the help I can get.

msraine2000#gmail.com

purplehippo

1st to 4th...resources
Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Bless your heart...my K,1,2 teachers walk on water in my eyes! I could never have done all that they do! Hopefully you will like the independent pacing more

I have been teaching for 20 yrs. (19 of them at 4th) The only thing that I can offer you is resources that I have. If you email me, over the summer I can transfer any units that I have that your team might be using. I also have plenty excel items that will help you with management. My systems of rewards and incentives changes to match the theme of the units. I am sure you will develop what works best for you!

To me what works best is a secure schedule and making sure that the students have some control in making sure that schedule is followed. Attached is a sample of what my schedule looks like.

Welcome aboard!
Amy Lyon

alyon#highlandschools.org

Attached Files
File Type: xls Schedule to share.xls (138.5 KB, 79 views)

kiwi03

May I have the material as well
Old 04-24-2012, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I would love any material you have to offer. Next year will be my 2nd year teaching and it will be in 4th. I would love some help. Email keela.osborne#russellville.kysc hools.us. Thank You!!!

BHERF

Would love a copy of bingo board
Old 05-13-2012, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am moving to 4th and would love a copy of the bingo board
rfisher(at)richland2.org THANK YOU!

sunandmoon

Looking for help!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am also moving from first to fourth. I am excited and trying to gather as many new ideas as possible. It is overwhelming at times! I love your bingo ideas. could you send me a copy as well?

christinemwolfe#verizon.net

Thank you!