Help

Fourth Grade

interactive notebooks?

>

AniFan15

interactive notebooks?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In prepping for 4th grade next year, I'm thinking of implementing interactive notebooks. Do you use them? How? Are there any resources you recommend I check out? I've been on Pinterest all night

Thanks!

daffodils

interactive notebooks
Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use them in social studies and really like them. IMO they take a lot of prep the first year or two you use them, but now they're easy and awesome for me to implement. Some things, like a table of contents, I decided after the first year was more trouble than it was worth. Here's what I do:

At the start of each unit, students decorate a page with the title of the unit.
We number each page--numbering can be a pain, because kids misnumber or skip pages when numbering, etc. You could have each unit start back over with page 1 or number it like some text books so you have A1, A2, etc and then the next unit is B1, B2, etc.

Backs of pages=teacher given materials
Fronts of pages=student work

I typed up notes for each standard and put them in a text box that would fit the page (we use composition books). Kids cut out the text box, and glue the notes to the page. I made my notes in a question/answer format (I've attached a copy of one of my notes). We "cloud" the question with a colored pencil (make a cloud shape around the question) and then underline key words or facts. We might also use a pencil to write in the definition, number things, or write an extra piece of info.

Other teacher given materials might be a chart, web, etc. Mainly though, it's notes.

On the student side:
Every day starts with a question of the day (QOTD) that reviews the previous day. Kids copy the question, then answer it. They can use their notes if needed. We discuss the answer. Questions range from factual (what year was Jamestown founded?) to comparisons to explaining what they already know about something.
I also do a lot of picture drawing, chart making, venn diagrams, etc on the student side.
Student side might also include maps that they create

Parents really liked that the notes were typed up and glued in--that way not being able to read the notes, being absent, etc wasn't an excuse. Every kid at least had the notes. Absent kids could borrow a friend's notebook and duplicate what they missed.

Prep:
Type up all the notes--this is why the first year took longer!
For each unit, make your personal copy ahead of time to make sure the order makes sense and you have materials.

Training:
It takes a while at first to train the kids in cutting and gluing in the notes effectively. I had to use the timer a lot or they waste time. Also, even my 4th graders needed lessons on how much glue!
Copying the QOTD before writing an answer took training too.
Paying attention to what page number something goes on took training--if they write/glue on the wrong page, it makes it harder when I say "turn to page 87 and look at your notes."

Overall, the kids and I liked it and I have very high social studies state testing scores.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Notes for 3b Geography of Jamestown.docx (10.7 KB, 151 views)

BHERF

More about interactive notebooks
Old 05-12-2013, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just to piggy back on the previous post, I copy the notes on two separate documents and then run them off "2 per page". That way I simply cut the pages in half and they are the perfect size to glue into the composition notebooks. The students glue the paper on the right side of the pages and add their own "show what you know" to the left side. The student is to show their understanding of the material in any way they would like. Words, pictures, cartoons... whatever makes sense to them. The "show what you know" can take a little time, but it has been very helpful to catch their understanding, especially for those students who struggle with reading and writing.

2kiddies

Old 05-17-2013, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you want a math interactive notebooks there is one on teacherspayteachers. It is from Runde's Room. I subscribe to her blog and she posts some of the pages. It looks AMAZING. I am not teaching math next year but she is making a reading one. I cannot wait for her to post it!

LindyJo

INs
Old 05-25-2013, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My students always needed more space than the one page, especially when they were writing some kinds of story (Day in the Life of a Raindrop during our weather study was one of their favorites) and it started to get quite annoying! A secondary teacher friend of mine used a 1a, 1b, 1c, type of numbering system, so I adopted that this term. It's proving to be slightly less of a hassle than the pre-numbered, notes on one side reflection on the other. Just an idea for you!