Help

The VENT

HIB investigation

>

missamberlori

HIB investigation
Old 03-01-2019, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Need advise-Very Stressed! A parent of a student with behavior issues-big issues accused and filed a harassment complaint against me. That was at the beginning of the school year and was investigated and unfounded. The student was taken out of my class. Apparently, there were issues at the new location. The district put the student back in the school I work and the principal put the student back in my classroom. This has put me in a very stressful situation. The student's behaviors have continued. I document and call security. Do I have any rights at all? My Union says No because they do not have any control over student's class placement. Any advise?
Physically and emotionally sick over this!

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-01-2019, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would request the student be moved due to the investigation at the beginning of the year. He never should have been placed back in your room.

LuvMyRatties

Ummm, NO!
Old 03-01-2019, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That child would NEVER be in my class. Immediately go to admin and state that do to the prior allegations, this child is to be moved from your class. If they don't, call your Union rep or file a grievance against your admin.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-01-2019, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't care what your Union says, they do have some control of it. I would check your contract. In mine we have what's called an Article 16 where we can request a child be moved from our room.

Ima Teacher

Old 03-01-2019, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would ask the student be placed in another class due to the previous accusation.

travelingfar

Not Good
Old 03-01-2019, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Get back in touch with the union and tell them that the student needs to be removed from your class. If the person you talk to isn't helpful, speak to someone who is higher up in the union.

Last edited by travelingfar; 03-02-2019 at 01:53 AM..
123456789ten

123456789ten

Old 03-01-2019, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Holy Guacamolees! What an incompetent P you have. IMO, he was taken out of your classroom before. Therefore, the decision should stand even if he/she was transfer to the same school again. I don't have any words of wisdom for you. I would make sure you keep your distance from this student since he has accused you before. He/she won't have a problem doing it again. It is awful to teach in a situation like this. There is got to be some procedure at your school to have the student remove from your class. I believe you have grounds for an exception. My best advice would be to ask the P for the procedure. How can they even think this arrangement is going to be beneficial for anyone involve.

UVAgrl928

Old 03-02-2019, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is terrible! And itís terrible your union isnít supporting you. I had a student that needed to be removed from my room, and the moment I even mentioned the union, admin moved him.

Also, until they move him- cover your ass. Document everything! Try to have a witness present as much as possible when interacting with him (especially when having a meltdown). I had a teammate that would have a student come get me when there was an issue and stand in between our classes so she had a witness.

FLteachESE

Old 03-02-2019, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would go above princes head and let them know that this parent has already filed a complaint and you will not be sitting in this position again.

Then find an attorney if the union refusing to help. I think its bull chit that the union is refusing. As GG said we also have a Teacher Authority Act clause in our contract that states a teacher has the right to have a child removed from their class.

You do not deserve this.

missamberlori

Now I have to fill out the CST evaluation
Old 03-02-2019, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Now the mother of the child wants a Child Study Evaluation. I already told the principal I do not feel comfortable with this. I do not want to be involved at all with any of this. I was advised I am required to. It is due by Monday-I hate my job! I am going to the doctor on Monday. It is so abusive what they are doing to me.

missamberlori

Had a Big Meeting
Old 03-02-2019, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I had a big meeting about this-It did not matter at all!

missamberlori

How do I file a grievance?
Old 03-02-2019, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

How do I file a grievance?

marguerite2

Old 03-02-2019, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
My Union says No because they do not have any control over student's class placement.
Grievances usually start with the union. Who did you talk to? If it was administration, go to the building rep. If it was the building rep, go to someone in the local office. If it was the local person, talk to someone at the state level.

It is true that unions do not control class placements, but this is not the typical placement. The response you say you were given is not one Iíd expect to hear.

Summerwillcom

I am very sorry that you are dealing w/
Old 03-02-2019, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

this. I am not sure who you talked to in your union, but I'd go to the Union President w/ this situation because you should not have to tolerate it.
I'd be very leery of filling out a child study form too.
Your P is sadly lacking in common sense.
I wish you the very best!

missamberlori

Emailed Union Rep Again
Old 03-02-2019, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I just emailed union rep again. Not very optimistic she will do anything to help. I feel I am the one being harassed at this point.

linda2671

Totally ridiculous
Old 03-03-2019, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Your principal is clearly incompetent, and your union is no help at all. I have no advice, but I sympathize with you. I think I'd quit paying union dues after this.

missamberlori

Old 03-03-2019, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Thanks-of course union rep did not answer because it is the weekend. I also emailed the person in charge of HIB investigations to let her know the parent is beginning to question me again. I asked what protection I have. I am not hopeful that anyone will do anything. I just completed the CST evaluation form I was required to fill out. I just made sure that everyone knows I am not comfortable with it. I also took out the part that lists me as the referring teacher and changed it to classroom teacher.
Little difference it will make at the meeting with the crazy mother when she blames me for this process going forward.

chipmunky

Someone..
Old 03-04-2019, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

mentioned not paying union dues. Please think long and hard before making decisions about this. In our state we can chose which unions we belong to. One year I chose not to join the local union because of some bad decisions they made the previous year. I did continue to join the county, state and national union. I wanted to make sure that if somehow I was sued or accused of something I would have the best lawyers at the unions' expense. This of course may work differently where you are.

missamberlori

Union Will Not Do Anything
Old 03-06-2019, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

So apparently the only time the NJEA will get involved is if the meeting is disciplinary in nature. The district and the principal are within their rights to place the student back in the class even if the parent has accused me of harassment. I have to be involved with the parent because I have her child in my class. I have no right to refuse or to have a union rep at the child study meeting because it is a private meeting.
I did not get any response to if the meeting will be recorded. The parent wanted to video record the last meeting and she was told she could only audio tape the meeting. I think she does it as a form of intimation. I asked if I would be permitted to make my own recording if she is permitted to do so. Waiting for a response.
I did get the principal and my building counselor to sit in on this meeting because they are both directly involved in the situation. I am going to try and just keep my mouth shut! I hope I don't flip out or say anything nasty because I really feel humiliated for being put in this situation at all.
Can't wait until this is over but the truth is There are more violent children, rude parents, co-workers, and administrators that will throw you under the bus in a hot second all while singing kumbaya and giving you false praises to your face! Can't truth anyone!!