The VENT

I love technology but not everyone else does

>

Billie1424

Billie1424

I love technology but not everyone else does
Old 03-05-2019, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach kindergarten and use a lot of technology. I’ve been teaching for 6 years and have always loved how technology transformed me as a teacher and my kids as learners. I’ve received numerous awards and recognition for how I use technology in my classroom and pride myself on it. Unfortunately, there are several teachers at my school who 1) don’t embrace technology 2) look down upon those who regularly use it in the classroom (especially with kindergartners). I was told today that I need to be more of a “kindergarten teacher” and “understand” that kindergarten is a unique grade level and that doing more “art projects” (like researching an animal and making a cut-out paper craft of that animal) is “more kindergarten”. It was really upsetting to hear this because from what I understand, I’ve been doing a pretty great job as a kindergarten teacher and it made me feel badly to hear I’m not doing “typical kindergarten” things.

Zia

Old 03-05-2019, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Who cares? Was it your boss who told you that? Otherwise, hens gonna cluck. You do what works for you.

So far as fine motor activities go, I firmly believe that is a crucial part of ECE, but there are tons of ways to skin that cat.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-05-2019, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also love technology. Someone I really admire told me technology has its place but you can’t use it for higher order thinking and shouldn’t be used regularly. It really upset me.

I went to go see Matt Miller and it really solidified that what I was doing was right.

Keep doing you. You know what you’re doing is best for your kids and your teaching style.

Keltikmom

Technology
Old 03-05-2019, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I believe there is much use for technology in teaching. However, I know, and have done the research, that a small amount is enough for kinder. There is proof that too much screen time inhibits brain growth and in some cases, induce ADHD like behaviors.

Shell

Old 03-05-2019, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach kinder and use a ton of technology. That's the way our students learn these days. They are excited by it. I would love to hear about some of the things you do with it!

pdxteacher

Old 03-05-2019, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I get it. I use a ton of tech with my middle school life skills class. Tech doesn't mean kids passively looking at their iPads all day long - it includes a ton of different modalities. Smile, shut your door, keep doing your thing.

all41

Tech in Kinder
Old 03-06-2019, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sorry you are being judged by others. It sounds like you incorporate teaching strategies you are good at and the students enjoy. You mentioned researching animals, then making a cut out paper craft about that animal. You are teaching valuable research skills, developing thinking and analyzing skills as the students make a paper project about that animal, and you are showing value to the small motor skills practice needed in kindergarten by doing the paper projects. Win, Win, Win in my book. Unless it is your supervisor telling you to change your teaching practice then you keep doing what you think is best for your kiddos.

iteachk2010

Old 03-06-2019, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach K, too. We use technology throughout the day. I am very comfortable with my students using technology because of how it is used and because I still include the traditional, developmentally-appropriate kindergarten activities in our day.

Here is the link to the position statement on use of technology in early childhood posted by the NAEYC and the Fred Rogers Center for Early Learning and Childhood Media at St. Vincent's College. https://www.naeyc.org/sites/default/...nology_WEB.pdf

The concern about screen time is real for our little ones and has been around for a while. Years ago the concern was about children sitting passively in front of a TV.

The other concern would be if you are using technology in place of ECE activities-i.e. fine motor activities.

Think about how your students and you use the technology. Is it passive or is there interaction? Do you also provide opportunities for play, social interactions, manipulating materials, working on fine motor skills, creating... during the day? Is there a purpose for the technology? Is there a balance between use of technology and doing developmentally-appropriate activities?

kahluablast

Old 03-06-2019, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Most people I know who say they use a lot of technology use it for playing games or listening to reading, like starfall, prodigy, moby max, ixl, ect. I don't think students should be at school playing electronic games for a large portion of the day.

I do think using it to augment curriculum in interactive ways is great.

As educators, we do need to have discussions on what amount and how we use tech and how it affects children.

MAsped

Old 03-06-2019, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You didn't say WHO said this to you. Other coworkers, who cares. But if it's the P, then it's something to think about since he/she will probably try to hear, "get reports", or even do impromptu classroom walk-ins later to see if you've changed things a bit.

I can see how people think doing technology stuff is just playing around, etc., but you obviously have a purpose/goal in mind and it's benefitting the kids.

123And456789

123And456789

Old 03-06-2019, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Not against technology at all but the use of it should be balanced. Education has made teachers technology slaves and students tech robots. From entering online grades, taking attendance, learning a new programs or applications that some techy guy just found out about to being required to post your lessons online, build websites and many times the teacher has to learn all of it on their own. Like I said before, I am not against the use of technology just and the importance given to it. For instance there was nothing wrong with the way we took attendance or grades before technology. I've spent hours upon hours learning and trying out online grading systems. They should pay for training, time spent learning and making assignments and give PDP toward our license renewal. By the way, I am great with technology, use it pretty often but also see it for what it is.

NJ Teacher

It's no one's business but yours...
Old 03-06-2019, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I don't get why anyone else other than possibly an administrator would feel that they needed to tell a colleague what is appropriate for their grade level. So long as you are following whatever the district's curriculum is, if you choose to enhance it with technology, that's great. Sounds like there is some professional jealousy going on at your grade level. I have seen the educational atmosphere change from collegial to competitive thanks to all the changes. Sharing should be going on if warranted, not criticism. Ignore them as best you can, they are out of line here.

missamberlori

Wish they would train us.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I love technology too! The problem is that the district throws things at us from technology and new curriculums with Zero training! The new teachers or younger teachers know how to use many of the things veteran teachers do not. I am a jealous of teachers that know how to use technology so effortlessly and effectively in their classrooms. I wish the district would truly have in-services and offer training on the things we need to know.

Zia

Old 03-06-2019, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

NJTeacher said this very well:
Quote:
I don't get why anyone else other than possibly an administrator would feel that they needed to tell a colleague what is appropriate for their grade level.

We all have opinions, but it is not another teacher's place to express to you how you should use instructional time. If an admin or mentor said this, it's different. But, if it's a colleague, s/he can go pound sand.

UVAgrl928

Old 03-06-2019, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Honestly, if it's coworkers, some of it is probably a little bit of jealousy since you are being recognized for the outstanding things you are doing in your classroom <3 but I understand it can be really disappointing to not have the approval of your colleagues.

There are so many fabulous things you can do with portfolio apps, such as Seesaw, to have K kids interact with technology (not just sit in front of a screen). I actually went to the Apple store for a training last night and was amazed by the things students can do to actively create. If you haven't checked out this teacher on Twitter, I'm always amazed by the things her Ks do! https://twitter.com/gardnerkb1
Emily26

Emily26

Old 03-06-2019, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I don't know what technology usage looks like in your classroom, but I'm seeing it overused almost everywhere. At my school, anyone in 3-8 grade is pretty much parked in front of a Chromebook all day long under the guise of "developing 21st century learners" and it's BS. A worksheet on a computer is still a worksheet. Kinders need to move, socialize, develop fine motor skills, read all the books they can get their hands on, and play. If your technology is preventing that, then yeah, you're doing them a disservice. If they're sitting in front of a Smart board all day, then you're blowing it and hurting your kids. If you're using technology to supplement the kindergarten curriculum, then do you, boo. But I wouldn't automatically assume that your critics are dinosaurs who don't appreciate what learning can look like in 2019, though. I find a lot of younger teachers are a little arrogant when it comes to assuming any teacher over the age of 30 doesn't know what they're talking about. Personally, I wouldn't put my kindergarten children in a classroom where technology usage was more than 5% of the school day...

Angelo

Emily26
Old 03-06-2019, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

You are responding to points the OP never made.

The OP never called non-adopters “dinosaurs.”

The OP never told us her age.

The OP never described parking kids in front of a SmartBoard.

It sounds as though you have issues with people in your own neck of the woods and are trying to frame the OP’s vent according to that narrative.

This is a pet peeve of mine on PT: when people start adding points of supposition that are not present in the original post and then begin responding to their own points rather than those actually raised. I’ve had this happen in response to some of my posts. People seem to be annoyed / triggered by something I didn’t actually write because they assume they know what I really meant or where I was coming from. And I’m like... ummmm... no... that’s not actually what I wrote.

eagles23

Old 03-06-2019, 09:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We had this very conversation in a multigrade tech meeting yesterday. Some expressed concerns about the use of tech while others said they loved it. The final consensus was to each his own.

DeeDee3073

Old 03-06-2019, 10:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

1. I wouldn't take what these other people told you unless they are your evaluators or principal.

2. I sort of agree with them. I haven't been in your classroom. However, I know that integrating technology is often putting on headphones and doing a computer program. I've seen it take the place of reading conferences and 1 on 1 time with teachers. I've seen assignments were students are supposedly researching countries/animals/etc. and then making powerpoints ie. copying and pasting pictures and inevitably copying and pasting facts or reading facts and retyping them. Of course kindergarteners are excited about it b/c it's all new to them. My son is 19 and I've seen technology overused and abused under the guise of integration. I teach middle/high at a 1:1 macbook school so I'm not opposed to technology if it's used thoughtfully and for things that students can't do with pencil and paper.

However...

3. What teachers do in their classroom is NOT by business. See #1

HoHumBeachBum

Old 03-07-2019, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Hi all. My name is BeachBum. I am a paper using addict.

Due to the internet being up/down constantly, I refuse to rely on it to do what I prefer to do with paper & a writing utensil.

A colleague encourages me to use (much more) technology in my class. That colleague admits to spending a lot of time creating games and activities to display on the electronic interactive board.

For the past 5+ years, that colleague's students and my students have averaged the same test score results.

Both my colleague and I still enjoy teaching with whichever methods we prefer once our doors are closed.

Last edited by HoHumBeachBum; 03-07-2019 at 10:49 AM..

Kinderkr4zy

It can be done well
Old 03-07-2019, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Billie- I used to teach K and pre-k and while we did use a little tech (Heidi songs letter videos projected on the white board, 20 minutes on ABCmouse.com and those leapfrog tag reader pens for listening to read aloud books) I didn’t use a whole lot.

Now I am in third and I use a ton and I realized about 100 ways I could have used it in a developmentally appropriate way in k. You could have them trace letters with Ozobot pens and then watch their robots follow the path -that’s coding, fine motor and letter identification and all of those are prefect. I also think they would get a ton out of google expeditions or nearpod VR. I used a nearpod with my buddy first grade class last week to walk around in Antarctica and observe penguins for their unit on polar animals and it was perfect-we found penguin dad that was regurgitating into a babies mouth and the kids were so excited to see what they learned about from their teacher .

I think you are fine and most people would be amazed at how you can use technology in a DAP way in K-they just haven tried it ir seen it done well first hand. You do you boo! And do it flawlessly

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 03-07-2019 at 08:52 PM..

Sbkangas5

Old 03-07-2019, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

You do what works for you and your kids. As long as their social and fine motor development is still given the time it needs, technology can be great for kinders.

I teach kinder and don't use technology often. But I also live in the technological black hole of our school and it is always a constant issue just to get things to actually work. I've decided the frustration is not worth the benefit.