Help

The VENT

ReadyGen Curriculum

>

missamberlori

ReadyGen Curriculum
Old 04-13-2019, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone teach ReadyGen? It is our new curriculum and it is not developmentally appropriate at all. I teach (or at least try to) teach second grade. The requirements especially, in writing are so above the abilities of this age group that most of them should be failing.
I am overwhelmed with the amount of work I have to do everyday just to keep my head above water. I just had my sneak attack observation and I am sure it will be horrible. I was giving a test in phonics during that time and because four of the students (no matter how slowly I ask the questions) cannot keep up I have to take a small group after every test in every subject to try and get them caught up.
I teach regular education but because of budget cuts it is almost impossible to get a student even evaluated for special education never mind get any additional help.
Anyway we are suppose to be teaching what is called bell-to-bell instruction on a strict time schedule. I never have been able to teach this way but it has never been this bad. Needless to say I am afraid of the scores I will receive on this evaluation.
I was going to stop and do Readygen reading/writing but honestly it takes so long to get anything up on the smartboard, find what we should be doing, and settle the little crazies that I just kept doing learning centers because at least the kids know where to go and what they should be doing.
I guess it is what it is at this point-can't redo it now!

VivianCP

Old 04-15-2019, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel your pain. We have been in the process of looking at new curriculum & when we looked at ReadyGen, we noticed what you stated. It was waaaay above the kids' level, and I teach in a school where most kids are on or above level. We didn't like it. Glad we didn't adopt it. (I hope we can find something better but at this point, it seems like all the teachers are split on what they want.)

I hope your eval went better than you think. We are always the most critical of ourselves. Good luck!

missamberlori

VivianCP
Old 04-15-2019, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks I hope so too!
Readygen is brutal on teacher and students. So glad your district was smart enough to not buy into it. This is only the first year so, hopefully next year will be better. Can't get worse right?

VivianCP

Old 04-22-2019, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The first year with new curriculum is always hard, until you figure out what is essential and where you need to give supports & the students below you start coming in with the prerequisite skills needed. I hope it gets better & you can find a way to make it work for you and your students.
MSharber

MSharber

ReadyGEN reviews
Old 12-30-2019, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My school district is getting ready to adopt a new series next year. We are considering ReadyGEN. I need your feedback if you have been using this program for over a year. Tell me your pros and cons of the program. Thanks!