Help

The VENT

Waiting to Retire

>

missamberlori

Waiting to Retire
Old 11-13-2019, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Venting because this is a vent board! I do understand that I am wrong as well but again just venting. I work in a school where a relative (child) goes to school in. Yes, I wish he didn't but he does. I love this child and the child has a difficult life at home. I have on probably 3 different times gone to the classroom and either asked to talk to the student for approximately 3 minutes if that or gone in during a holiday party to say hello for 3 minutes and today before I was put in my place to try and check if he had his coat or medication-by the teacher for interrupting her lesson.
Yes, Yes, I get it First grade is important! Hell every grade is important and I probably should not have gone in and asked to talk to him. I honestly wasn't thinking in teacher terms just relative terms and concern but really the teacher who happens to be my co-worker was so rude! Maybe that is what she thinks of me as well-but .... it is hard-period...it is hard!
I am a teacher too-and probably never should have become one but know just waiting for retirement-hopefully 5 years or God Willing, Hoping, Praying, and Believing-Sooner. Family is more important and some of these teachers are so full of themselves that it is impossible for me to even say anything.

TeacherPK6

Old 11-14-2019, 03:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
Family is more important and some of these teachers are so full of themselves that it is impossible for me to even say anything.
I don't know exactly how that teacher reacted, so maybe it was inappropriate, I don't know, but this upset me. Her not wanting you to just pop in her room is not meaning that family isn't important. When someone comes in, even as unobtrusively as possible, it can distract all the kids. Sometimes that is necessary, but (in my school at least) if you were a child's relative (even the parent) coming to check on a child, they would not let you come down to the classroom, even just for 3 minutes.

Maybe you could try checking in on your relative during lunch? That would probably be a great time, if it works with your schedule. Holiday parties (like you mentioned) should be fine too. If not, I recommend trying to go the same route that you would have to go through if you didn't work there (email the teacher, leave a message, etc). If she was reacting rudely, I'm sorry that happened. We're all human and make mistakes. If that's a pattern for her, even in other situations, then she's just a not very nice person, and that's more a reflection of her than you. However, I don't think her not wanting you popping in at a seemingly random time in her lesson is being "full of herself."

I hope the rest of this year goes more smoothly for you!

bGracie

Old 11-14-2019, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I recommend trying to go the same route that you would have to go through if you didn't work there (email the teacher, leave a message, etc).
That's great advice!

missamberlori

Agree
Old 11-14-2019, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know you are right. I should not have gone into the class. I think my concern just got the best of me. I need to keep my distance. It is not my child.

momabaarjo

Old 11-14-2019, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When you are going into the classroom during a class or party you are interrupting that teacher and the other students. There are other times in the day that you could have pulled them aside for a few minutes. If I was the teacher, I would have put you in your place too and you probably would have called me rude...but you were rude first.

travelingfar

Coming into a Classroom
Old 11-14-2019, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I understand why the teacher didn't want you coming in the classroom to talk with the child. It can be disruptive to have someone interrupt a lesson. I would touch base with him during lunch or recess instead.

I don't understand your comment saying that some teachers are full of themselves because they won't let you stop by when instruction is going on.

Last edited by travelingfar; 11-14-2019 at 04:52 PM..

annie_g

Old 11-14-2019, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I did not like it when other teachers interrupted my teaching for any reason. Surely there are many transition times when you could check in with the child, like on the way to specials or lunch/recess. It is disrespectful and disruptive to come into another teacher's classroom for non-emergency reason, IMO.

noonespecial

Old 11-14-2019, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree with pp. You were wrong to go in to check on the child. No other parent/relative is allowed to do this and I would have also told you about it. You have definitely overstepped. You need to apologize and stop checking in. There are other times like lunch and recess if it’s a necessity. My own children were in a school I taught at for two years. Not once did I ever check in on them.

I do not understand your statement, “some teachers are so full of themselves...” It really seems like you are missing the point of your inappropriate behavior.

twinmom95

Old 11-14-2019, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I find your post confusing. You were wrong to interrupt, and should apologize and stay out of the classroom, but why that became a vent about family being more important, some teachers being full of themselves, and hoping to retire before 5 more years is beyond me

Seems like an over reaction on your part.

cutecat

Old 11-14-2019, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I teach first grade. When anyone comes into my classroom, it completely throws everything off. No one understands that like a primary teacher does. At our school, families need to check in with the office...they can't just pop in the classroom. The office dismisses all students from the office or has the student come down to the office if the families need to see them. This helps so much!!!

missamberlori

Just a Job not my Friend
Old 11-16-2019, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for the support

missamberlori

Not Going to apologize
Old 11-16-2019, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I will stay out of her room for sure-but really then don't come to my room when she won't eat lunch for me to go to the lunch room-but honestly this is a vent so I can vent my feeling. This is early elementary Not College and I doubt if my visit to a classroom is going to keep anyone of the DEAN's List! My reaction was to the way I was ordered out of the room. I agree it is within her right but again there is a way to ask someone not to interrupt in a civil manner. I can admit I was wrong but her over importance of herself and power in the classroom was disrespectful. This is my opinion. I will stay away for sure and will go to the office during my prep and ask for them to call the room if I ever need to talk with my relative again.
I too hope to retire before 5 years because I hate my job! I dislike co-workers who are rude when they can be kind!

annie_g

Old 11-16-2019, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I dislike co-workers who are rude when they can be kind!
But you were the one being rude by interrupting her class. 🤔🤔🤔

As a teacher, you must know all the interruptions that can happen in a day. Maybe yours was the one that broke the camel's back.
Emily26

Emily26

If it's not your child...
Old 11-17-2019, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

And not your classroom, you really have no business interrupting class to spy on anyone...