Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Seriously what do you think

>

kahluablast

Seriously what do you think
Old 05-26-2022, 03:03 PM

About the idea of teachers carrying guns? Elementary teachers? Can you imagine?

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote
JanetL
Old 05-26-2022, 03:07 PM
This message has been deleted by JanetL.

hoppalong

Old 05-26-2022, 03:14 PM

No, I cannot imagine it. The thought of turning off my "teacher brain" and turning on my "gun carrying" brain in the matter of a few seconds would probably cause more harm than good. I will do whatever it takes to protect my students, including laying down my life for them, but I will NEVER carry a gun in school.

I also know that when law enforcement enters a school to find an intruder, they don't stop to ask people they see carrying guns if they are the "good" guy or the "bad" guy. They are trained to disarm others. So teachers and other staff members carrying guns may end up injured/killed themselves.
hoppalong is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-26-2022, 03:16 PM

I would be extremely anxious if there were other teachers in the building carrying guns. I know people who are for this idea love to say, "It's voluntary! Only those who want to carry can!" Of course I wouldn't volunteer, but I'm not comfortable with other teachers doing it either. What if a student gets a hold of it? What if the teacher has a mental breakdown themselves? What if, god forbid, in a real life situation, the teacher tries to be the "good guy with a gun" and misses/ends up hurting other students? Or misreads a situation and shoots prematurely (I'm thinking of the child who was holding a toy gun and killed for it)?

When police show up, how are they supposed to tell the difference between the "good guy with a gun" and "bad guy with a gun?" That actually happened here last year- a citizen was trying to be the "good guy with a gun" and police shot and killed him. They were responding to an active shooter scene, and saw a man holding a gun. How were they to know that he wasn't the criminal?

I have heard the argument that there are some places that are so rural, that the nearest police station/emergency response is like 40 minutes away. If that's really true (can't say I've checked into it, as I would never want to live anywhere like that), then I could maybe see making the argument that if teachers want to take on that responsibility, they can. I would still argue that a security guard would make more sense in that situation, but as we know, security guards don't seem to be able to help with school shootings anyway.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 05-26-2022, 03:16 PM

I donít even have to think about it, itís a hard no for me.

There are so many reasons why I think it is an absolutely awful idea.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Old 05-26-2022, 03:21 PM

No, no, no! Ridiculous idea!

SusaninNJ is online now   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 05-26-2022, 03:25 PM

No way. I own a gun that stays in my nightstand. I live alone, and still worry that something bad could happen with it. I would be a wreck thinking that one of my students could get ahold of that gun. And I'm not carrying it on me, no way.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-26-2022, 03:27 PM

Teachers are not even trusted with curriculum.Why pass out guns like they are candy? "Good guy with a gun" is obviously not a viable strategy.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 05-26-2022, 03:28 PM

No. I do not have the temperament for that.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 05-26-2022, 03:33 PM

We were a go in my district. It is on hold at the state level. The training was going to be insane before a teacher was allowed to carry. They had to go through all of the psychological testing of an officer and the full gun training of an officer. Complete with yearly qualifying tests. No one was supposed to know who was carrying to keep them from being a target. I am extremely mixed in my feelings but after the level of training, I felt a little better. A teacher with a CCP couldn’t just decide to take their gun to work one morning.

We are a rural district. We have 1 officer for 3 buildings. Backup could be a while depending on where the other sheriffs are in the county. The town 7 minutes away would respond even though it isn’t in their jurisdiction. The two elementary schools are on there own with the one that is out having the potential for 10-20 minutes for officers to arrive.

I would say 60-80% of the households in the community have guns. Hunting is a big deal. We actually get the first day of deer season off. A good portion of them are very responsible. I had 8 of my students get a deer this year.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

musiclover

Crazy idea
Old 05-26-2022, 03:45 PM

Why don't we just certify police officers and let them teach our K-12 students from now on?

musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 05-26-2022, 04:00 PM

My sil is a high school principal and has a concealed gun. No one knows it. Well except the superintendent. Itís been approved in our state and teachers can voluntarily take the training. I donít have a problem with it only because they are in a very rural area and response times from law enforcement are long.

Iím not crazy about a regular classroom teacher being expected to defend kids while her class was still under her/his supervision.
blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 05-26-2022, 04:43 PM

I am now retired but I always said that I would raise my hand to be highly trained to defend our students by whatever means necessary and that includes firearms. Teachers should never be asked or expected to do this and it should be on a strictly volunteer basis only. My family are hunters so we have a wide array of guns. I have no fear of them and I have been trained to use them. I would have risked my life for my students because I always thought..what would I want someone to do for my own kids. My motto with a shooter would be - Aim small..miss small.
MathWA is online now   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 05-26-2022, 04:44 PM

I personally don't want to carry one. Our former counselor was an auxiliary sheriff's deputy and he had a gun (I was never sure if he was carrying or just had it in his office), but I was comfortable with that because of his training.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 05-26-2022, 05:29 PM

I honestly don't understand how this will work.

If I have a gun in my classroom, then I have to keep it in a secure location where my 20+ 4th graders cannot get to it. I assume that means it is locked away somewhere.

If a shooter then comes, and I'm with my class, I'm somehow supposed to shut my classroom door, get my kids to hide, turn off the lights, and then go get the gun from its secure location? I might have only seconds to do all of that.

And once I get the gun, then what do I do? Where do I stand? By the door? In the middle of the room? Hidden behind something?

And if the shooter comes into my room, I'm supposed to shoot at him with my gun. He'll be shooting back at me. How do I keep my 9-year-olds out of the line of fire? Because I guarantee you some of them will come rushing over to me, wherever I am placed. Do I stand in front of them while trying to shoot the guy? What do I do with the kid who is grabbing my arm or trying to hug me, while I'm using my handgun to fire at the guy who is shooting back with an assault weapon?

I mean really. I don't see how any of this works. Just more nonsense from people who aren't in classrooms thinking they know what the solution is.

Why can't we ban these assault weapons again? Why do people need those? I've never gotten a clear answer on why people need those.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

teachers and guns
Old 05-26-2022, 05:59 PM

I can only think of the 100 ways a gun in the classroom could go wrong. No.
About 10 years ago one of our state reps tried to introduce a bill to do just that. It died in committee.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

canteach

Seriously bad idea
Old 05-26-2022, 06:02 PM

I don't think most people realize the reality of an elementary or any other classroom. There's way too much responsibility already. No way would I want a loaded weapon in my classroom when nearly anything can happen on any given day. Guns can jam, misfire, be dropped & grabbed by anyone in the vicinity. I have read accouts where people have accidentally shot themselves or others near them when they have dropped their weapon & it went off. In addition, some of these intruders have worn body armor. What good would a handgun be against that kind of heavily armed & armored person? We're kidding ourselves if we think this is a workable solution. Hardening school facilities and banning assault weapons & high volume magazines are the only things that makes real sense & even that is probably not going to work in every case.
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 05-26-2022, 06:29 PM

Absolutely not. All of my concerns have been mentioned. There's a gazillion things that could go wrong. I would never want that responsibility, and honestly, I'd be freaked out if some coworkers had access. Let's be real - there's some teachers who aren't that far from a breakdown themselves, sadly. Not that they would hurt someone, but I think having them so accessible is a bad idea all around.

As Teddi points out though, some of our views are based on the culture of our region. People who live where hunting is big are going to have different views and comfort levels than people who live elsewhere.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Funnystory

Old 05-26-2022, 06:31 PM

We have had a guardian program in our district and surrounding districts for a few years. It is very top secret. There are some lock boxes some visible and allegedly some not. Some contain nothing but med kits. Allegedly there is guardian(s) with access to their gun in a box on each campus. We never know who (teacher, admin?) and no one says. Apparently that person or persons get training yearly but only the superintendent and I guessing campus principal know.
Funnystory is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 05-26-2022, 06:33 PM

Guns are basically illegal here, so itís not an issue. Which is good, because we donít have locking desks, file cabinets etc.. and would only make our classrooms more unsafe.

I do have to say, I do not feel safer when visiting a concealed carry state. In fact, the last time I was in a gun carrying state I was freaked out seeing all the guns, and I grew up on military bases. Btw- unless things have changed, even the military are not allowed to run around with guns 24/7- very few people on bases are armed. I really do not understand the reason people feel they need to be armed at all times. Doesnít that just make gun violence more likely?
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

guns
Old 05-26-2022, 06:36 PM

Before retiring I was teaching in a private school. One of the HS teachers tried to reassure us after Sandy Hook that she was carrying her gun. She had a concealed permit. Some how that did make me feel any safer.
Quote:
What if the teacher has a mental breakdown themselves?
that was my first thought.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 05-26-2022, 06:54 PM

Nope, not a chance.
apple annie is online now   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

No.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:54 PM

I would leave the profession.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

happyteachin

Guns are 'normal' here
Old 05-26-2022, 07:28 PM

I would have no problem carrying one or having someone else who had gone through the training carrying one. I know that's not the popular opinion.
happyteachin is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Sorry to say this
Old 05-26-2022, 07:36 PM

And I didnít read every response. Maybe someone else mentioned this. Just because someone is a teacher, doesnít mean they are competent enough to have a gun in their possession. Just like the policeman who goes home tired and leaves his gun in the coffee table, where one of his kids picks it up. (Itís happened) There could be a teacher who might leave a gun laying on her desk. Sounds ridiculous, but it could happen.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 05-26-2022, 07:40 PM

What should you consider if you want to be an armed teacher?

YouTube
Letís Talk About Armed Teachers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o1l2LQGyP8
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 05-26-2022, 08:19 PM

I am retired now, when I was teaching I would have done anything to protect my students except carry a gun. I know myself, and I should not be armed. I would have felt less safe if there was a gun locked in my classroom somewhere. If I had been asked to handle a gun I would have quit immediately!
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 05-26-2022, 08:34 PM

Nope. I don't even have to think twice about it. Just no.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Old 05-26-2022, 08:36 PM

Absolutely not. I also do not want my own children in a classroom with a teacher with a gun.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

No guns
Old 05-26-2022, 08:36 PM

Itís a hard NO for me, for all the reasons already stated by others. Teachers should NOT be expected to compensate for societyís and our politiciansí failure to address the issue of gun violence in our country.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 05-26-2022, 09:39 PM

Nope. Too many things can go wrong. Too many situations where teachers are blamed for things out of their control. I'm not comfortable with guns and my aim is terrible. Not picking up a gun and risking hurting someone innocent. I've told my DH if it ever came to that, I'd be done teaching.
MissTrace is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

Old 05-26-2022, 11:28 PM

No. Never. A country that needs that or armed guards for schools is crazy. But, sadly, that is what itís come to.

It seems if that happens every priest, imam, rabbi, store clerk, any kind of clerk need to carry a gun to protect its members.
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 05-27-2022, 02:44 AM

Hard no. 4th grade teacher. All the reasons listed here are why not. Retiring in June, but if we were told we had to at some point, or others could, I would have quit.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

teacher guns
Old 05-27-2022, 03:26 AM

I'm thankfully retired. But it's a no for me. For so many reasons others have posted. I hate guns. I'm scared of them and what they can do. I totally agree with Izzy's thinking it all through too. Sad state of affairs that it's even a consideration as part of a teacher's "tools".
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 05-27-2022, 04:09 AM

I grew up with guns. I live in an area where hunting and guns are a big deal, I own several guns. I think familiarity with guns makes a difference in my answer.

I live and teach in a rural area. I imagine response time from police would be at least 10 minutes, probably more. It took almost 20 minutes for an ambulance to get to my house last January.

I would carry a gun.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 05-27-2022, 04:14 AM

Absolutely not. Hard NO for me. Guns constantly around children and stressed out teachers is a terrible idea.
SusanTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-27-2022, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Teachers should NOT be expected to compensate for societyís and our politiciansí failure to address the issue of gun violence in our country.
Love, love, love this statement.

I hav to watch that video.

I am also against teachers carrying guns. I grew up with guns. I am retired military- expert marksman.

I did not have guns in the house when my kids were growing up. Too many things can happen.

I wouldn't send my kids to school where teachers were armed.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 05-27-2022, 03:31 PM

Big fat no from me!!
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 05-27-2022, 04:37 PM

A thousand reasons no.

One of which is that at least once a year I've gone into the teacher bathroom and found the previous occupant's cell phone left on this little table with the TP.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Teacher shortages
Old 05-27-2022, 05:07 PM

States are having a difficult time even hiring teachers. I think packing a gun would be a big deterent. Why would any young person want to get into education these days?

Sure am glad that I'm retired.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 05-27-2022, 08:33 PM

Teachers are the last people who have the temperament to kill someone. That is what is being asked of us...to kill someone. That someone might be a child. We are the only country that hasn't solved this gun problem.

Quote:
Teachers should NOT be expected to compensate for societyís and our politiciansí failure to address the issue of gun violence in our country.
Just NO!
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 05-28-2022, 02:16 AM

The same people who say we can't be trusted to pick out books to read to our students because they might be "woke" now want to trust us to carry a weapon and kill an intruder because the cops are afraid of getting shot?

I am tired of the people who disrespect our profession and then expect us to be responsible for fixing all of society's problems.

Half of Uvalde's budget went to the police. My father and my brother were both NYPD. I can't imagine a New York City cop on 9/11 refusing to go into the towers because they might die. The police officers chose that profession, just as I chose mine. The politicians responsible for these ongoing massacres at schools want to shift the blame because they have blood on their hands from taking money from the NRA. My job description does not include shooting anyone.
anonymouse is online now   Reply With Quote

heart4kids

No.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:07 AM

Those who would volunteer to carry a gun would probably not be ones I would trust to have good judgement. Our job is to teach. That is a hard enough job right now. We can't even find enough teachers around my area.
heart4kids is offline   Reply With Quote