Itís July! Whatís Everyone Reading?
Old 07-02-2022, 09:22 AM

Time to share!

trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Books
Old 07-02-2022, 09:35 AM

Here are the ones I read…

The Book Woman’s Daughter is the sequel to The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek. It will definitely work as a stand alone, which is how I read it. It taught me a lot about a group of people in KY who had blue pigmented skin and how they were legally discriminated against. It evoked strong emotions in me.

A Woman of Endurance would pair well with Yellow Wife and The Kitchen House. It was a novel of the cruelty of slavery in a sugar cane hacienda in Puerto Rico, which I knew little about. Very powerful and sad.

The Edge of Lost was about a young Irish immigrant coming through Ellis Island and the choices made, both willingly and unwillingly, that impacted his life. I loved the characters and the plot line kept me up at night, wanting to know what happens next.

Out of the Clear Blue Sky is a contemporary novel of impending divorce and it’s impact on the characters’ lives.

By the Book is a rom-com that parallels a modern Beauty and the Beast. I enjoyed it in between heavier reads.

The Ghosts of Paris is the second in a series of historical novels by this author, but I read it as a stand alone. A female investigator is hired to find a missing husband for an Australian client, but discovers links to her own past as well
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 07-02-2022, 09:45 AM

I am listening to Why We Did It by Tim Miller and An Immense World by Ed Yong.

I just reread Evening Class by Maeve Binchy.

I am rereading Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-02-2022, 09:56 AM

I finished Horse by Geraldine Brooks and loved it. Like all of her historical fiction, well researched and well written.

I’m reading Lost Children Archive by Luiselli. Brilliant so far, though there’s a device she uses which I dislike: she calls her children ‘the boy’ and ‘the girl’ and not by name.

I’m listening to fun fluff, Princess by Patterson.

Trasie, thanks for a thread I love. Wish you’d share one of those cheeseburgers with me.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Quite a Few
Old 07-02-2022, 10:20 AM

I read quite a few in June. Summer is my time to read!

The Turnout I didn't really like this book, and it took me a while to finish it because I didn't like it. There were parts I liked, thought. Overall, I thought it was slow moving and I didn't care for the author's style. I gave it 2 out of 5 stars.

The Family Upstairs This was a good mystery. I had a hard time predicting what would happen, which I liked. There some parts I could have done without, but for the most part, it was enjoyable. I know there is a sequel, but I think this was best as a stand alone book. I don't see myself reading the sequel. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

Saving Mr. Terupt I love reading books that I can introduce to my students. This is the 3rd in the Mr. Terupt series. I read the first two as well. Overall, I really liked it. I wish they went into more detail on some parts, and some parts were unrealistic, but like I said, overall, I really liked it. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

What's Mine and What's Yours This was not what I was expecting. I had been looking forward to reading this since it came out and finally got around to it. I liked it, but I was disappointed that it wasn't what I expected. There were a lot of parts and eventually they all connected, but it took some time to connect. I wish there was more detail with one story line and less detail on the others. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

Pony This is another juvenline/adolescent fiction book. I would love to use this as a read aloud for my class next year, especially in the fall/near Halloween. What a great book. I think kids would really enjoy it. It's by the same author as Wonder, but it's not like Wonder. I gave it 5 out of 5 stars. If you teach upper elementary or middle school, you should definitely read this/have it in your library/etc.

Malibu Rising This book was just okay. It was an easy read, but pretty stupid/superficial plot if you ask me. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars.

Bright Burning Things I LOVED this one. The characterization was fabulous. It was sad, and the ending wasn't great, but I still LOVED it. I gave it 5 out of 5 stars.

Currently, I'm finishing up "The People We Keep". I hope to finish it today or tomorrow. It's pretty good. I don't think I'll give it 5 stars, but maybe 3 or 4. I'll have to finish it before I make the final decision.

I'm also reading "Mathematize it" as part of a Facebook Book study. We read a section a week. It's okay. I love math, teaching math, math research, etc., so I don't think there has been anything new to me said in it, but it's a good reinforcement of what I am doing with some added ideas of things to try in the classroom next year. Reading these professional books also helps me get excited for the next school year!

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Beagles

Books
Old 07-02-2022, 11:08 AM

Recently finished:
When You Trap a Tiger
This is the Voice
How to Read a Book

All excellent books.
Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote

bellringer

June reading
Old 07-02-2022, 11:14 AM

It was a big month for reading:

Three of Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series. British female PI, set in first half of 20th century. Really like this series, and I'm almost to the last one the author has written.
Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman - I could appreciate the setting and time period, but it's probably not for everyone.
The Midnight Library by Matt Haig - I'm sure I got the recommendation from PT. I loved it! How the choices we make in our lives are impacted by and impact others.
Pachinko by Min Jin Lee - Hardships and discrimination faced by Korean immigrants to Japan in 20th century.
The Next Person You Meet in Heaven and Finding Chika by Mitch Albom - Chika is a Haitian orphan who Mitch and his wife bring to their home so she can receive medical treatment in the US. A true story.
Currently reading The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman. No opinion yet. Just received notice that Horse is waiting for me at the public library.
bellringer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-02-2022, 11:18 AM

In June I read:

That Summer by Jennifer Weiner
I was not a fan of this book at all and was not impressed with the characters or storylines.
I gave this one 2 stars

The Warsaw Orphan by Kelly Rimmer
I read a lot of WWII historical fiction and I enjoyed this one
5 stars

The Forest of Vanishing Stars by Kristin Harmel
Another WWII historical fiction but this one covered parts of the war I’ve actually never read about before which I found really interesting. I actually have a corresponding non-fiction book on my list to read.
4 stars

The Things we Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer
More WWII, I am a fan of Kelly Rimmer and I enjoyed this one was well.
5 stars

The Beach House by Rachel Hanna
I wanted an easy beach/pool read but I found the wiring not to be great and the storyline was really predictable.
1 star

Last Summer at the Golden Hotel by Elyssa Friedland
I picked this one up for a pool/beach read as well and I liked it a lot!
4 stars

The Girl in the Red Coat by Kate Hamer
I very rarely, if ever, stop reading books but I couldn’t even finish this one.
1 star

I just started reading Killer’s of the Flower Moon by David Grann today. It’s non-fiction about the Osage killings and the birth of the FBI. I’m about halfway through, the writing is fantastic and I’m learning a lot about a time in our history that not many know much about.

On my list for this month:
The Book woman’s Daughter I read the first book and am looking forward to the sequel
The Night She Disappeared by Lisa Jewel
The Women of Chateau Lafayette by Stephanie Dray
The First Day of Spring: A Novel by Nancy Tucker
The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict
The Last Year of the War by Susan Meissner.
The Boardwalk Bookshop by Susan Mallery

(I wish we had a star smilie/emoji, I wanted to rate each one that I already read )

Last edited by Lilbitkm; 07-02-2022 at 02:59 PM..
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Runnergirl04

My favorite thread
Old 07-02-2022, 11:21 AM

I just finished The Personal Librarian. * Historical fiction based on JP Morganís librarian. I found it very compelling and thought provoking.

Enriqueís Journey * similar to American Dirt, but completely non-fiction.

All adults here * a fun read.
Runnergirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 07-02-2022, 11:47 AM

"American Seoul" by Helena Rho--a memoir of a Korean American doctor who seems to have it all but finds she needs to rediscover who she really is. I found it fascinating

"Challenger Deep" by Neil Shusterman--this one has been on my tbr list for quite awhile and I'm glad I finally read it. It can be confusing at first but the story is told through the eyes of a teenager with mental illness and his life is just as confusing to him as this story seems to be. It's well worth reading.

"Born a Crime" by Trevor Noah-another that's been on the tbr list for a long time. It was absolutely engrossing and opened my eyes to a way of life I knew nothing about

"When We Believed in Mermaids" by Barbara O"Neal--Her sister has been dead for fifteen years when she sees her on the TV news
That sounded like an intriguing premise and it's set in New Zealand for the most part which is interesting but I'm finding the book just ok.

PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 07-02-2022, 11:50 AM

Finished The Paris Apartment by Foley. Just OK. I had a hard time staying interested.

Started Verityby Hoover.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 07-02-2022, 11:53 AM

I'm so happy to have time to read again!! I have a wonderful covered front porch where I sit all summer long and read (and watch the neighborhood activities lol).

I just finished Tana French's The Trespasser. I love all of her books, and have read most if not all of them.

I have a huge pile of TBR books, but the next two are:

Anxious People by Fredrik Backman and Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer, who was my daughter's professor at SUNY ESF.
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Books
Old 07-02-2022, 12:31 PM

All Boys Aren't Blue by George M. Johnson.
In a series of personal essays, prominent journalist and LGBTQIA+ activist George M. Johnson explores his childhood, adolescence, and college years in New Jersey and Virginia. From the memories of getting his teeth kicked out by bullies at age five, to flea marketing with his loving grandmother, to his first sexual relationships, this young-adult memoir weaves together the trials and triumphs faced by Black queer boys.
This is talked about often in banned book discussions. I did not find it offensive, I believe there were references and disruption of two sexual experiences.

Sparring Partners by John Grisham. This book consisted of three novellas. I like his longer books much better.

Nightwork by Nora Roberts. Harry Booth started stealing at nine to keep a roof over his ailing motherís head, slipping into luxurious, empty homes at night to find items he could trade for precious cash. When his mother finally succumbed to cancer, he left Chicagoóbut kept up his nightwork.
This was okay, not one of my favorites by her.

Fear Thy Neighbor by Fern Michaels. Another of The Sisterhood books. I enjoy these women who kick a$$ and take no prisioners.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 07-02-2022, 12:45 PM

Here are my June reads, I really enjoyed them all but I think Chemistry Lessons is a must read- Iím just finishing the Life of Addie Larue and the Witchís Daughter- they are both really good.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

Book
Old 07-02-2022, 12:50 PM

I just started Fly Girl by Ann Hood. Itís about her time as a flight attendant. So far, so good.
Teach 5 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 07-02-2022, 01:53 PM

In June, I read:

City of Thieves by David Benioff. A sometimes harrowing, sometimes oddly whimsical story of WW2 Leningrad. I liked this a lot.

Eight Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson. I wanted to like this more than I did. Maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind for it.

Lightning in a Mirror by Jayne Ann Krentz. I like silly, frivolous chick lit on occasion. Too bad this was so dreadful. I read it the quick way.

The Secret Keeper of Jaipur by Aika Joshi. This is a sequel to The Henna Artist which I liked a lot.

The Passengers by John Marrs. I found the social commentary on the evils of Artificial Intelligence a little heavy handed.

Chasing the Bear: a Young Spenser novel by Robert B Parker. I needed something to listen to as I walked by myself. This kept me entertained for a few days.

Still Life by Sarah Winman. 5 stars! I almost never give a book 5 stars. This was my favourite book this month. I loved the characters, the story, the setting--it was terrific!

My current books:

Death in a Darkening Mist by Iona Whishaw. This is the second book in her Lane Winslow series set in my province of BC. It's fun.

The Forest of Vanishing Stars by Kristin Harmel who wrote The Book of Lost Names which I liked a lot. This one is okay--not bad, not great.

I'm listening to Robert B Parker's Angel Eyes by Ace Atkins. I'm enjoying listening to it as I clean my house or walk to yoga.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 07-02-2022, 01:54 PM

Recently finished The Last Jews in Berlin by Leonard Gross. It’s a non-fiction account of several Jewish people who hid out in Berlin during WWII. Fascinating.

Just started reading My Grandfather’s Son by Clarence Thomas. I was not aware he grew up in such poverty.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Old 07-02-2022, 02:15 PM

Currently reading:

This Time Tomorrow by Emma Straub--I'm really enjoying it. It is a fictional book about time travel.
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

AspenRed

Old 07-02-2022, 02:22 PM

People We Meet on Vacation - Emily Henry

Hacking Assessment - Starr Sackstein (for school book study)
AspenRed is online now   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 07-02-2022, 02:42 PM

Left on Tenth by Delia Ephron (a memoir) - just started it, but like it so far!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

books
Old 07-02-2022, 02:43 PM

I read:

The Second Mrs. Ringling by Ellen Brosnahan
An fictionalized account of John Ringling's ( yep, the circus guy) second marriage.

Harlam Shuffle by Colson Whitehead, very good

The Stone Circle by Elly Griffiiths

Game On: Tempting 28 by Janet Evanovitch Stephanie Plum's usual capers.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-02-2022, 03:55 PM

Shelby, I loved Harlem Shuffle, too.

GreenBunny, you know I loved Still Life, too. I usually forget what I read, but that wonderful story stays with me.

tctrojan, I was disappointed in Grishamís first 2 novellas but I rather liked the eponymous third. Sadly, to me the whole book felt like he was casting about for something to publish and found some old (rightfully) discarded pieces.

Ruby, I like Tana French, too, and I LOVED Anxious People. I tried to read Braiding Sweetgrass, but I just couldnít stick it out.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 07-02-2022, 03:57 PM

June reads:

The Bookwomanís Daughter Kim Michele Richardson Sequel to the Bookwoman -interesting read.

Sweet Magnolias Stealing Home Sherryl Woods Very similar to Netflix series. Good for something mindless toread.

The Homewreckers Mary Kay Andrews June 2022 Story involves involvement in reality tv home restoration show, and solving murder case. Engaging story, light.

The Immortalists Chaos Benjamin Four adolescent children sneak out to see a physic, who predicts the day of their deaths- and how these predictions influence their entire lives. Only OK - but brings up many discussable issues for book clubs.

The Henna Artist Aka Joshi Set in 1955 India, the story explores the roles of caste, women's roles, the indepedence from Britain. very good-lots of characters to keep track of.
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 07-02-2022, 06:09 PM

The Sentence, by Louise Erdrich
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 07-02-2022, 06:39 PM

Ruby, Tana French is my favorite contemporary author! I own and have read all her books multiple times. Wish she'd go back to the Dublin Murder series, those are my favorites from before she transitioned to her standalones. I hope she has a new book coming out this fall--she usually releases one every two years, although there's usually very little publicity buzz ahead of time, so you don't find out until shortly before.

For a change of pace from my usual historical novels (and also because it is due at the library soon), I am in the middle of the newest Riley Sager book, The House Across the Lake. A twisty, fun read so far.

I do have Horse and plan to begin reading it when I am finished with the Riley Sager book.

Zipline, I read The Last Jews of Berlin years ago! My grandparents owned it. I believe my grandmother's sister is mentioned somewhere in the book--just her name, maybe it's in the footnotes--as she was a Jewish person living in Berlin almost to the end, though sadly she did not survive the war.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-02-2022, 06:49 PM

I love this thread! My TBR list is so big, but I just keep adding...

Simon vs. the Homo Sapien Agenda - Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed. I wouldn't say I loved this book, and it's definitely YA, but I enjoy reading stories whose characters are coming from a completely different perspective than my own.

Beach Read - just an okay book for me. I'm not much of a romance fan but was hoping it had a bit more to it.

Between Shades of Gray was sad but wonderful! The story of a young Lithuanian girl who is forced by the Soviets to go with her family to a Siberian work camp. I had no idea that this happened. I'd love to read some non-fiction about this time as well.

Oh William was another just okay book.

The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett was also just okay. There were some parts I loved, and some of it felt tedious or too much like other books I've read. The goodreads description states "a moving and joyous novel about an elderly woman ready to embrace death and the little girl who reminds her what it means to live."

I really enjoyed The Lincoln Highway, although I've read really mixed reviews about it. It spans 10 days and is told from multiple perspectives, which can get confusing but I thought it was done really well.

I enjoyed Matrix by Lauren Groff, although I wouldn't say it's a must read. Cast out of the royal court by Eleanor of Aquitaine, deemed too coarse and rough-hewn for marriage or courtly life, 17-year-old Marie de France is sent to England to be the new prioress of an impoverished abbey, its nuns on the brink of starvation and beset by disease.

My did not finish books this month were A Spool of Blue Thread and The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler (both recommended here but I just don't like her style), and All That She Carried: The Journey of Ashley's Sack, a Black Family Keepsake which was interesting but the author got way too involved in tedious details of this sack and I kept waiting for the story of the people behind it.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 07-02-2022, 07:12 PM

Sbkangas, if you are interested in another book about the historical time period you mentioned, there's always the classic The Endless Steppe by Esther Hautzig, an autobiographical memoir of her and her family's being exiled to Siberia after the Soviet Union took over the city of Vilna where she lived (her father was deemed a "capitalist" so their whole family was arrested and sent to Siberia). Eventually, after the war, they were able to immigrate to America. IIRC, she ended up working at one of the big publishing companies and was very instrumental in a lot of famous children's books being published.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 07-03-2022, 05:38 AM

I revisited Anxious People on audio.

I purchased Silent Spring after my brother's memorial. It was a book that he had read many times in his life. We were 9 years apart and he lived most of his adult life away from the rest of the family raising his lovely family. In spite of the age difference and distance we had so many common threads going through the humans that we had become. I was fortunate to be able to reconnect with him later in life. I enjoyed the book.

I listened to Coming to My Senses by Alice Waters.

I thoroughly enjoyed Harlem Shuffle. He is such a gifted writer. This is only the 3rd book of his that I have read. The others were his Pulitzer winners, Underground Railroad and Nickel Boys. All of them have been winners on my bookshelf. He has written so many others and I hope to read more of his work soon.

I read We are Not Free by Traci Chee. This is a good companion book for Facing the Mountain.

My book club is reading The Henna Artist. I will listen to it again.

I want to read Remarkably Bright Creatures. My book club read The Soul of an Octopus last year and I think I would enjoy this fictional take on these incredible animals.

An acquaintance at the pool shared a copy of her book club's last title, Razorblade Tears. I have been reading several of her group's books. They are books that I would not normally pick up to read.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 07-03-2022, 09:48 AM

My reads this month:

1. The Good Sister by Sally Hepworth I listened to this one

2. Steal by James Patterson

3. The Rose Code by Kate Quinn I listened to this one; I posted a request on this site for historical fiction for a swap partner and this was one of the books fellow PTers suggested. I purchased a copy for my swap partner and decided I wanted to read it too.

I really liked all three of these books.
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fleurdelys

Old 07-04-2022, 07:34 AM

Finished
The Maid by Nita Prose- liked it
The Paper Palace by Miranda Crowley Heller. Very good
Fleurdelys is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Sbkangas5
Old 07-04-2022, 11:01 AM

Thank you for sharing the title , "Between Shades of Gray". Even though I am Austrian/German I had a very good Lithuanian friend in high school and she got me involved with the Lithuanian group / newspaper who protected Catholics before the collapse of the iron curtain. I will definitely read that book and the next book titled , " Salt to the Sea. " I watched the author's bio on you tube and it was so moving and inspiring.. I definitely recommend watching her you tube intro.

I admit I haven't read 1 book this summer for pleasure only professional ones in the past 6 months. You guys got me motivated and I am in !
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote