Help

The VENT

I am so pissed right now

>

snazzyjazzy

I am so pissed right now
Old 08-09-2022, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was hired at a k-8 charter school back in May. I was told I was teaching K-3rd but my grade was unknown at the time. I spent all summer planning for k-3. I did DonorsChoose projects and Amazon wishlist geared for that age group. I had two
Projects funded and numerous things bought off my wishlist. We didn't find out until last Tuesday what grade we would have. I ended up with third. I stayed late every day to work in my room (we were only given about 30 minutes each day). Today, everyone had to take CPR training. I am already CPR certified so I was told to work in my room. I spent 4 hrs working in my room. I planned out the next 3 weeks, wrote out lesson plans and made copies. We were told that we would be getting rosters and the master schedule at 2. We get called to go to the cafeteria at 3:55 (we are supposed to leave at 4). The superintendent tells everyone that they had to move a few people based on enrollment. Everyone except 2 teachers were moved. I was moved to 6-8th math and science. I was very clear during my interviews and subsequent conversations that I did not want middle school (even though I'm certified). School starts tomorrow and I have nothing ready.

ZipLine

Old 08-09-2022, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That is so wrong! I would be pissed, too. In fact, I’d be furious. What a way to start the year. Odd that everyone but 2 got moved. How many teachers at the school? What happened to the 6-8 math/science teacher? I hope you are able to pull together some activities for the first few days. I sincerely wish you the best.

kahluablast

Old 08-09-2022, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh, I would be hot also!

I hope you can get your head wrapped around the change. Were the Other changes that drastic?

twinmom95

Old 08-09-2022, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would be beyond furious and if that is how this school runs itself/ treats its staff, I would get far, far away asap! How do they think teacher's can be ready for kids tomorrow with that literally last minute switch?????

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-09-2022, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had a feeling that was coming. Honestly, I’d resign tonight. Public schools are going to be posting positions left and right in the next few weeks and you can always pick up long term sub positions or a para position if you can afford it.

This is ridiculous. (((Hugs)))

snazzyjazzy

Zipline
Old 08-09-2022, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I haven't been able to get anything together because I had to pick up my son from daycare and travel back home. It is a small school. Currently, there are only 14 teachers. There is 1 teacher per grade level/subject plus art, pe, and rti. It seems like several people left at the end of the year and enrollment doesn't allow anyone else to be hired.

snazzyjazzy

Kahluablast
Old 08-09-2022, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Several teachers were moved a grade level up or down. 2 teachers were moved 3 grade levels. I wouldn't be so mad if they hadn't waited until the last minute.

snazzyjazzy

I would love to leave but am under contract.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

According to the handbook, they will go after our certification if we break our contract before the end of the year. That means I would lose out on an entire year of teaching. Plus I wouldn't be able to apply for another teacher job until that year is up plus it stays on my certification.

snazzyjazzy

I can't afford to sub and I can't break my
Old 08-09-2022, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Contract. I will have to tough it out the 180 school days.

travelingfar

Old 08-09-2022, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm sorry this happened. This did not need to be so last minute and disorganized. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

tctrojan

That bites
Old 08-09-2022, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I hope you are able to get things figured out for the next few days.

Good luck!

Shelby3

I like
Old 08-09-2022, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

GG's advice. If you lived here, you'd have multiple offers by 5:00 Friday.

kidsrterrific

Wordless
Old 08-09-2022, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Speechless! This is wrong on so many levels. A contract is binding but so should be interview negotiations- the grade levels you said you would be willing to teach.

I know that when I taught fourth grade the science was difficult for me so there’s no way I could teach sixth through eighth grade science.

It sounds like you have a busy family life. I will keep you in my prayers. Make the best of tomorrow. Please keep us posted here.

WalkDontRun

Old 08-09-2022, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I can’t imagine how stressful that must be!

I think we will be hearing a lot more stories like this with the proliferation of charter schools. Charters schools can do what they want as they aren’t bound by union contracts.

SassyTeach

I'm curious...
Old 08-09-2022, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Does it say anywhere on your contract the grade you're supposed to be teaching? If so, you may be within your rights to break contract since they didn't follow it.

Keltikmom

Snazzyjazzy
Old 08-09-2022, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am POed on Your behalf. I would start kicking and screaming right now. Remind them of your interview. And find some loophole to get out of that co tract. And if you can’t, be the squeaky wheel all year. Squeak loud and proud. This is bait and switch.

I can’t believe they didn’t notify you in advance. Not a school I would want to work in. Triple check your contract for a loophole.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-09-2022, 10:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

They could go after your contract, but I’d argue this is breach of contract. If they try tell them you’ll get a lawyer. I bet they back off.

Tiamat

Old 08-09-2022, 10:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I would quit today. And tell them to send their paperwork re my licence to my employment lawyer. This is pure bait and switch and they definitely haven’t acted in good faith.

Summerwillcom

I'd probably quit too.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

....And schools wonder why there is a teacher shortage! By threatening to quit, you may get your 3rd grade class back.

Renea

Old 08-10-2022, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quit this job mentally right this moment! You are now working only for yourself.

Your family and you come first in your new job description. Do what you can for your class within set hours and DO NOT demand of yourself high standards that are impossible to reach. Your classroom is going to be far less than the perfect classroom you have always worked to achieve. Meet the standards the job requires but don't risk your mental health or fail to meet the needs of your family first.

Don't risk your license by quiting now. They can legally take it since you signed a contract for a position not a grade level.

Do what you can to professionally fulfill the job but get out of that school the first minute you're legally able to leave.

This school has shown exactly what its concerns are for you.
Remember this moment.
They simply don't care.
They. Don't Care.

You're now working for yourself.

Last edited by Renea; 08-10-2022 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: oops

c6g

Old 08-10-2022, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I think Renea is right. You did sign a contract for a position, not a grade level. They probably realized they wouldn't be able to hire a middle school math/science teacher in time for the beginning of school. They saw you were certified and put you in that position. Yes, it is extremely unfair.

Unfortunately, schools (including public schools) do similar things all the time. I could share a lot of stories from my days as a regular teacher. As a sub, it sometimes happened as well.

Smile a lot, act like everything is perfect, and follow Renea's advice. You'll get through it!

Last edited by c6g; 08-10-2022 at 04:53 AM..

Tori58

Old 08-10-2022, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Well, you'll have to do what you have to do to retain your license, I think, but if it were me I'd consult a lawyer. And I would quit at the end of the year without a doubt.

This is why teacher unions are important. When we had strong unions in this state, this would be a grievable offense. Because of that, no school would have tried to switch grade levels on a teacher the day before classes started unless the teacher was okay with it. Most likely some compensation would be offered.

Even with our unions weakened, teachers can still get out of a contract without it affecting their license. You have to pay a pretty stiff penalty at this point in the year, but it would be worth it to me in this situation if I were able to get another job - which would be no problem this year.

Good luck!

kahluablast

Old 08-10-2022, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

With the kind of options they have left you it sounds like this is a healthy attitude.
Quote:
I will have to tough it out the 180 school days.
You can go day to day this week as a lot of what you will do it basic. Routines, procedures. Get a baseline of strengths, weaknesses and abilities. You got this!

I bet it wouldn't be too hard to find some team building that also was math related.

I hope they give you some kind of budget to purchase materials and supplies!

Singvogel

So sorry this happened
Old 08-10-2022, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

OPs were right that they don't care about you or the work you put in, and they saw your certification and used it.

Take it easy on yourself. If you have a canned curriculum, use it until you can find some time.

anna

Old 08-10-2022, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I'd be angry too. So sorry you have been treated so poorly. Union contracts can be written this way to where the only thing promised is a teaching job. Look the contract over carefully and see if there's any way out of it. Teaching contracts are often written to benefit the district only. The working conditions and pay are often vaguely spelled out. Take this as a learning curve . If you can't leave the job,you will get it done and next time you will get a better contract somewhere else.

Last year I walked off an intervention position after seeing and experiencing the working conditions. It can be done if the contract is written as such.

c6g

About union grievances . . .
Old 08-10-2022, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

We're slightly off-topic, but here are a few comments about unions and union grievances.

When I was a regular teacher, we had a fairly strong union. The payroll office messed up my paychecks every so often, and the union immediately got to work and fixed everything.
I was happy to be a member, and things would have been much worse without it. The Board constantly came up with idiotic ideas, and the union managed to shoot most of them down.

At the same time, I discovered late in my career that there were limits as to what the union was willing to do. At the time the district was slowly going broke, and I was at the top of the salary schedule. They clearly wanted me out, and did some dirty things (somewhat similar to those described by snazzyjazzy).

I decided to fight back, and looked at just about every sentence in the contract. I found about five violations, and wrote up a very detailed grievance report. The school's union rep thought it looked good.

The union didn't want to touch it. Some sympathy was offered, but not much more. One of the issues related to the failure to give sufficient notice about something (again, somewhat similar to what snazzyjazzy described). I pointed it out to a union official, telling him it was a clear violation of the contract. I'll never forget his response. "You're right, but when this happens, we tell them not to do it again."

As others have pointed out, I'm not sure there's much you can do at this point. Just try to do the best you can.

Last edited by c6g; 08-10-2022 at 02:24 PM..

whatever

That sucks.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I agree that it really stinks. However, every district I've been in (3 now) have a clause in them that states you may assigned to any position for which you are certified.

I've never seen a contract that specified a certain position. I know people who have declined to get extra certifications if it might put them in a postion where they would cover a department, grade, or class topic they do not want.

Hang tough--Like a pp mentioned, don't take it lying down. Make noise.

And most importantly, do not feel pressure to have everything perfect right away--especially since all your prep was for the other level.

Angelo

That sucks
Old 08-10-2022, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

That’s brutal. It’s unprofessional on their part. I’m sorry that happened.

I’ve seen crap like this too many times in my career. New teachers (to a school) need to establish themselves as organized and enthusiastic about the role. The students need to see that the teacher knows their stuff and that they are ready to go. Students (or even parents) who perceive a new teacher as weak or uncertain will pounce, and that can prove impossible to recover from. Nothing ensures a rocky start for a new teacher quite like changing their assignment at the eleventh hour. A senior, established teacher in the school can recover quickly; a new teacher who is still learning where the bathrooms are and the names of colleagues… not so much. But whom do they target for eleventh-hour reassignment? The newbie. Every. Damn. Time.

Cases I’ve witnessed or heard about:

The freshly-hired teacher who had spent weeks getting her classroom organized only to be accosted by the superintendent and principal on the Friday before school started and told she’d have to switch schools and grades with another freshly-hired teacher because… get this… the only male teacher on staff (the one she was hired to replace) had retired in June and they “just realized” they’re required to have at least one male teacher on staff. They generously (snark) offered to assign a couple of overtime custodians to help her box up her stuff and move it across town to the other school over the weekend. It ended up getting resolved when one of the specials teachers heard about the problem and arranged a mutual swap with a male specials teacher at another school.

The freshly-hired teacher who set up her classroom (including the new furniture the district had sent over) only to come in the week before classes to discover a neighboring teacher had decided that, as a more senior teacher, she should have the new furniture, and so went in with her husband and sons and swapped desks, tables, and book cases with the new new teacher without asking anyone. The best part is that she’d just taken everything off the shelves and teacher’s desk and left it in piles on the floor of the classroom. She’d also long since lost the key to the locked drawer of the teacher’s desk and so had her son jimmy it open such that it wouldn’t open or close fully before plopping it in the new teacher’s room.

The freshly-hired teacher who was assigned the classroom of the teacher he replaced only to have a more senior teacher whine to Admin (again, the week before school) that they wanted that room and demanding a switch.

The new teacher who spent weeks prepping for AP Calculus only to find out that another Math teacher who had been assigned a high-needs basic Math section had gone to the department chair and said, “I don’t want to teach high-needs Math. Make the newbie teach it. I want the AP Calc.”

NJ Teacher

Certification
Old 08-10-2022, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

When I taught in NY state, my teaching certificate only went up to 6th grade. Are you certified for your new position? Why was there a shuffling of so many teachers at the last minute?

gradymidget

Old 08-10-2022, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I agree with Greyhound Girl. I’d resign too. Is that an option for you? The district pulled a bait and switch on all except those two teachers. Major red flags here. Who in their right mind switches an entire staff the day before school? I would not walk out if this district…I would run.

I just went back and reread your newer messages. I think it’s a good idea to seek legal advice as others have recommended. If you are stuck in the district for the rest of the year, do what you have to do to survive the year. And resign at the end of the year. I have a feeling that this is the pattern for this district. And be prepared for more unexpected surprises from them. Because I have a feeling that things aren’t going to get better but worse. Do you know what the turnover rate is in this new district?

GraceKrispy

Old 08-10-2022, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

O. M. G. You are sh&&&ing me! I can't believe that happened to you! I am so angry for you!! It's bad enough to change grades on teachers a month or so before the start of school, but to do it the day before??? How is that a good thing for kids? And why in the world would they need to move all but a few teachers to make this work?? And they didn't know this until 5 minutes before the end of day the day before school starts??? I call BS!

All this work you put into it. I'm spitting nails for you!

What a great way to demotivate teachers and shortchange students.

readerleader

Old 08-11-2022, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Resigning at the last moment might not look good, but I believe the threat of losing your certification is hot air.

FLSun

Ugh!
Old 08-11-2022, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I would be livid too. In our district, they shuffle people around after the 10th day of school. That’s even worse!

broomrider

Charter school
Old 08-11-2022, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I see you are in a charter school, so most likely no union or association help available.
Carefully read the handbook (as if you haven’t, probably several times). Is the school an “at will” employer? The charter where I was on the board several years ago had an employee could be “fired for any reason or no reason at any time”.
If that is present it would be worth checking with a lawyer because contracts need to be mutual. Our teachers were accorded the same privilege of leaving at any time.
Do NOT leave without consulting a lawyer because I expect if the school lets one teacher leave they will soon have no staff after their stunt. They may well try to go after your credential if only to stop a stampede.

broomrider

Another thought
Old 08-11-2022, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

What happens with the DonorsChoose and Amazon wish list materials? Do they go with you? With the classroom? Do they need to be reimbursed? By you? By the school? What’s the school’s liability for donated supplies?
I hope you’ve emptied your former room if you were moved of everything you put into it. Sad for the new occupant, but only right for you.

snazzyjazzy

Broomrider
Old 08-11-2022, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I have contacted DonorsChoose about my two projects that funded. I am waiting on their response. I brought it up to my principal and she told me to remember that I did it to help the kids so the kids should benefit from it. My Amazon wishlist items was mostly school supplies and snacks so I can still use them with my students. I spent 2 hrs after school today lugging things between rooms. I have a little more to take out.

rusty

Old 08-11-2022, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Are there any positives about this move at all? Do you like math/science? Will you have less planning than primary teachers? I envied the middle school teachers who could concentrate on just one or two subjects. I'll be thinking of you and sending up prayers that it works out well for you. It's going to be a challenge, but if it's what you need to do....just do your best. Good luck!!

Sbkangas5

Old 08-11-2022, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

Everyone has already said what I was thinking reading your post. Just want to add my "I'm so sorry - you were totally wronged".

snazzyjazzy

Rusty
Old 08-11-2022, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I love math and science at the elementary level. I was looking through the books today and I was thinking I am going to have to relearn a ton of math. Since I am teaching 3 grades and 2 subjects, I am still planning 6 different things.

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-11-2022, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Quote:
Since I am teaching 3 grades and 2 subjects, I am still planning 6 different things.
Nope-nope nope. You have been...there isn't a polite way to say it but think of euphemisms for bodily functions don't onto another person and that's where my head is going.

I would personally push it and talk to an employment lawyer-they did not honor your placement in good faith.

If you genuinely feel like you just cant do that (seriously martyrdom doesn't look goo on anyone- mark my words) then I would at least submit my end of the year resignation now. That way it the failure you have been set up for comes to fruition you can honestly say on any applications in the future that you quit of your own accord. The opportunities are endless out there for teachers who are ready to improve their situation.

Also I've been through charter school H.E double-hockey-sticks and years lat3er I think I'm still traumatized by it so know that this is likely not a one time occurrence. They do not respect their teachers in many cases. It can be very very bad. Get out while you can if this is the opening act that they are presenting.

mommy9298

Old 08-12-2022, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

This has happened in my district many times. The response is as long as a teacher is certified in the grade level they can be moved. I would take it one day at a time. Things get done. I am sorry this happened ti you.

luvtulearn

Unfortunately
Old 08-12-2022, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

this happens many times in districts that rely heavily on ADA. Collapsed classes are also very difficult to deal with once schools starts too. The jump from elementary to middle is extreme and awful . I feel for you. I wonder what would happen if you would remove your secondary authorization or accreditation from your certificate for grades 6-8? That is if you never want to teach those grades again.

My daughters calculus teacher in high school 15 years ago had to jump through hoops to get her physics authorization removed from her CA teaching credential . It cost her an additional $100 but it's worth it if you don't want to teach middle school again.

Are you considering moving to another county or state in the future ?

snazzyjazzy

Luvtulearn
Old 08-13-2022, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

The way my certification is divided is 4-8th grade. I am EC-4th and 4th-8th. A lot of schools want the higher certification for 4th-5th grade. I would not have a problem moving to another state but my state does not have recipical licensing so I would be starting over.

timeforbed

practical comment
Old 08-20-2022, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

Yes, I'd be livid, too. Ditto what everyone else posted, from quitting to sticking it out. It's your situation so you'll have to do what works for you.

On the practical side for lessons next week, do a week of scientific enquiry with graphing activities. With each class, come up with a statement like "Most of the students in 6th grade at blank blank school prefer listening to alternative pop." Formulate a hypothesis with each class, post the question, plan with them the best way to gather information, and then discuss how to display the answer in various graphing forms. Each question for each class could be different and be displayed so that the other classes will be able to read them and look forward to seeing the answer. Those who want to work alone on the graphing can do so, or they can work with a partner or a team, whichever works for them. (I would have chosen on my own because although I liked to socialize, I used to get annoyed when the finished project was not how I wanted it.)

Music preference
fast food preference
I don't know. I've been retired for ten or so years. But I did like to start the new year off this way or with an interesting experiment. https://www.scienceworld.ca/resource...20to%20balance.

I liked this one because I'd give them the wire and used clothespins for the weights and told them to first take 15 minutes to work on the solution themselves, then work with a small group. Eventually, someone gets it and is balancing a pencil on the tip of their finger, and then everyone is doing it. Anybody who showed up without a pencil had to observe because I was mean that way. (Imagine showing up at school without supplies on the first day! It also lets them know that I will not be providing basic school supplies for them. They'll bring a pencil in the next day and can show that they understand how to do it and the reason why it works because you'll give them the wire and clothespins the next day.)

This is not to take away the anger I would feel about being treated so shoddily and I'd be looking for a different placement as soon as possible.

Submarine24

Quit
Old 09-07-2022, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

There are a ZILLION positions available teaching online right now if you are credentialed.

You can teach from home and avoid all the bullsht. QUIT.

I continue to be astounded by how we don't want the kids abused and bullied but it's ok if the teachers are. QUIT. If you don't, it will only affect your self esteem anyway, you may hate yourself for staying. Shift that resentment (justified!) into something positive and keep looking for something that works. I have found teaching online to be heaven. No
office politics, no b.s. from school admin, principal, just you and the kids. (Parents can be challenging but this is small price to pay for b.s. you describe).