Help

The VENT

Ummm thatís not even close...

>

Readingal

Ummm thatís not even close...
Old 03-05-2019, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Little darling told her mom I was going to punish kids for reversing their b and d because they should have learned that in kindergarten. Umm, hello thatís ridiculous. I teach second grade. I would never do that! I think darling wanted mom to do the printing on her homework since sheís very manipulative.

Hereís what I actually said, ďPlease remember to start your sentences with capital letters. You learned about capitals in kindergarten, we need to remember to use them.Ē

SwollenAnkles

Old 03-05-2019, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My co-worker had a student tell his dad that she said he could not use the restroom for a week because he took too long in there. She actually said, “You just came in from recess, that is when you should use the restroom. Today you may go, but tomorrow you need to use the restroom during recess.”

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-05-2019, 11:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What kills me is these parents believe them.

all41

Old 03-06-2019, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
What kills me is these parents believe them.
Exactly this!

MAsped

Old 03-06-2019, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is one of the things that worries me about the teaching profession. Kids either misconstrue or purposefully twist words around to sound a lot worse to their parents and it may be about printing or recess today, but next time could be able MUCH more serious situations/allegations that aren't true (molestation, hitting, cussing, etc. from the teacher's part)

But since those kinds of serious actions definitely do happen out there, it's a scary and bad situation for a teacher to be in if they're accused of it.

Long ago, at the district I was at at the time, I heard that a student (I guess wrongfully) accused a male teacher of taking down his pants and his parents came down to the school and beat him up. All that was at the end of the school year and I never knew what ended up happening. The last I heard was that the superintendent was on the teacher's side.

Surly

I honestly don't know if the parents
Old 03-06-2019, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Really believe them as much as it is that being outraged at teachers at every opportunity makes them feel like they're really involved in their kids' lives. The parent probably started a "can you believe this injustice?" thread on their social media pages about it.

I also think that it's not so much that they really believe that a teacher would do this as much as it is taking any chance to complain to administrators in an effort to intimidate teachers and keep them walking on eggshells.

At any rate, some people are just looking for any reason to be outraged.

missamberlori

Capital letters? What about paragraphs
Old 03-06-2019, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My district expects the little darlings to be writing at least 4 paragraphs with 4 sentences in each paragraph. I teach second grade too! Well I just laughed and laughed!!!!!
Signedout95

Signedout95

Yep!
Old 03-06-2019, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

"This is one of the things that worries me about the teaching profession. Kids either misconstrue or purposefully twist words around to sound a lot worse to their parents and it may be about printing or recess today, but next time could be able MUCH more serious situations/allegations that aren't true (molestation, hitting, cussing, etc. from the teacher's part)"

THIS! It's scary the world we live in. I knew a teacher that was investigated because a kid told her parents that the teacher told her to kick another student.

What actually happened? She was talking to two students after one had kicked the other. She asked "how would you feel if she kicked you?"- kid then kicks him. On video, since there is no sound, they said it could have happened from looking at the interaction.... and you know how long those investigations take!

I always warn every new teacher to make sure they have insurance- I've seen these things happen to many great teachers!

Surly

MAsped
Old 03-07-2019, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Perfectly said, and if somebody does accuse a teacher or something insane, most districts aren't even going to give the teacher an opportunity to prove their innocence. Most will try to intimidate the teacher into resigning immediately to avoid bad PR of a prolonged investigation, regardless of how baseless the allegations may be.

Last edited by Surly; 03-07-2019 at 05:54 AM..

kahluablast

Old 03-07-2019, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Last year one of my students told his dad that I had kept him in from recess for a week writing 1000 sentences because another student said he did something, he didn't, and I believed the other student. Parent came to school FUMING to the principal. Student told the principal the same thing (but principal had already asked me about it). He actually stood in the hallway and told ME the same story, to my face, looking me in the eyes.

Not a single part of it was true. Not one. He even had details, like what the sentence was and where he had turned them in and where he had sat while writing them.

Mom never apologized to me for that and I will remember that forever. She has another younger one coming up.

MAsped

Surly
Old 03-07-2019, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thank you. Yes, I was talking to my mother about it the other day. It's like every sentence you say throughout the day can be misconstrued and no one knows when a kid will pick something out that you said to dwell on. My mom asked if teachers can audio record their work days and I said I didn't know, but that it's probably against the law.

I wish teachers could because if everything's on the up and up, then there's nothing to hide. I know others would bring up about confidentiality issues with minors at all when it comes to that kind of thing (recording), but in this day and age, teachers should be able to do it if they wish for the sole purpose of protecting their livelihood.