Help

The VENT

Still hate my job

>

missamberlori

Still hate my job
Old 03-29-2022, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It has been 20 years and I still dislike this job. Waiting to retire. Behaviors of the students are horrific, and little is done. I call the office multiple times a day to get help. Yes, the office workers, counselor, and principal get annoyed because I keep asking for help but I believe because I am not a member of the "In Young Group" when class placements are decided that many major behavior issues are placed in my room. These are major issues of disrespect, angry, and low functioning students.
In my district teachers get together to decide placement and since many of them are very good friends outside and inside of school they do not evenly distribute students. I go to work and go home-I am not going drinking on Friday nights or invited on summer vacations with my co-workers. I don't think it is fair-but there is little that can be done.
I use to pretend I could handle the behaviors but now I don't. I call for help whenever a student is out of control. Not that it helps because basically what happens is the counselor talks with them and then 20 minutes they are back in the class. Then the student repeats behaviors and I call again. I give rewards, I take away recess, I call parents, and write letters. I am tired. I feel bad for the good kids in the room who want to learn because the extreme behaviors make it impossible to teach or even think straight.
Sorry for long post-needed to vent. Pointless morning meeting tomorrow. I already know the outcome-nothing will happen. The child's IQ will be too high to qualify for any assistance. The special ed team (who don't work in the classroom) will tell me to set up an award system and give privileges or things for even the smallest accomplishment like sitting in a chair. Tired!

Cassyree

Old 03-30-2022, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

20 years is a long time to hate teaching. How long until you can retire? I know you started teaching later in life but you must be close. My state has a well-funded but only average in amount pension. My pension plus Social Security which I took early at 62 gives me about 80% of my final working salary. Entirely doable for me. I don't know how your system works but if you could swing it financially (even consider a part-time job), it seems like the best option for you.

Last edited by Cassyree; 03-30-2022 at 06:04 AM..

nucleus

Old 03-30-2022, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You need to leave that environment. Not all places are like that. I don't know how you are financially, but we only get one life to live and you shouldn't use your one life to be miserable. Take all of your sick days this year and then be done with this school. Even if you have to sub next year, there will be jobs available. I wish you the best and I just feel so badly that you are so miserable. Nobody should have to deal with a situation that makes them this miserable.

MythBuster

Old 03-30-2022, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm so sorry that you are going through this.

You are not alone. My friend felt this way and retired early. She got insurance through the exchange for like almost nothing.

teacherwriter

Old 03-31-2022, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Missamberlori, I could have written your post, except I've taught for only 11 years. We are having real behavior issues at school. Some is willful misbehavior--screaming across the classroom, lots of touching and hitting, refusing to work except when ordered, that sort of thing. Some of it is clearly psychological. This week I had a student chew off one entire cuff of his sweatshirt. I also had a student spit on other students and a third student who has unmanaged ADHD and we can't get his parents to respond to anything. We get no support from admin. We're supposed to call for help, but they don't respond, or they talk to the student for a few minutes and send them right back in. I am told to give rewards, especially candy, lots of candy. And you're right about the higher-level students--they just want a quiet room and some lessons, but are stuck in the middle of the chaos. I have no solutions for you; just wanted you to know you're not alone.

WoolieBear

Old 04-03-2022, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with nucleus.
Great advice! Take those sick days and look for new opportunities.