Help

BusyBoard

Into Reading

>

Hawkeyegirl1

Into Reading
Old 05-04-2022, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school is getting Into Reading next year. I would love to hear your thoughts ...the good, bad, ugly, helpful tips...

Does it have a phonics/word study component? Is it OG based?

Part of me is looking forward to having something, but the last time we got a reading series (a kazillion years ago!), it was a disaster. I am hoping this one is better.

I teach second grade.

Thank you!

Last edited by Hawkeyegirl1; 05-05-2022 at 10:07 AM..

sevenplus

Old 05-04-2022, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What grade do you teach? I use it in K and don't like it at all. Our upper grade teachers may not be as miserable.

(Willing to share more if my view as a K teacher is relevant to you.)

ChrisL77

Old 05-04-2022, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have used it in first grade, third grade and fifth grade and I despise it
The stories in the upper grades are extremely difficult and the fifth grade ones aren’t even that interesting.

They have a phonics component but I find it horrible. I don’t think it is OG based. When I taught first grade, I used fundations. Otherwise they would never have learned to read.

There are groups on Facebook that are grade specific for into reading.

If you have more questions, please ask.

Last edited by ChrisL77; 05-04-2022 at 01:51 PM..

Haley23

Old 05-04-2022, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This was one of our options when we chose new curriculum two years ago. We did not go with it as it was not aligned to current reading research.

apple annie

Old 05-04-2022, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Using it in fifth grade. Not crazy about it. There's not enough practice with specific skills. And when you teach the skills, it jumps all over the place. They say, "Don"t worry it's a spiral review so they will see the skills again.". So you teach inferencing for one lesson, for example, and then again a couple months later you see another single lesson about inferencing. Our lower grade teachers seem to like it better. One thing most of our teachers do like is that everything can be accessed online by teachers and students. Unlike the previous poster, I and my students do like many of the stories, but I really talk them up and add a lot of supplemental stuff relating to each module. The vocab is pretty rigorous but there's way more than you could effectively teach in one unit so you have to pick and choose. Also the fact that they can write in and annotate in the consumable textbook Is a plus. Unfortunately our district has reneged on their commitment to provide the resource for the next six years and is now committed to only this year and next year. So I will now have a bunch of consumed books that I am saving to use in 2023-24 that will have writing all over them. .

sevenplus

Old 05-05-2022, 12:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

As a K teacher, I hate the consumable book. It's a bunch of inappropriate worksheets that are pointless and way too hard. I never use it. I resent that our district spent money on it.

Some of the stories are good but others are uninteresting.

They are not a SoR program. There are both leveled readers (Rigby) and decodable readers but I don't think the decodable readers are well done and I dislike that there are multiple "stories" in each book. It makes it difficult for my kindergartners manage. It also means I can't give the book to them to reread independently because I always need it for another group. Plus the pages are so thin they'd be torn up easily.

The anchor charts aren't student friendly (and it's better to make your own anyway). The writing instruction is all over the place and way too hard.

I do like the vocabulary cards.

I'll never understand how districts fall prey to the publishing companies. So much wasted money. We even have an HMH coach that comes in to observe and conference with us. She's very nice but I'm annoyed.

Hawkeyegirl1

Thank you!
Old 05-05-2022, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts! I teach second grade. I guess we'll just have to try it and see how it goes. Your advice has been very helpful. Thank you again!

aly7123

Old 05-07-2022, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is our first year using this series and we all hate it. It doesn't match up very well with our reading curriculum so we tried to mix the order of the stories up to match with the reading skills on our pacing guide. Well that was a disaster because the very first story was way too hard for the beginning of third grade. So then we just went in the story order but had to teach the skills independent of the stories since they didn't match up.

It is also very confusing and not user friendly. There's way too much going on in the teacher's manual so we don't even touch that and only use the textbook that's for the teacher. Also, the website is hard to use and it takes me forever to find something on there. Finally, some of the stories towards the end of the book are really hard and the students did not seem interested in them at all. Everything is just all over the place and it makes me miss the Journeys series we had last year even though that was kind of outdated but at least the stories were more interesting and more on a third grade level.

teacherwriter

Old 05-08-2022, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm in first. I used Into Reading for the first time this year. (I found it still in its shipping boxes; last year's teacher never opened them.) The Start Right readers are phonics-based. I used them in an OG-style setting for reading groups (letter-sounds, then words/sight words, then phrases, then sentences, and finally reading). I never had time to dictate, but you could do that. You could also do the phonics/spelling pattern with more hands-on activities, OG style. The reader stories, in general, are really boring and don't lend themselves to any kind of literacy skill practice.

More...The myBook stories are uneven; some are really good and can handle literacy skill practice, but others are awful and aren't even worth reading. We haven't read them all, by any means. The selection quizzes on the myBook stories are weak and need augmentation. I have rewritten every spelling list to better review/assess skills. (I don't think the program spends enough time helping students master the skills.) The workbook pages are weak and don't offer much practice. I have made extensive use of my subscription to The Mailbox rather than the HMH Into Reading practice pages. Finally, we didn't buy the Rigby leveled readers; they're only available for us online, except that I have no computers in the classroom. So I can't speak to whether they're any good.