Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Question about Uvalde tragedy

>

PEPteach

Question about Uvalde tragedy
Old 05-26-2022, 06:19 AM

My mind keeps going back to this one thing as I rehearse safety protocols/what could happen in my own building. - How did he get in? I know he went in through a back door. Was the back door not locked? Was he able to somehow shoot the glass and open the door? I haven't read a definite answer.

Of course even in the most secure elementary school buildings, I can imagine one could get in if that is what the person really wanted to do.

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-26-2022, 06:24 AM

I've read that a back door was unlocked and somehow the shooter got past the School Safety Officer.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

I'd read the same thing
Old 05-26-2022, 06:32 AM

as Anna...

And I agree, PEP; if someone really wants to get in, I'm betting they could find a way.
kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 05-26-2022, 06:36 AM

So sad. A locked door would have at least slowed him down. I've also wondered if security is generally as tight in a rural community. I live right outside a major city, so locking doors and other security-type of things may be more commonplace.

anna

Old 05-26-2022, 06:42 AM

Teachers and students are in between a rock and a hard place. Open windows and doors for proper ventilation or lock every window and door. This should not be the case in America.

anna is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 05-26-2022, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Teachers and students are in between a rock and a hard place. Open windows and doors for proper ventilation or lock every window and door. This should not be the case in America.
1000% agree! Damned if the do damned if they donít!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 05-26-2022, 07:03 AM

I read the he entered through a back door. It seems the door was unlocked. I also thought that since the school recently had an awards assembly the doors may have been open or unlocked. It was one of the last days of school and things were not typical I suppose. I can picture altered and relaxed schedules and procedures of final school days.

Remember he also face three armed officers (one school and one district) before he entered the school. Those three were unable to stop him. Such a tragedy.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

Sidebar to original comment
Old 05-26-2022, 07:05 AM

We have a back door on our campus that says open ALL.THE.TIME because it's the only way to get to the gym behind the main building. All an intruder has to do is jump a low fence and walk in. No one monitors the kids back there, despite many teachers pointing out the safety issue.
kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-26-2022, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I've also wondered if security is generally as tight in a rural community.
I taught in a small, rural community. All of the exterior doors were locked, and we were required to have interior doors locked when students were present. We have security cameras and a buzzer system on the front door. There is also a secure vestibule so once people are in the building, they canít get past that point freely.

We had one kid let a parent in by the side door. He thought it was okay because he knew the parent. We had to reteach procedures. DHís school principal said it well. Anyone who needs in the building has a key. If they donít have one, they have to get in like a visitor.

We never had anyone with a gun, but we have had a few irate parents and three known people who were not mentally stable. (One of those was my own EX.)
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 05-26-2022, 08:49 AM

Ima Teacher, your story about the kid who let a parent in reminded me of something that once happened to me.

It was about 10 years ago, and I was subbing in a large classroom without windows. There was a door from the room leading outside that was kept locked. It was near the end of the day, and someone started knocking. The kids seemed to know who the person was, telling me it was someone who came in to run an afterschool program.

I didn't know that. The pounding continued and the kids pleaded with me to open it, but I refused. The woman in charge of the program went to the main school doors, but she later came into the room, angry. I politely stood my ground.

As I was leaving, I let the office staff know what had happened. Nobody said much, but it would have been nice if someone had told me I did the right thing.

c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

c6g
Old 05-26-2022, 09:15 AM

c6g, you did the right thing. Without a doubt.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 05-26-2022, 10:17 AM

Yes, prior to Covid we'd have 5th grade patrols stationed at all the doors in the morning and afternoon letting students in/out. We did away with that with Covid and I hope we don't go back to that. Kids should not be in a position to monitor who goes in and out, and quite frankly they would be easily overpowered.

apple annie

Old 05-26-2022, 01:08 PM

In my last school I was in a temp building for three years. It had two flimsy doors - think trailer park. And it was a pretty good walk to the main building. I often wondered if we were sitting ducks way out there.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote