Help

The VENT

Time!!!

>

SoDone

Time!!!
Old 08-02-2022, 01:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Not that finding the faculty member who can recite the alphabet backwards and the highly relevant two hour training over a program I've used three years now aren't incredibly useful to me, but open house is in four days and my room looks like a dumpster fire still. I need less craptastic meetings and more than an hour a day to work on my own stuff. My goal this year is to lower my stress level but this time of year does not help!

sevenplus

Old 08-02-2022, 01:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I find it incredibly disrespectful to us as professionals to not allow time to prepare our rooms.

I understand exactly how you are feeling.

mommy9298

Old 08-02-2022, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is one of my biggest pet peeves of teaching. We are expected to come to school on our own time to prepare our rooms. Just give us a day to do it. This year Iím not going in. Iíll use the three hours I am given. If thereís boxes around, I donít care. Iíll get it done eventually.

TheGr8Catsby

Old 08-02-2022, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We get a stipend to set up our rooms in a two weekish window before preplanning starts.

It's nice because

A. Extra Pay
B. I don't worry about my room during PD.

It's a ripoff because

A. They don't have to give us room time.
B. The stipend is less than our daily rate.

nucleus

Old 08-02-2022, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our open house is the 2nd teacher day. We are in meetings all the first day. The second day we get about 2-3 hours. It isn't possible to set everything up in 2-3 hours so we have a choice.... use our own time to set up or look like a slacker when parents come in for open house.

The third day is the student's first day so we also need to prepare for that day. UGH

Haley23

Old 08-02-2022, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My district has always provided 2 work days before students arrive. With covid stuff the past two years, they had tacked on TONS of PD days/staff only days at the beginning of the year. This year we are back to the "normal" schedule of 2 PD days and 2 teacher work days- feels weird and like the students are coming very quickly!

Honestly, it's more than enough time for me. I don't do any of the major pinterest decorating. I put paper and borders on the bulletin boards, hang up a few posters and visuals (ABC chart, number line, etc.) The rest of the "decorations" will be student work and things like anchor charts.

Returning to the same classroom, I probably needed a couple of hours. This year, I'm in a new room so I anticipate it taking longer, but still hoping to mostly have the room done on the first work day, and then have the second for all of the other things that need to be done.

KBTeacher

Go in early
Old 08-02-2022, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Several of us come in a couple of days early on our own time so we have peace of mind during PD. We come back to furniture on its sides and out of place because they waxed the floors over the summer and for some reason they canít return furniture right side up. We also have to do bulletin boards and put out basic manipulatives, class library, etc. The icing on the cake? No A/C until our first official day back!!

Lilbitkm

Old 08-02-2022, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I get it!

We get 6 days of pre-planning now (used to be 5) and we can only be in meetings for 2.5 days of that. This was pit in our contract a few years ago when teachers were constantly in meetings and not able to get their rooms done, thank goodness. But, all of my principals have been pretty decent about scheduling during those days.

We went back today and we have our meet the teacher on Friday evening, kids return next Wednesday.

We also get 3 exchange days, we can go in over the summer to set up our rooms and then use those days to not come in for our planning days at the end of each quarter. I set my room up last Friday in about 3 hours but didnít put the time in as I donít mind coming in for those other days throughout the year.

WordFountain

Old 08-03-2022, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The last few years I taught they began requiring us to start PD the week before the students began. In the past Iíd come in a few days the week before on my own time. Once they required us to be there I stopped setting up my room on my own time. I wasnít coming in 2 weeks before school started. I also lived 1 hour away so itís not like I could pop in for a few hours, it wasnít realistic for gas $ or my time. After that Iíd maybe go 1 day on my own and then it was whatever I could get accomplished in the time they allowed us. I set boundaries

Quote:
I don't do any of the major pinterest decorating. I put paper and borders on the bulletin boards, hang up a few posters and visuals (ABC chart, number line, etc.) The rest of the "decorations" will be student work and things like anchor charts.
I did this as well. The problem was that every year they required us to pack.up.everything. in the guise that the room and floors would be deep cleaned . I was very lucky to have a large classroom but it took forever to unpack, rearrange the furniture, and set up the minimal bulletins and student supplies, classroom library, etc. I taught 3rd for reference.

tgbwc

Oh well
Old 08-08-2022, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If itís not ďreadyĒ before open house itís not ready.

We have 6 work days prior to when the students begin. Our first contracted work day is Friday, August 12. I know weíll have meetings and itís a crap shoot as to how much time weíll be given to work in our rooms. I never go in before that first day.

tgbwc

Old 08-08-2022, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

If you go in on your own time why would the district ever give you paid contract time? What incentive is there if admin sees most teachers providing their time for free?

kahluablast

Old 08-09-2022, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Today is day five of our pre-school time. I found myself this year with an extra duty. 15 Chromebook carts to set up (again- they were set up before Covid...) Carts came from many different schools, so I am numbering the spots, inserting dividers in many of them, putting charging cords inside, signing out to students in each classroom. It took me 3 days in between meetings, etc to do 5 carts. I still have 10 to go.

I have done nothing in my own room other than making a mess with broken cords, mice turned in with cords, old style cords, broken computers... Plus the stuff I had to stack on my tables before the end of the year. Nothing. I don't anticipate having time today either.

Since I am a special, I am not going to stress about it. They can come in, sit on the dirty floor (no way it could be vacuumed with all this carts taking up space) and we can do something with rules and looking at where the bathrooms and ER exit is. I am sure that will take enough time.

Haley23

Old 08-09-2022, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I did this as well. The problem was that every year they required us to pack.up.everything. in the guise that the room and floors would be deep cleaned .
This always drove me nuts. Why do I have to pack up an entire room, take everyting off the walls, etc. just to set it up again the same way 2 months later?

This year I moved rooms, so I would have had to do it anyway- but when not moving it drove me crazy. They'd make us take everything off the walls "for painting" and then the room would very obviously NOT be painted when we got back. And why should I have to take bulletin boards down and put them back up again every year?