Help

Paraprofessionals

Any Paras out there?

>

twin2

Any Paras out there?
Old 07-23-2020, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm curious about how things will be for Paras in other school systems. Right now we are waiting for the announcement of which teaching model our school system will implement. I'm wondering if schools are done online will I have a job?

twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

tntworth

I'm a Para and...
Old 07-25-2020, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have heard nothing except that school will be in person 5 days a week. Normally I pull small groups for intervention in my very small, closet like room. No way can that happen. I belong to a union so I don't think I won't have a job but have no idea what it will look like.
tntworth is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

You know more than I do
Old 07-26-2020, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The school system I work for has been quiet concerning Paras. I'm very disappointed to say, many of the administrators took Paras off the email lists, and held virtual faculty meetings without paras. The union has got involved, and invited non members and members to a virtual meeting last week to tell us what they know, what they are doing and to ask us to complete a survey that will help with their meeting with the board of education next week. The board of education is expected to let us know which model they will follow for the upcoming fall start of school. Many school systems in my area will be doing online learning but I have a feeling ours will choose a hybrid system since they also surveyed employees and parents to see specifically who is in favor of an in person start to school.

tntworth

So Sorry
Old 07-27-2020, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That has to be so incredibly frustrating. I'm lucky in that my district is very forthcoming with information but they just don't have a lot of it. Things could change at any minute. I'm sorry that you are in this uncertain position and it really stinks that you are being treated so poorly. I hope you find out something soon. I'll send positive thoughts your way!

twin2

Thanks
Old 07-27-2020, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It has been frustrating. I try to keep in mind that nobody really knows what is best, and their best efforts could prove wrong. I've told myself they weren't excluding Paras, simply not bothering us at a time there wasn't anything to share. My real concerns are about job security and safety. This other stuff doesn't really mean much in the big picture.

kahluablast

Old 07-27-2020, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am not a para, but I know what most will do here while we are virtual or hybrid. If they work with a classroom, that will continue- they will meet with individuals or small groups for tasks assigned by classroom teachers. If not with a classroom they will provide support reaching out to students/families who are not checking in with teachers or high risk. They also might help with whole building things like student virtual hangouts or parent information sites.

In my school, a para who might see a need for something will speak up and their ideas are usually good ones. I would suggest if you don't know how you will be used, you think of some things you can do that would be helpful to teachers and staff and be prepared to suggest them. Last year one of our EA (Redirector) was really not a job that continued virtual, but she connected to the counselor to reach out to students and families for social emotio purposes and helped me run a flipgrid for students and families to communicate and have fun with. It worked very well and will continue in a similar manner this year.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

tntworth

That is Great Advice
Old 07-27-2020, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In the Spring, my school put all classified in teams with certified. It was up to certified as to how they used us. I was asked to continue my 1st grade math intervention on line, which I did. Had to teach myself some new things. That was fairly successful. I was also available for office hours which not one kid ever took advantage of. If there are things you did in class that you could transfer online, speak up. Teachers are so overwhelmed right now that anything you could suggest to help, I'm sure would be welcomed.

twin2

Old 07-28-2020, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for sharing what you know from your experience and what is happening at your schools.its good to know what is working in other schools because I wasn't sure what to suggest myself.