Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Older dog help

>

puzzle1mom

Older dog help
Old 07-27-2020, 04:33 AM

We have a beagle mix who is about 12 years old. With all of us being home for the last 4-5 months, her eating habits have changed and she now wants her food (we only feed her once a day) in the morning rather than in the late afternoon. She sleeps in our spare room with the door shut since she is prone to bathroom accidents. Her new ANNOYING habit is that she barks between 6:30 and 7 AM until someone comes to feed her. Normally she would wait until someone is up and then jump around for her food. I don't know what prompted this - and it's SUPER annoying, especially on the weekends when we'd all like to sleep past the break of dawn.
I have looked at those timed feeders but they are VERY pricey. Any other suggestions on this?

puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 07-27-2020, 04:40 AM

I am not a fan of them, but my daughter has a self-feeding dog bowl for her dog.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Not ideal but
Old 07-27-2020, 05:04 AM

I used to just get up, put the dog out for the bathroom, feed the dog, and then go back to bed.
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-27-2020, 05:35 AM

I'll trade you for my cat that comes in about every hour, starting at about 3am to meow in my face until I scratch her head!

I am usually up by 5:30 or 6 everyday year round anyway, but I get what you are saying!
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Star-Gazer

Donít give in
Old 07-27-2020, 06:22 AM

If she learns that you will get up and feed her, it wonít stop. When my dog was a pup she learned that if She was outside and barked, I would come see what was wrong. I made the mistake of letting her inside when that happened. Then she decided that was bette than using her dog door to get in. I had to retrain her by going to the door and looking to see what she was barking at. Tell her it was okay and to hush and then close the door in her face. It only took a few times before she started using her dog door again.

Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 07-27-2020, 06:23 AM

Well you are rewarding her behavior by feeding her when she barks for it. Maybe you can let her bark it out for a couple of mornings and then feed her promptly when she quiets down. Another thought is what if you give her half of her food at her old feeding time and feed her two small meals a day instead of one large one. I always feed my dogs twice a day and you g puppies three times a day.
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 07-27-2020, 06:56 AM

I agree that twice a day feedings may be better, if you can do it (split her normal amount into two meals). They say that's healthier for dogs. If that doesn't work for you or your dog, then I recommend choosing a meal time, and then absolutely sticking to it, no matter how much she wines or barks. It'll be really annoying until she learns, but from what I've heard intermittent "rewards" (i.e. sometimes she gets fed early when barking) are actually even more effective then always getting the "reward").

Good luck with whatever you try!
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
oic

oic

Old 07-27-2020, 07:42 AM

Instead of focusing on the food issue, I wonder if putting a diaper on your dog would help?

I had an elderly dog who was having accidents and wish I had tried it. So I donít know if it would have been the solution in my household. But, since then (dog has since passed away), I see that my daughter has a not-elderly dog that wears a washable diaper from time to time, mostly as a preventative (he seems to hold it rather than go when he has it on, lol).

Ive had her dog overnight here and put the diaper on him, but he never wet the diaper, so I donít know how well it would have held the pee. I imagine some brands may be better than others. Anyway, just something to look into, perhaps?

hand

Old 07-27-2020, 10:04 AM

I agree with the twice a day feedings. My DDIL is a vet and their dogs are fed twice a day.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Beagles

Old 07-27-2020, 04:35 PM

We never had any dogs but beagles! My vet also recommends twice a day feeding. I think when they get older their sense of time gets a bit off. My 13 year old wants to go outside at 5am!

Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote