Help

BusyBoard

Place Value Observation

>

rachelmpd

Place Value Observation
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I posted earlier about my observation coming up. It seemed the best idea to keep my normal schedule and do the 2nd part of the math lesson. The lesson is either going to be place value: "Comparing Numbers to 1,000" or "Ordering Numbers" The issue is we are on a field trip the day before, in theory we should be back in time to do a little Math, but not positive. We covered place value back in September (up to 100). During that time I did a project from I think Teacher's Notebook, where they made pirates and wrote the number in "Expanded, Standard, and Word" forms.

If I had remembered that we covered numbers to 1000, I would have waited to do the project. Should I do the project again?

rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 02-19-2013, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it is a good idea to do something that is familiar. I would do it again. Good luck.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

fiona1

place value
Old 02-19-2013, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do an extension lesson with place value where the children draw a building using the unit blocks on large white art paper to create a "Place Value Place" display. they are given one of each place value flat, rod, etc...- (not the 1000's cube) I model how to trace around, and how to label the value of each inside each tracing. This is all done in pencil. They then trace everything with sharpie, including the numbers and add them up to find the value of their building, which they label on the bottom of the page.They then color this building. I would have them do this last part after the observation. You could even make team murals where each child has a section of a roll of paper to make their creation to make a Place Value City. It would be very dynamic, energetic and believe me, very engaging for the children. You may want to have them work with a partner and a calculator to add up the value of their building or brainstorm ways to skip count by tens. hundreds, how to turn to thousands etc...and tally. The key is in your modeling. I have a model I show them with the labeling, , tracing, numbers in each tracing etc... Another challenge would be to determine the value of the entire city when each child has labeled and added theirs. Obviously, these type of extensions would be done over the week.
fiona1 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-19-2013, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just an FYI I hit place value pay dirt of tons of free stuff on Pinterest...it was great. I found place value Top-It, a great worksheet and tons of other great resources. It might be worth checking out for your eval and other things.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Tpt
Old 02-19-2013, 10:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I found a ton of stuff on TpT also, thanks. It is just weeding through it and figuring out what they can do on their own. I am leaning towards the pirate as it is easy to differentiate and it should keep them busy enough when I am working with the reteach group. This group is the same group that took about 5 minutes per problem when adding. So I am a bit scared as to how long it will take us to make some sense of either lesson.

rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote