Help

BusyBoard

Help with students who gossip

>

Daphne333

Help with students who gossip
Old 04-22-2012, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've dealt with this before, but never this bad! I have a group of 4 girls who are the ring leaders. Its gotten so bad that I've had to stop teaching and deal with it. Even had a kid in tears the other day. I've done class meetings and talked to the guilty parties. Beyond punishment, I don't know what else to do. But its gotten so bad that I can't stand it. HELP ME PLEASE!!

Daphne333 is offline   Reply With Quote

fiona1

Role Play
Old 04-22-2012, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Write down a few simple ( and close to the truth) scenarios . Each day choose students to go aside for a minute or two and come up with a way to role play. Follow up with a class discussion on the rug in a circle .This can be very powerful, puts the issues out there in a different way and alllows everyone a chance to talk without directly confronting the ones who are causing trouble.
fiona1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Read Them
Old 04-22-2012, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Mr. Peabody's Apples by Modonna. Maybe it will help.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 04-23-2012, 02:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Break up the kliq. Not hard to do at that age. Long story short, I just planted a seed of doubt that one of them was a mole and they all turned on each other and found new friends.
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

PBobcats4

Break them up
Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I like the idea of breaking them up, I know I have had the issue and the girls are never in the same groups when we do anything. Not sure how old they are but gossiping is along the lines with bullying. I had a huge conversation with my class about bullying and that due to our schools zero tolerance if I heard of it their would be huge consequences. They have already had their warning, I say if it happens again they need a punishment.

PBobcats4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Gossips
Old 04-23-2012, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It sounds like you have been dealing with this issue on your own.

Talk with your guidance counselor. Explain what is happening, who is involved, and what you have done. Ask for suggestions on other ways to handle this issue.

Maybe the counselor needs to have a "coming to God" conversation with these girls. You might need parent permission for your students to talk with the counselor.

I would also let the girls know that the next time there is a problem, you will be calling home. Yes, this will take up your precious time, but if I was a parent, I would want to know about this issue. (That is the question I always ask myself before contacting parents: If I was a parent of this child, would I want to know about what happened?)

I am keeping my fingers crossed that things improve!
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Rm. 802

Maybe
Old 04-24-2012, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

play telephone and see how things get mixed up as they are passed so gossip isn't good. I see no problem with punishing the guility. I have started taking away the "fun" end of the year activities. I have all the "fun" listed on a seperate sheet of paper and hung up in my room. For each "bad" behavior the name is added, then one check them two checks. When you get the second check that activitiy is gone for you. Had 2 already lose something. Wanted to earn it back that day - um "no" you had 3 chances. Good luck!
Rm. 802 is offline   Reply With Quote