National Board Certification

Why can't we be happy for one another?

>

why try?

why try?

Why can't we be happy for one another?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is it because we work in a system that doesn't encourage excellence but instead everyone has to be treated the same? I really dislike the way the systems are set up for teachers. Just yesterday I received my National Board Certificate in the mail (and it is HUGE) and I can't share my happiness with anyone. The same as when I finished my masters. Apparently we are suppose to help our kids learn and become better citizens but when we have a big accomplishment we are just being showy. UUGGHH!!! Really tired of the mentality that "we are all the same" because the reality is that we aren't. Anyone else experience this?

mes

Old 02-10-2013, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

So sorry, but I must admit that I have feelings similar to yours at times. For whatever reason it seems to be something that is not mentioned, let alone celebrated. I'll be happy for you though.:-)
mes is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Agree
Old 02-10-2013, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

But I am so excited you got your certificate! We had the huge storm, so hopefully I'll get it this week!

It will have to hang in my home office.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

fiona1

Achievement
Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree- I think it encourages a system of mediocrity and is very much part of what is wrong with schools and overall achievement of students. I have been told I am an "overachiever" by some colleagues- what the heck is that? You are an "achiever"- people who discourage that are suspect in my book. Congratulations!!
fiona1 is offline   Reply With Quote

jks

these days
Old 02-12-2013, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

These days we are encouraged to be "proficient", instead of distinguished. We are told that we must "grow" and that we have to start at the beginning. After 30 years and being one of the first in my county for achieving NB, I was told by new P that I was not growing. HA !! I am sick of te people who think they know everything. NB is the best prof. dev. there is and I am constantly revising my teaching based upon student needs and what I know will be successful with each learner.
WhatWorks: good advice!

jks is offline   Reply With Quote

Emptynester1

Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had a principal once who required that all teachers post their diplomas in their rooms so that parents could see how accomplished the teachers were. Doctors post their degrees, so do lawyers. Why shouldn't teachers?

With that being said, I always felt funny doing that. I guess if we all did it then it wouldn't be so weird. Maybe we should all start posting our diplomas and certificates in the classroom!

I just received my NBPTS certificate in the mail and the first thing I thought was, "This is awesome, but no one is going to see it."

What do you think?
Emptynester1 is offline   Reply With Quote

LindaR

Old 02-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I say, "Post it in your room!" I hesitated posting mine because I didn't want to appear showy....but then I realized that I NEEDED to have it in my classroom as a REMINDER TO ME of what I am capable of doing, especially on those not-feeling-so-accomplished days!

SO, I put up all my other diplomas and certificates, too, in my little corner of the world. Everyday, they all sing out to me that my students are deserving of the best and I can give them no less.

Another added side benefit----seeing my NB certificate (and the others!) everyday helps me to maintain a positive attitude
LindaR is offline   Reply With Quote

78Reilly

I say post it!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have my certificate hanging proudly in my classroom! I'm very fortunate in that teachers have visited and are happy for me and my accomplishment, and have also offered congratulations time and time again! Once when teaching my students about the word perseverance, I showed them the certificate and explained its meaning. When they see it on my shelf, they now say, "you never gave up, you have a stick- to-it attitude and I can do anything, too!" Absolutely. Out of the mouths of babes....
78Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote

starley

Old 02-20-2013, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have had my NB since 2003 and just renewed. Mine is hung in my classroom along with master's degree and class pics since I came to my school.....
starley is offline   Reply With Quote

thing1thing2

My Words...
Old 02-20-2013, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

CONGRATS TO EACH OF YOU WHO ACHIEVED NB!! I CELEBRATE YOUR DISTINGUISHED SUCCESS! [/I] Woohoo! And I dare others not to do likewise.

Yes, your students deserve the very best. I'm starting the process now and can only hope to be amongst you some day soon.

thing1thing2 is offline   Reply With Quote

punior

Congratulations!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have overwhelming respect for anyone who takes this on. We have 3 teachers in our school working on it now and they are stressed to the max! One teacher has been crying on a daily basis and I have been trying to pray with her and encourage her in any way that I can. Unfortunately there is nothing else that I can really DO for her. I have thought of going to her house and cleaning or making dinners. She spends all her time either planning for her class or working on her national boards and it is really getting to her. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

I am so sorry that you don't feel supported. We don't have the "everyone is the same mentality" at my school and my principal wants us all to strive to be "distinguished". I do know what you mean about other teachers thinking you are showing off. I have seen a little of that - they just don't seem to understand that some people just really love doing all they can.

I am in awe of all of you!!!
punior is offline   Reply With Quote