BusyBoard

Cluttered Guided Reading Table

>

Queenly

Cluttered Guided Reading Table
Old 11-27-2013, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help!

I can never keep my Guided Reading horseshoe table cleared. My poor kiddos have to clear a space to sit each and every time they come to meet with me. Does anyone have any great organizational tips on keeping the table clear? I have a container behind it to keep things in, but it seems everything still ends up on the table. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited by Queenly; 11-27-2013 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: posted on wrong board
Queenly is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs.bear

rubbermaid drawers
Old 11-28-2013, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have the same problem...How about one of the rubbermaid drawers? Maybe get one that has 2-3 drawers and it could maybe fit under the table, like a desk drawer. Then, you could just clear off the table and dump your junk in there (to be sorted through later, of course )
mrs.bear is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-28-2013, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was going to suggest rubbermaid drawers as well. Maybe two - one at each end of the table. The bonus to those is that the drawers can pull completely out so you can just grab a drawer you need and set it on the table.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

thing1thing2

Clutter
Old 11-28-2013, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have/had this problem. For me, it's about labeling drawers , committing to putting things away AND telling my students organization is what I'm continually working on. My drawers are labeled "to be graded, supplies, pens, to be copied, etc." I'd had drawers for two years but was just throwing things into them. That didn't help ME because it was still cluttered. I also make sure I have a place for the gazillion papers that are placed in my box from the office. Labeling AND telling my students has helped a LOT! They take up papers and know where to put them, even if a substitute is there.

I also have a basket that sits on the floor that has my guided reading books in them. I keep the books in plastic button bags. In the basket or near it I place stickies, note cards, and any other items my groups will use while I'm working with them.

Lastly, I have a container for pencils, highlighters, gem clips, and tiny stickies. So far, so good. I still have days where I have to clear the clutter but I have a place to put it that keeps it organized. HTH. Have fun getting organized. The plastic drawers mentioned by the pps really do help in getting organized. Just label, label, label!
thing1thing2 is offline   Reply With Quote

fiona1

GR Organization
Old 11-29-2013, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a wide plastic reading bin for each group(the magazine holder shape). Each group has a name based on their bin.All reading books, graphic organizers or other sheets for that week go in that bin. Each child comes to the group with their own bin that contains their guided reading book, and pencil. I keep a plastic basket with highlighters, extra pencils etc.... I store my bins on a small table behind us. I have a bookcase behind my chair that holds the materials bins and binders( in order of levels) with materials from GR books that I have prepared, as well as dry erase boards markers etc.... As I prep for each group I just put materials in the bin that is for their group. The child are expected to collect the books if needed and put them in the bin, or put it in their own bin. They also collect any other materials ad put them in my materials basekt etc.. they like to help and once taught routines, make the process quick and

fiona1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Peachyteacher

Old 12-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have always had (and still do) this problem. This summer I moved a small table over behind my guided reading table and put lots of baskets, containers, and a 2 filing cabinets. I put a label on everything and have a spot for all of my resources. I make it a habit of not going home until the table is cleaned. Some days I go in early to clean off and organize if I had a late meeting, etc. It is working for me for the most part. My biggest problem is clearing the table between reading groups (morning) and math groups (afternoon). I also have an extra small chair that I place a lot of things in until I can organize them later. It is a work in progress.
Peachyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 12-06-2013, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use one of those modular wire shelves behind the table. I put bins for each guided reading group, plus all of the materials I use during are on the shelf. I also have a ton of sterrilite drawers. I have a triangle easel board on my table with storage inside it, so that is where I keep everything that stays on my table.

I don't have a desk. I use my guided reading table as my desk at night and as a small group table during the day. So yeah, I have to spend about 10 minutes at the end of the night cleaning my table off for the next day.
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 12-06-2013, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I also keep a black bucket on the floor for my "catch all" during the day. If a paper/item doesn't have a place yet, I put it in the black basket. Then, I make time about once or twice a week to clear out the black basket, and find a place to put the things in it. It kind of becomes a quick way to clear things off sometimes, like if I am meeting a group and don't have time to put all of it away. But it's nice to have a distinct place to put things and not have to worry that I might not find the item. I just always know that anythign that isn't in it's designated place is in the black basket. It's more of a tub, I guess.
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote