Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Vaccine trial

>

bison06

Vaccine trial
Old 07-29-2020, 04:21 PM

My mom was offered a spot in a Covid vaccine trial. I think she isnít going to do it, but I thought it was interesting.

1) It was her understanding that you couldnít wear a mask if you participated. It makes sense to test the vaccine, but sheís a big rule follower and would make her uncomfortable to be out without one.
2) You might get the placebo, but will still be unmasked.

bison06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-29-2020, 04:34 PM

That is very interesting! I'm guessing they're wanting to increase the chances the people in the trial get exposed to covid. I heard something about how they were seeking people likely to be exposed anyway, because they can't see if it works if the person is never exposed to begin with.

I wonder how that works in places that have mask orders? Here, many businesses won't let you in without a mask, including places like grocery stores. People aren't great at wearing masks just out with friends here, but EVERYONE wears them at the store. And if you stay home because you're not allowed to go anywhere unmasked, that defeats the whole purpose to begin with...

Also, I've just been curious about something. Are people who are in these vaccine trials being paid really well? It seems like quite the gamble to ask people to take.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-29-2020, 04:39 PM

You know if they want to make sure they are exposed, why donít they expose them? That just doesnít make sense to me.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

And I've seen lots of videos
Old 07-29-2020, 04:40 PM

where people are yelling at people who aren't wearing masks, instead of just avoiding them. I wouldn't want to be a walking target for jerks to yell at. Nor would I think it wise to try to get exposed without actually having the vaccine. That seems unethical to even ask that.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-29-2020, 04:44 PM

I'm no vaccine expert or anything, but they were covering this on my local news one night and they were saying intentionally giving people the virus to see if the vaccine works is called a "challenge trial" and is reserved for later in the process once you have more evidence that the vaccine works. Doing it this early in the process would be considered unethical.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

bison06

Old 07-29-2020, 06:03 PM

Haley, those were our thoughts as well. We have a mask order here (Texas), and most stores require them.

I’m not sure about being paid, my mom says she’d like to do her part to help. But she also said she doesn’t mind staying home without a mask. So I don’t know if she’d be exposed.

Since it is Texas she’d have to drive to the Houston area regularly to participate and she doesn’t want to commit to that.
bison06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 07-29-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
You know if they want to make sure they are exposed, why donít they expose them?
I've also wondered why they don't intentionally expose the vaccine volunteers but have heard that it is medically unethical. I guess that makes sense that the volunteers who didn't get the actual vaccine would be also exposed to a potentially fatal virus. I certainly admire those who volunteered to be part of the test.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 07-29-2020, 10:18 PM

I wonder if she's mistaken on the mask? Seems it could skew results either way (if the people given the vaccine are exposed MORE then they are then more likely to catch it in general).

I tried looking up some basic stuff on clinical trials for this vaccine. I've only seen stuff about people tracking their symptoms, side effects, etc. Nothing about changing their mask or going out habits.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote