Help

The VENT

Parents who insist their kids need to be on campus

>

sonoma

Parents who insist their kids need to be on campus
Old 08-02-2020, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Parents are saying their kids are suffering because of lack of social interaction. They need to see their friends.

Do these parents realize that schools which open are not going back to "normal"? Their kids will not be able hug or play closely with their friends.

I think it would be harder for my kid to see their friend in person and not being able to have any contact than to maintain an online friendship.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-02-2020, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I ran into a friend and I had a hard time not hugging! I dont consider myself a hugger, either.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 08-02-2020, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I strongly feel that parents need to see some of the videos going around about how school will look. Kids will be six feet apart, in desks, no groups, and not moving all day. There will be no socializing in school. Itís going to be put on your mask, stay in your seat and stay six feet apart. Most schools are having special teachers go to the classroom so the kids donít have to walk around. Itís basically everything we donít usually do in school, especially the lower grades. Lunch will be sitting and eating six feet apart. Thatís if your school even has lunch. Most schools by me are hybrid and half days with a grab and go lunch to take home. If parents want socializing itís not going to happen.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 08-02-2020, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Exactly! Your kindergartner will be sitting in the same seat all. day. long! No moving about the classroom rotating stations, no carpet time, no lunchroom, etc.
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-02-2020, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I truly don’t think parents understand how different school is going to look when it opens. In some ways I think it will be harder for kids to be in school because they won’t be able to do all the activities they’re used to doing there.

The flip side is, do we really, legitimately think we’ll be able to keep these kids socially distanced? Do we really think we’ll be able to, as teachers, avoid partner activities and group work (I think kids are going to naturally drift to partners out of habit)? I gotta say, I’m not loving the chances.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 08-02-2020, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Kids being kids, no matter what age, will not be quietly sitting in their seats. If we can get them to stay in a seat, they for sure will be talking to each other - loudly because of the distance! And maintaining distance in the hall? Not possible. Adults canít even do that in a grocery store.

Iíve heard news reporters complaining about teachers who donít want to return in person. One comment that made me spit out my coffee was that plexiglass shields could be installed around teachersí desks. Seriously. What teacher sits at their desk to teach? People donít really know what we do.

Though many schools are trying to offer parents choices, there just is no good option. Covid sucks!
dutchgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-02-2020, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Whenever my 4th graders are working independently during part of the reading, writing, or math block if they need help I typically either kneel down beside them or share their chair with them. I often use their pencil as I'm trying to show them something on their paper. After 34 years of teaching I've built up a lot of immunities and rarely caught anything from them.

HOWEVER, I know I can't do ANY of that now, but how will I help them!? Those are very tough habits to break!

I don't think parents have any idea how restrictive it is going to be in school :-( .

The way we will basically have to teach reminds me of my catholic school elementary classroom in the early 70s. 40 desks screwed into the floor, no movement, no talking , all lecture. Not a model I want to recreate! ( we only have 23 kids and are most likely going to be hybrid. It is still TBD)
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-02-2020, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Parents are saying their kids are suffering because of lack of social interaction. They need to see their friends.
This whole conversation, or excuse, that school needs to open so their kids can be socialized is such a hot button for me. School is for learning, and yes, a lot of learning is done socially, however social interaction should never be the end all-be all reason for having school.

I got into an argument with a friend last week about this very topic. She was so adamant that school needs to open in person because her son needed the social interaction. She said that her and her husband actually had to take jr to the lake one evening for a picnic, fishing, and water play because he was sooo bored because he couldn't see his friends. Ummm, isn't that being a parent and spending time with your kid. School is not for raising and entertaining your child, that is the job of a parent.

I suggested she start a 'friendship pod' similar to the learning pods that have been developing around the country for the purpose of creating a safe group of friends her child can socialize with. She was afraid that it would take a lot of planning and time to organize and keep up, and she didn't necessarily want a bunch of kids at her home. School is the best place for that, she said. WHAT!

This whole 'need to socialize my child' is just another way people are passing the expectations of raising children onto the schools. Yes, I agree that kids benefit greatly from the social aspect of school, so do many of the parents. But I also think parents need to step up and find creative ways to help their children be social during this pandemic. Create the friendship pods, or even better, spend some quality family time with your own children!
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 08-02-2020, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

All of these parents who think schools should open would be singing a different tune if they were the ones who were going to be required to be there taking the risks.

They have absolutely no idea what it is like to teach in regular conditions let alone during a pandemic.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 08-02-2020, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

hmmmmmÖ.I am/have been seeing TONS of kids in my town out and interacting with each other. I have a very hard time believing that most kids have been isolated this whole time!

tia is offline   Reply With Quote

BioBirdie

My daughter...
Old 08-02-2020, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My 14 year old daughter finally realized how very different back to school was going to be. The school she attends I teach at, and they just released their tentative plans. Half the students attend Monday and Thursday and half Tuesday and Friday. The other 3 days are remote learning. Social distancing and masks when in school. Chorus and gym 12 feet apart. Not sure what lunch looks like. She'll be home on her own while her father is sleeping because he works nights. I feel so bad for the kids lives disrupted by this, but I know we can't just go back like normal this year. It's crazy that the school posted plans on Facebook and all the parents that have to question and comment and complain. This is not a year for making everyone happy, it is about doing the best we can and staying relatively safe. We have had a very low covid rate in our area, otherwise I would not want to go back at all.
BioBirdie is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Social Interaction
Old 08-02-2020, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I get the parents concern about social interaction, but I want to say 2 things about it:

1. COVID could be very dangerous, even life threatening. Are these parents saying that their child's social interaction is more important than the life of others, especially those who are older or have compromised immune systems?

2. I do understand that part of school is about social interaction. I get that. But, seriously, should that really be the MAIN focus of school? Is that why you want your student to go back? For social interaction with friends? Or do you want child to go back for the education? To me, that should be the top focus!
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-02-2020, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

School should be about education. Too many parents equate school with day care. Yes, it's too bad that this pandemic happened, but it is not right to demand that schools open if it is not safe for everyone. We are lucky that we have so much technology that students can use to be educated. I just read an article about the polio epidemics in the 1940s and 1950s when schools were closed and there were classes over the radio. Maybe if everyone would wear a mask, social distance, and stay home as much as possible, we could get this virus under control enough to safely open schools. I cannot get over the selfishness of so many people in this country.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 08-02-2020, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

One school did release a video of their back to school plan. It was meant to reassure parents, but it didn’t go over very well. I think it’s really a pretty good picture of what schools may look like this year. Here’s the article. The video is linked within the article.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5555061002
SDT is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-02-2020, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

SDT- thanks for reposting that! I wanted to see it when someone posted earlier, but forgot and never found the thread again. That was a bunch of well-behaved children following rules! The music and filming definitely put out a calm (somewhat sad) mood. I can't imagine kids at that age being quite so calm. My teenaged daughter's friends keep running towards her intending to hug her when we've seen them out and about. And they're much older than most of the kids in this video.

I do think a huge benefit of attending school is the social interaction and the skills kids learn about negotiating and working with peers and adults. Ideally, they are getting socializing experiences in the home/communities settings. The reality is that we know many aren't.

However, that is not a "reason" to open schools. We have seen how quickly this thing has spread in some recent cases (don't get me started on why parents sent a kid who had been tested for COVID to school without waiting for the test results). School shouldn't start in person until communities have a better handle on the virus. Some do have a better handle, but we are such a mobile society with so many people who don't take precautions that I don't think many communities are truly "safe," even if cases look 'good.'
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

rubyanne

Old 08-02-2020, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

My DD would be starting a new school. I am not sending her for face to face. I don’t want her being in a new school unable to socialize with other kids. Sitting in a desk all day is not socialization.

SDT: That video just broke me heart! That feels so unreal! That is not what I want for my kids or any kids even though I do appreciate schools that are implementing safety protocols.
rubyanne is online now   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 08-02-2020, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I feel like I've said this, but truly they've come home to roost. This what you get when you have two generations (parents and students) who don't understand what the word no means. You couldn't say no, because (insert ism of the week/year). You know what? Now, that no really mean no (even for precious and the relative/friend of a big shot) people are going bananas! I'm hoping we really come out of this for the better. I can't help but think of the great recession. "I'll never waste money again"...

Lottalove

But will it really look like this?? Really?
Old 08-04-2020, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

If you have ever had a [second or third grader or a fifth grader or worse- a MS or HSer] who doesn't "understand that no really means no.." or "back up" or "wait your turn.." or turn in your work in the yellow basket, from PreK through last March, what really makes us think we can teach that to them NOW before they touch everything and spread it/get it from a classmate or school personnel?

If we couldn't get them to follow directions and keep their hands to themselves from PreK to the present, they are not going to be any more receptive now. We are all in for it.

That film was probably made during the summer with select students "acting the part." It is not reality. When we get our students in front of us, in the hubbub of this new normal, plenty of good kids are going to get overwhelmed. The rougher kids, who never followed the rules/direction, who have been cooped up with just parents and/or siblings since March, will be stir crazy and worse than usual.

So, say that HALF of your students opt for the virtual/distance learning and stay home again, guess which half that will be?? I am willing to bet that it won't be the good kids. It will be the ones where Mom and Dad are tired of being the homework police and gatekeepers.

I agree that those safety precautions need to be in place and practiced with fidelity. Totally. We need to feel safe at school--students and staff. But I don't see it happening within our classrooms in real life.

Has there been a plan for those students who don't or wont follow the precautions? Can we send them home? Will the admin enforce it or have endless "talks" that mean nothing?

Myself, I will believe it when I see it. I think a lot of schools will put on a good show. I think there will be printed plans and showy displays of hand sanitizer stations, signage and arrows. There will be seating charts and walking plans and rules and regulations but the doors will close and we will have to improvise, adjust, adapt and all of that will go out the window... Just my thoughts.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote