Help

Classroom Management

Three Grade Levels, Suggestions Please

>

sharp3-5

Three Grade Levels, Suggestions Please
Old 06-30-2017, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am beginning my fifth year of teaching. My first three years as a third grade teacher, but last year I began to teach in a rural school where we have all combination classes. I have 25 third, fourth, and fifth graders. I tried different classroom management systems last year and had a hard time finding the correct match for me. In order to help me with multiple grades I have two paras in the morning during ELA and math. We break into grade level groups. In the afternoons the students go to another teacher for music, art, science, and p.e. I have struggled to find something that works well considering all of our moving around.

I need a system that is easy to teach my paras to implement and something that is easy for us all to use consistently. I did classroom money for a Friday store, Class Dojo, clip charts, etc. One worry is finding a way that myself and my paras will all use the system the same way. For example, when I gave out class money I found that I might remember but a para might forget so one grade level always had less money.

I've considered the Smarter Classroom Management system with no extrinsic rewards, Class Dojo, a marble jar, Any suggestions for me would be greatly appreciated.

sharp3-5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 06-30-2017, 11:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
...I need a system that is easy to teach my paras to implement and something that is easy for us all to use consistently. I did classroom money for a Friday store, Class Dojo, clip charts, etc. One worry is finding a way that myself and my paras will all use the system the same way. For example, when I gave out class money I found that I might remember but a para might forget so one grade level always had less money. ...
You are correct in assessing the difficulty of coordinating "management" among several teachers and classes. Recommend staying out of the business of showy programs - charts; clips; cards; tokens; tickets etc. - which make discipline "public". Give a ticket to one student for being on-task and not notice another (because teachers are busy and can't see everyone all the time) and students will think you unfair. And, as you mentioned, an aide rewards a student but you don't - again, unfair in students' minds.

The most meaningful reward for any student is relationship. What student doesn't want a teacher or aide to walk by his/her desk, bend down and whisper, "Your topic sentence gets the reader's attention", then move on to other students. Michael Linsin (Smart Classroom Management) is anti-reward for varied reasons. Fred Jones (Tools For Teaching) suggests using "learning" (PAT) as an incentive. Cost for the teacher in terms of management and clerical work is practically nil. Both Jones and Linsin promote the idea of rewarding kids for doing "nothing". Linsin uses the example of giving everyone a pencil as they leave class at the end of the day, no matter what happened during the day. Jones cites the use of "teacher gift" to everyone of 20 minutes to do a preferred activity. Students don't have to do a thing to earn it. It's free. These tend to get students out of the "I'll do it if you give me something for it" mind set. Eventually, as the year rolls on, the mere physical presence of the teacher signals to students the "management system" is in place.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote