Help

Classroom Management

I've got a long way to go but....

>

dedicated101

I've got a long way to go but....
Old 06-02-2017, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I noticed I was handling a lot more difficult behavior today by being soft spoken and using the "look" than by raising my voice

Like I said, I've got a lot to learn still but I'm in such a better mood at the end of the day when I haven't raised my voice.

dedicated101 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We have microphones
Old 06-02-2017, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That has really helped my classroom management. They can always hear you without you having to raise your voice. I also have noticed that my mood at the end of the day is much better if I keep my voice soft and stay even tempered.
linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

dedicated101

I wish
Old 06-02-2017, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wish that all schools had microphones. Particularly with how chatty children seem to be these days. They seem to become more chatty every year.
dedicated101 is offline   Reply With Quote

LibbyRWindsor

On microphones...
Old 06-05-2017, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

While microphones can be helpful, I could not stand them when I was in a school that required their use. Our principal decided that they were critical classroom components and teachers were required to have them clipped on them at all times (except for while in the bathroom or on break). If we got caught not using them or not having them on us, we were reprimanded. It was ridiculous. Most teachers in our school did not like them and resented being forced to use them. I am big on technology but I feel that each teacher needs the freedom to decide what works for their classroom.

I am sorry, OP, for getting off topic a bit. How great that you are feeling better about your classroom management! Way to go!
LibbyRWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 06-05-2017, 10:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I noticed I was handling a lot more difficult behavior today by being soft spoken and using the "look" than by raising my voice ...
Good observation. Increasing your volume in response to student disruption tells students 1) you are losing control 2) you are no different than their parent. I used to raise my voice when the class was calm, not doing anything. I would start a sentence with "TODAY!!! we will be learning about ... . " Kids were startled, often waking up from a coma. When kids were goofing off I would remain silent, go to the board, draw a flow chart, stand and point saying nothing. The first kid(s) to follow my visual direction got their names written on the board under the heading, "On Task". Names-on-the-board in my class were a good thing. It meant you got to go to recess early. After several graphics sessions I stopped talking altogether, sometimes a whole period. Students couldn't talk either. They had to communicate with pictures too. I gave them special "mute" paper (scratch paper) to draw or write their question(s) or comments. During guided practice I carried a white board (or legal tablet) to answer (draw/write) helping interactions. Students seemed to like the challenge of NOT talking, using graphics instead. Often they would request a "mute session" versus typical teacher blah-blah-blah.

Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

1elateacher

Old 06-09-2017, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have learned to not over react and just stop and assess the situation before responding. Using a quieter voice makes me feel calmer and usually helps with the mood of the class.
1elateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ninetwo

How fun!!
Old 06-11-2017, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Love this! Mute session, how fun! I am going to do this!!! Thanks!
Ninetwo is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwonder

Fenwick -
Old 09-12-2017, 10:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Mute session sounds interesting - what grade level? I've noticed that if I'm losing my voice and can't talk my little critters will go out of their way to be quiet. But after three days you're just plain dead!
teachwonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 09-15-2017, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Grades 4,5,6. It evolved from losing my voice too.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote