Help

Classroom Management

Fast finishers

>

Ninetwo

Fast finishers
Old 05-02-2017, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you do with the fast test finishers? I have some that finish super quick and those that can take two days, not kidding. What do you do to keep the finished occupied and quiet so others can finish?

Ninetwo is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-03-2017, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Reading or unfinished work or the only options. 1) Because the only thing that improves reading is reading and 2) I don't want them to rush through their work to get to something super fun.

I generally give them a set amount of time to work, if the majority are still working when that time is up I may give them 5-10 min more then we move on. If it's not done I either have them finish it during Daily 5, morning work or for homework.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 05-03-2017, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Mine are just like the PP. They keep a folder for unfinished work in their desk. They either get that out, or they read. Practice makes perfect even in reading.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Finisher's board.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm assuming this is regular testing, not standardized testing. My students' options are: silent reading, unfinished work, or finisher's board. I bought a whole year's worth on TPT. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...0-Weeks-252376 It has 6 activities: draw it, read it, write it, solve it, make it, and do it. There are also 3 journal prompts. They each have a notebook where they can do the activities.
You can make your own with different tasks.
This year's group hasn't used it much, but last year I had students who ALWAYS wanted to do it.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwonder

Old 09-12-2017, 10:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

MissAgnes - I will look that up. I always go for silent reading. I have a poster in my room of six things kids can do (silent read, practice cursive, practice printing, look up spelling words, look up vocab, use spelling in sentences, use vocab in sentences, etc.). When they say they're finished what can I do I tell them to look at the chart. If I have kids messing around I tell them, "When you finish this assignment you need to do number 4." A lot of times a kid will say, "Can I silent read?" if things are going well I say yes, but if there is a lot of goofing off going on then I just say, "No, you will complete number x." Not perfect, just what I do.

teachwonder is offline   Reply With Quote