Help

Classroom Management

my observation wasn't great

>

Newbielibro

my observation wasn't great
Old 04-28-2017, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am new to the classroom this semester (I used to be a librarian).

I just recently had my first formal observation. And there was an area that was marked as potentially needs improvement or unsatisfactory. I'm feeling discouraged. My lesson mostly went well, I thought. The set up part took too long (I didn't think it would take students as long as it did), but we got everything done. I had a few students who didn't want to work, but I insisted that it was important and they did do it. My evaluate noted that, so I am hoping it isn't terrible.

But I am nervous. I just got the feedback today and haven't had my meeting yet. What if my overall eval isn't good? I am just a temporary teacher for the semester. I really want to do a good job and progress, but I am feeling uncertain now.

I had a really rough time with students acting up when I started, but things improved dramatically after a quarter (time consistency, some tweaks to my management plan), and are not where they would be ideally, but are at a decent place now.

I am feeling pretty discouraged because I have worked so hard to get to this point this semester-- I was finally feeling less overwhelmed and like I might end up being truly good in a classroom in a couple of years. But now I am thinking I am just going to be a sub or temp for years and not build up those skills and it is exhausting.

Newbielibro is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Be easy on yourself!
Old 04-28-2017, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Teaching is hard, and it's a continual learning/growing process. It takes time to become proficient in all the areas we need to deal with. It takes five years to really feel like an experienced teacher. We all have areas to grow in, and I'm saying that after 30 years. Nobody achieves perfection, so be open to learning. Dont get discouraged, it's your P's job to help you perfect your craft. It sounds like you are doing well and have already learned so much.

I've always said when I feel like I've learned it all, it's time to retire. Education is constantly evolving and changing. That's what makes it exciting- never a chance to get bored!

Let us know how your post conference goes. You should feel encouraged afterwards, not beat up. Sending good thoughts!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbielibro

I do feel better
Old 05-01-2017, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Most of the meeting was spent talking about what went well or what I might do differently. I asked for some more ideas and suggestions and my admin gave me a couple of suggestions and said we would touch base again tomorrow and she would try to stop by the room (apart from observations) and see what she noticed and give me more feedback.

At my old school I never had support and the suggestions tended to be things that the kids hated and were ineffective, and just were tense...

Here I feel like they want me to do well. I don't know what next year or the year after hold yet, but I sure want to give it my all now.
Newbielibro is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Thanks for the update!
Old 05-01-2017, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Glad it went well. Thanks for letting us know. Keep up the good work!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote