Help

Classroom Management

Behavior Chart

>

twin2

Behavior Chart
Old 05-27-2017, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For those of you who's schools require a school-wide behavior chart system in place, and you are not a fan, what did you do? Obviously admin wants to see the system in place and being used. There was a time that I was a fan, but I have really lost faith in managing behavior that way.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Positive Behavior Supports
Old 05-29-2017, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is long - sorry....
I give the color or check for school behavior plan things like:
- out of uniform
- unpreparedness (incomplete homework, No homework
- bigger discipline things: defiance, disrespect, fighting

Overall, in my classroom I focus on & reward the positive behaviors. For that I have a class marble jar. We brainstorm rewards that as a class they'd enjoy (games, extra recess, computer time, etc.) Additionally, as I have an extremely behavioral class this year - I began everyone (yes, even the one's who didn't need it) with a sticker chart. Instead of tying the sticker reward to a specific behavior I would "catch them" demonstrating a class or school rule and reward with a sticker. As time goes on I wean them off of the sticker chart and focus more on the marble jar. Usually when a student sees a peer earn a sticker for something they are quick to fix their own behavior. Whenever their chart was filled (it could take as long as they needed- a week, 2 weeks, a month - the class would cheer "Wahoo!". Then, I hung the chart on the "Wall of Wahoo". They could also choose a prize (pencil, eraser, etc). In the beginning of the year I give out stickers like it's my only job

I personally love the marble jar because 1- the sound is audible when it plunks in. and 2-I found that this encourages the class to work as a team to fill the marble jar because they all benefit. Each year I tweak it to work best for my students. This year the prize bag is huge whereas my prior class could care less and only wanted iPad time. Try what works best for you and your students.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

That might work for me
Old 05-29-2017, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have wondered how teachers made more than one behavior system work at a time. Your suggestion actually makes sense to me. So, I can tie certain things to the school mandated behavior system (color system) and use another means, such as the sticker chart or marble jar to motivate students to follow the rules. Maybe that's what I've been missing all along.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

I forgot
Old 05-29-2017, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One more thing: if there is a specific behavior that I want to target it becomes a "Double Marble Challenge". For example, they are not pushing in their chairs or blurting or not turning in their homework complete THAT becomes a focus. So if I "catch" them doing it (pushing in their chairs, raising their hand, etc) I'll put 2 marbles instead of one. I remind them the faster we fill the jar the faster they earn their reward.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Or if you try something different - I'm always looking for new ideas and what works for others.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Ninetwo

Don't do what I did
Old 06-07-2017, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ha! I quit! For more reasons than just that, but that was one of the reasons. Is it CHAMPS? I think that is a fine system, it was just to much maintenance for me.
I think that just as every student learns differently, every teacher manages their class differently. You have to do what feels natural and comfortable to you or you will not do it well. I think a school wide behavior expectation is necessary, but how you run and teach that should be up to you and your students. My principal now is awesome and supports and trusts us to run our classes how we choose as long as our students are following school rules and succeeding she is happy.

Ninetwo is offline   Reply With Quote