Class DoJo questions/promoting positive intrinsic behaviors - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Classroom Management

Class DoJo questions/promoting positive intrinsic behaviors

>

Hpylife

Class DoJo questions/promoting positive intrinsic behaviors
Old 06-14-2017, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all,
I tried scrolling through to find a topic ,,but figured I'd just post a new one.

I have not tried using Class DoJo in the classroom. I have watched the online tutorials and video's about it. But I'm wanting some real life reviews. I am on the fence about using it. On one hand I think it's a great way to document things and have parents really roped into what is going on in the class. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of having my ipad or phone to constantly be tracking things. I feel like I just barely have time as it is with teaching lessons, let alone be responsible for tapping/tracking points all day.

So the question is, Does using class DoJo help you , or make things more time consuming for you? Do the students seem to value this system more than others?

My second question is this, I have never been comfortable with using bribes like candy, and charts or a "clip chart" system that seems to be so popular. I want to instill intrinsic behaviors.

I have had multiple students that end up on "teachers choice" or below the "ready to learn" and they are devastated. I've also noticed that no matter how much you explain to parents or students, they feel like they have failed unless they reach "outstanding" ....they aren't ok with being on "ready to learn". I'm tired of giving kudo's to students that would normally be "ready to learn" anyway, while the students that struggle with behavior issues are constantly stressed about getting at a certain level or color. I want to use a system that is simple and easy to use that doesn't rob me of valuable time by having to document and use up class time.

I want my classroom to focus on the positive . I feel like having the chart system and clipping up or down defeats that purpose. So, what are some fresh and new systems or ideas that you have seen or heard about that focus on positive behaviors and building self esteem?

thanks in advance for comments and ideas!!!

Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveNoles

Dojo
Old 06-14-2017, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've used it for 3 years and really love it. It doesn't take much time at all - often I'll just write "Dojo points" on the board and write names of kids who earned points during a lesson or transition, etc and then enter the points when it's more convenient. I like to give points when the kids are on task because the little "bling" sound that happens when a point is awarded gets the slackers (most of the time) to begin working. The kids love it because they can make the avatar their own. I teach 5th grade and again, really love it.
LoveNoles is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-15-2017, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have used it for 3 years and love it. It doesn't take any extra time at all. It truly depends on how you choose to use it. One of the great things about it is that it's totally up to the teacher how to use it. I use it on my phone and the kids love hearing the dings when I'm giving the points.

I also really love the parent communication aspect, the fact that I can post pics on Class story to show exciting things we're doing and school story to connect the entire school.

I also would love for students to work intrinsically, but I don't think that's where we are as a society right now.

If you Google search this site, I posted my Dojo point rewards. They're all free (except the prize box). Feel free to PM me of you have questions.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

kcougar

Go with your gut
Old 06-15-2017, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have used Dojo in the classroom and the behavior management piece is just "not me." Just like you said, I was not good at continually keeping up with points. I also do not do well with charts and systems. (I did use Class Dojo for parent communication. I love the Class Story feature and the student portfolios.)

I feel it's important to encourage intrinsic behaviors in my students. I would suggest reading the Responsive Classroom materials...I'm reading several of the books this summer and they seem to better fit my personality and teaching style.

www.responsiveclassroom.org
kcougar is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 06-16-2017, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
...I want my classroom to focus on the positive . I feel like having the chart system and clipping up or down defeats that purpose. So, what are some fresh and new systems or ideas that you have seen or heard about that focus on positive behaviors and building self esteem? ...
Take a look at Fred Jones' Tools For Teaching. Jones spent two decades observing teachers. Rather than telling teachers what should work Jones had the teachers tell him what did work. At first he couldn't tell what some teachers were doing to elicit so much cooperation and time on task. There were no charts. No clips. No cards. In short, there were no overt displays of discipline. These teachers, he labeled them "naturals", made discipline look easy. They destroyed the myth disciplinarians don't smile until Christmas. They never yelled and never sent kids to the office. These teachers were warm, friendly and very protective of students.

Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

bison06

Old 06-19-2017, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I feel like I could've written your post. I did try Class Dojo this year and it helped at first but students only followed directions if I was watching to get a point.

I've been reading about Responsive Classroom stuff for next year also.
bison06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hpylife

Old 06-19-2017, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

thanks everyone for the feedback and info! I'll def check out the advice and read up on the title's suggested. Thank you!
Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote

sharp3-5

Old 06-30-2017, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have used it and feel like it worked with some classes but not others. I liked that I could personalize the positive and negative behaviors so I could add "Teamwork" to the positive if that was something we were focusing on. I used the daily and weekly percentages for some sort of reward. We would have "Fun Friday" time and if you were below 60% you did not earn that time. If you were above 90% you got free time on the Chromebook. Between the two and you got to do an approved Fun Friday activity. The noise was always a great reminder to kids to be on task.
sharp3-5 is offline   Reply With Quote

brownbear

Old 07-09-2017, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love using Class Dojo however I have a Smart board so students can see their points and it's easy for me to give/take points.
brownbear is offline   Reply With Quote