Help

Classroom Management

Procedures

>

mrteacherguy

Procedures
Old 07-24-2017, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have come to the realization that in the past several years as a teacher, while I knew what I wanted the students to do, what I wanted my procedures and classroom routines to be, I didn't do the best of job at communicating them to my students.

A few of the teachers that I have worked with in the past have said that they sometimes take up to a week at the beginning of the school year to focus almost exclusively on practicing procedures. I would like to focus on clearly teaching my procedures this year, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

What are some good ways to teach procedures to students? And should I focus solely on the procedures or should I balance it some with basic content (the scientific method and measurements for example)?

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-24-2017, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always make a list the first day of school of what I want to cover. If you're unsure what you want to cover there are some free lists on TpT that at every comprehensive.

Personally, I like to weave them into basic/review lessons. My team mate would spend the entire first week just doing procedures. It's an individual preference. What I do is review each procedure as we come to it (i.e.: how to turn in papers, how to line up, what to do when you're done).

I also give directions verball and write them on board throughout the year.

I also have kids repeat then back to me. I choose 3-5 kids to tell me what I said so I know they understood it. You could also have them turn and tell a friend.

Establishing clear procedures, expectations and routines at the beginning of the year will save you a ton of headaches throughout the year. It's worth the time.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

ceceteaches

mrteachguy,
Old 07-25-2017, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is sooo worth it to invest the time in teaching rules and procedures! I like to get the kids involved as much as possible, so we have discussions throughout the week with me asking them questions like "how should we turn in our work?" or "what does walking in a line look like? " I teach/model the procedure; let them practice; or get 1 or 2 students to practice; let them do it wrong; etc. I throw in review games/fun sheets/get to know you activities/ and let them chat things out with each other too. This year I'll have them break off into small groups, chat/practice the procedure, then come as a group and show the class. I have found in my 17 years of teaching that this 1 week actually makes my year run a lot smoother!
ceceteaches is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 07-25-2017, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
...I have found in my 17 years of teaching that this 1 week actually makes my year run a lot smoother! ...
Exactly! I recall being laughed at by a colleague for spending so much time on R&Rs. Three weeks later she was working on discipline. You could tell she was working on discipline because you could hear her three doors down.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Not Allowed
Old 07-26-2017, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is crazy but last year we got a schedule saying that we should devote no more than 15 minutes on the first few days to procedures. Our clueless admin. wants us to get right to content ASAP. On the paper, it said, "You should devote no more than 15 minutes the first week to ice breakers and procedures." My eyes almost popped out of my head.

I cut down on practicing procedures like I used to. What a mistake. This year, I am going to do my thing and maybe do about 15 minutes a day of procedures. I typed out a list of mine so I don't miss anything.

You can tell our admin. never taught a lot. Teaching and practicing procedures are more important than jumping right into content.

Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-26-2017, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Like Greyhound, I do procedures as I teach, not in isolation. There may be a procedure that I want the kids to help me establish as ceceteaches talked about.

I do curriculum in a manner that gets me information that I need, while providing opportunities for the kids to get to know each other. Like teaching a game that we will use all year long, or having them do some activity like Save Fred in small groups. Read alouds help establish procedures for listening, getting in and out of chairs, where and how to sit, while helping me get to know them with questions and discussion. Giving a beginning assessment for math shows them how we take tests and an opportunity to go over those rules. A reading response gives me a writing sample, plus teaches them where to do their writing, how to turn it in, expectations during writing... So it is curriculum, not procedures, but it is procedures as much as getting right into material.

I really don't do any icebreakers. Most of my kids are returning, not new students. I do give new students a mentor and let the mentor leave with them a little early for recess to show them around.

The biggest procedures I have to "teach" is the recess rules. Holy cow, there seem to be many even though we have pared them down as much as people could stand. By the time I get done sharing recess rules, they need a recess.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Videos
Old 07-26-2017, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Last year, we recorded mini videos of certain procedures. 1st I record volunteers doing the procedure incorrectly and rest of the class says "No!" and then I record volunteers doing it correctly and everyone else says "Yes!". They love seeing the videos when I play it back as a quick review. Rather than repeating the procedure, they pay more attention to watching it. I agree with other PPs who suggested incorporating it into basic/review lessons.

Here's a list of our basic procedures from last year. I posted a copy on our class website so parents can view it as well. Of course every class is different so I say just do what works for you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2 - Class Procedures 2017.pdf (185.1 KB, 74 views)
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-26-2017, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Recess kills me. It doesn't matter how much time I spend on recess or how often I go over expectations, I have more issues at recess than I do anywhere else. It's a double edge sword; they need recess, but can't handle the freedom. And yet, when I give extra recess and go out with them I almost never have issues.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

ThatDiva

Old 08-03-2017, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My district also wants us to teach on day one. Other school districts give them two days. They do rules, procedures, and set-up interactive notebooks. Much more realistic. I rarely get through my first week's lesson plans.
ThatDiva is offline   Reply With Quote