Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Wonder for 3rd grade?

>

GreyhoundGirl

Wonder for 3rd grade?
Old 07-27-2017, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was under the impression "Wonder" was a 5th grade book. Has anyone read it for 3rd grade? Thoughts?

People on a 3rd grade FB page I'm part of are saying they're doing it as a read aloud. I have reservations, but haven't read it.

Others are saying they did "A Wrinkle in Time". I've read that. My 5th graders struggled with that. I can't imagine doing that with 3rd graders. Yikes.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 07-27-2017, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was just talking with my SIL and she said my niece's teacher had done it with her reading group in 3rd grade. I have no idea how well my niece reads but I kinda shook my head at it. I've never taught 3rd but have taught 2nd and 4th and truly can't imagine teaching Wonder to 3rd graders. Even if they can understand the plot I think they would miss out on some of the connections (feelings of ostracization the main character feels, the pressure felt to exclude him). SIL reread the book just now during the summer after 4th grade and niece really liked it.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

I wouldn't.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach fourth, and I think that may even be too young to read it. I know my upcoming class won't be able to fully get it, because they are an immature group. (I teach in a small school, so I know the kids pretty well already.) I think 3rd is entirely too young!
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-28-2017, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have read it myself, but not to my class. I did consider it, as I had a parent tell me how good the book was. I think that most of my kids could understand a big part of it, as much as any kid not going through something like that, anyway. However, I thought that it might bring up more than I was interested in going into discussion-wise.

There are so many more books out there to read.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-29-2017, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

They read it as a read aloud in at least one of our 5th grade classrooms. I read it myself, and felt it was a bit too mature in parts to do in my 4th grade. Knowing 5th grade uses it, I wouldn't want to use it also anyway.

twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Schlteacher

Can't see that
Old 07-29-2017, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just read Wonder in summer school with kids entering sixth grade, and I think they were the perfect age for it. I couldn't see reading it with third graders. Even if they comprehended the basic events of the story, a lot of the deeper themes and literary concepts (point of view, etc.) would be lost on them. The main character is entering fifth grade in a middle school setting, which would be hard for younger students to identify with.
Schlteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kathy

Old 07-29-2017, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Love that book and encouraged DH to read it with his 5th graders. I just don't feel it's a good fit for 3rd. Sometimes I think teachers love a book and want "to make the shoe fit." I agree with the others. ..not for 3rd.
kathy is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-29-2017, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Kathy-that's exactly what I was thinking. Thank you.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

*Fairydust*

wonder not for third
Old 07-31-2017, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I LOVE Wonder. But not for third graders. They won't be able to truly appreciate the themes...and Mr, Browne's precepts too! Fourth is an ok grade to try it ( I have read it aloud and it takes some discussing for some to get it). I definitely have wished I could make the shoe fit several times....Like I love Walk Two Moons...but would never read with my 4th graders. The movie is coming out too...so people want to read it with the kids because of that too i think.
*Fairydust* is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 08-05-2017, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

No. I read it aloud in 5th and a couple of parts even made me slightly edit. I don't remember what exactly. I hate that people think just because a book is good that it should be read to younger audiences. They aren't usually mature enough to understand the themes even if they comprehend the book. I taught "The Giver" in 8th grade. I love it. However, I have heard of people doing it in 5th grade. The themes are way too mature.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher0729

Old 08-25-2017, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Grades 3-5 all did the book as a read Aloud. it was our all school book. Fourth graders definitely loved it and understood it and they were reading at a third grade level. I'm not sure how third graders did
teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote