Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Lego Robotics Club???

>

kpossible518

Lego Robotics Club???
Old 08-22-2017, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school has done a survey with parents on clubs that they would want for the after school program and Lego Robotics is one of the first few choices. I absolutely love Legos but I've never done any robotics work....does anybody have any advice or resources that they have found that worked for them?

kpossible518 is offline   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 08-22-2017, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I coached a First Lego League team for two years- two years ago. Here is their website http://www.firstlegoleague.org Explore that for sure.
From what I remember they have a new theme each year with challenges to complete. Each challenge is worth different points. You need a robot kit, we used EV3, and I think they still use that one. They are really expensive. You also need a handy person to make the "table" in which the challenges are performed. There are directions on how to make it somewhere on the site. You will also need a laptop for programming and you will need to download the software.
There were 3 parts to competing- core values, robot challenge, and research project based on the theme. I'm not sure if they still use all 3 or not.
Not sure if that helps or not, let me know if you have any more questions!
owl98 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 08-29-2017, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was going to jump in with what Owl98 said....I too coached a First Lego League team two years ago. We still have a team but my colleagues stepped up to run it. They still have the three parts of the core values, robot challenge and research projects. The kids love it. The first year we just did the Fun Day and this year I think they're trying a new competition too.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote