Help

Classroom Management

Smartclassroommanagement. Is anyone

>

gunther922

Smartclassroommanagement. Is anyone
Old 09-04-2017, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

using this? I read Michael Linsin's "Dream Class" and have read all of his articles. I love his advice. However I have a difficult time following through on consequences. My partner teacher and I usually do lots of conversations with the children (5th grade). Regarding the consequences, when it is time to move a child to another area (time out) I do not have enough room in my classroom! But I know I need consequences. I usually track their behavior on a clipboard and will have them owe me minutes at the beginning of recess or walk laps at recess.

On the other hand I really like Marvin Marshall's plan: "Discipline Without Rewards or Punishments."

I would love feedback on either of these. Thank you!

gunther922 is offline   Reply With Quote

Riding4Him

I'm Trying it!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've read Michael Linsin's book The Classroom Management Secret I feel like I'm an effective teacher but my "being too nice" gets in the way of managing my class. Last year I had one student that I spent a lot of time with that kept everyone (and himself) from learning. This year I really wanted to fine tune my management plan. Last year I tracked behavior on a clipboard and they "owed" minutes during recess. The problem was I didn't like to take the time out of my teaching to track and we have one 20 min. recess so kids that really needed to get out and run were losing time. I didn't like that so I didn't follow thru when I needed to. I have kids in lots of different areas this year and I didn't want to make a "time-out" corner so I'm going to have students move from whatever area we are in to a different area. For example, if we are doing group work then it's back to your desk for 5 min. (Students are responsible for watching the clock for 5 min.). If we are at our desks it may be move to the red carpet for a time out. Secondly, I have a binder with blank behavior notes home. For the third offense, students will be instructed to go to the binder, take out one sheet, fill in their name, date, and the number of the classroom rule that was broken. They have a spot to write anything else they feel that I or their parent needs to know. Then they will put it on my desk. I will add something later, document it, send it home to be signed. This way I am not stopping my teaching which I hate to do. I am striving to have more accountability on the student and less on me. Our school has a 100 point behavior system for upper elementary so each time the student gets a third offense it will be 5 points off so I'm working with the system in place too. This way students will not miss any recess unless we have a problem at recess itself. I am unfamiliar with your second reference. We start school tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. We will brainstorm classroom rules tomorrow. Then I will pull them together into a short, concise list for the class. (I teach 3rd btw) My goal is to be at 5 classroom rules. I really liked the book, The Classroom Management Secret. I will be incorporating occasion rewards for the whole class. I liked the idea of getting away from weekly awards. They were hard to manage and felt ineffective. Good luck with the program.
Riding4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

SCM and 1-2-3 Magic
Old 09-04-2017, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I substitute teach, and I am a huge fan of Michael Linsin and his Smart Classroom Management blog and website. He has archives of indexed seven years of materials and many books. And I simply love the teachers' comments that are included at the bottom of each article. Teachers comment on what does and does not work in certain instances. Linsin also provides a free weekly emailed article to those who sign-up.

I've spent a weekend researching the topics of how to get through to difficult students and set up a management plan on his website. His material is priceless! He has so much experience in teaching and relating to children of all ages. I was able to engage Middle Schoolers in lessons after that weekend; my daughter now has fun teaching high schoolers.

I also recommend a book called 1-2-3 Magic for Teachers: Effective Classroom Discipline Pre-K through Grade 8 by Phelan and Schonour. This book teaches you how to set-up your rules and consequences, easily.

These two resources along with a labelled alphabetical key list of good behaviors/infractions using an attendance sheet on a clipboard allows a teacher to easily check mark and track each student's behavior, daily....

You have to be consistent and work at your procedures and modelling your classroom behavioral management plan until the students get it.... and you will have to stop and repeat your modelling every so often, but it will truly make your classes easier. This year, I am enjoying teaching 5th and 4th graders along with the 1st-3rd grade students that I normally teach!

These resources work!
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 09-05-2017, 10:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use Michael Linsin's management ideas also. I don't have a designated formal time out area. I just send them to sit at a back corner of the room. They just drag a chair over or sit on the floor. It doesn't have to be a closed off space. They just have to know that they are being separated from the rest of the class and will not be participating in whatever activities, discussion, etc. that the rest if the class is doing. Also Linsin says they need at least 15 minutes in time out. Five minutes is not long enough. After that they still have to raise their hand to let you know they're ready to rejoin the group. When they tell me they're ready, I always just say, "ok, do you not what to do?" If they say yes, then they go back to their seat and that's the end of it. So metime they'll sit in timeout for thirty or forty minutes before they ask to come back. I think they forget to let me know they're ready, but I still always wait for them to initiate.

I don't think Linsin's plan is going to be effective if you're trying to also use other methods, like rewards for good behavior, or reflection sheets or clip charts, etc.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Both
Old 09-06-2017, 01:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I get Michael's newsletter and get great tips and reminders. But the. Ore of my program is DWS. If they need consequences, they come up wth them. I also tie it in with bucketfilling. Some classes embrace one more than the other.

I am philosophically opposed to clip charts and reward systems. Intrinsic motivation is what works best for me and my first graders.

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote