Help

Classroom Management

Card System

>

Bella

Card System
Old 09-09-2017, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just wondering if anyone uses a color coded card system for classroom management, and if it is effective? Yellow = warning , Orange = consequence , Red = Phone call home. I have a couple students who I feel may constantly be in the red, so I'm not certain on the effectiveness of this system. Would love hear others thoughts.

Bella is offline   Reply With Quote

dubby

Personally don't like it.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The problem with these systems is that they routinely help internalize the idea that children are innately either good or bad. I've subbed for colleagues who've used it and that teacher's students have straight up told me "oh Timmy is always in the red". As a "red student" there is no way out in this system and so you just continue acting out. Why? Because what's worst than being in red? Nothing.

Had another co-worker asked me to help her modify that clothespin system and we came up with the reflection model instead. The tabs were not scaled vertically or horizontally (this implies desired progression), but in a 4 table grid (which means you are currently working in one of the squares).

[challenging to excel] [re-evaluating action/choices]
[reflection bubble] [importing knowledge]

The reason we incorporated 2 obvious positives was that the students could see the entire grid was mobile. Just because you were in one grid at that moment, does not mean you had to be there 10 minutes later. Also the entire class could move into the personal reflection zone including the behavior kid.

Something like "I am going to move the entire class to the reflection zone, I want you to remember the last time you kept your hands to yourself even though you were very upset at a person at school or home" I'll come by and peek into your thoughts. Choose 2 random students and listen to them for like 5 seconds. Reach the behavior kid and then stealth-fully have them reflect on their behavior and mark it in your private notebook. Afterwards, tell class you'll choose 2-3 students to share their reflection with the class. Next, tell that now they should move into either excelling or importing knowledge (their choice!). Here's the key part for the behavior student. Have them go first and explain to the class their choice and why. This way the class hears and see that "Pamela" is doing what the other kids are doing (holds them accountable).
dubby is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 09-10-2017, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I dont like color cards or clip charts or anything that's very public.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 09-10-2017, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Carding is names-on-the-board with colors. It's the three strikes you're out approach. The hope is a student will cringe with impending doom as her/his name is displayed in public for all to see. And wear a flak jacket if you catch one student, get busy, then miss another for the same "crime" -- "Hey Teach! She was talking too!"

Your concern about business as usual regarding chronic behavior problems is valid. Some time back my district adopted carding. It was the rage at the time. Before the system started every teacher on the faculty could tell you with 100% accuracy who would be living on red. My suggestion was flashing neon aka Vegas so not only could classmates see who is "bad" but also those in the hallway and possibly those driving by in the street.

When I was in school and got my name on the board I wanted to get even not become a model citizen. I would act out hoping another check was coming. I didn't care if my mom was called. That was in the future, possibly that night or the next day before anything was going to happen. I lived in the moment. The moment said revenge - get the mean teacher for embarassing me in front of my peers. A problem that usually started out small like talking to neighbors escalated into large quite quickly due to the teacher's reaction. If the teacher had the good sense to keep discipline private I probably would have folded since the motivation for revenge and saving face would have been removed.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote