Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Has anyone here....

>

lisa53

Has anyone here....
Old 01-27-2021, 07:32 AM

Has anyone ever given your house to another person (a grown child, perhaps) as a gift?

Or have you ever been given a home by your parent (or another relative)?

Backstory: I have been renting my old house to my dd and her dh. They now have baby Jai. I was going to put the house in my will for them, but I would like to give it to them now for two reasons:

1. If I ever needed long term care and had to go on Medicaid, I would be required to sell it, and they might not have the means to buy it.

2. It's a two story house. Because of Jai's disabilities, they may eventually need a house with a bedroom for him on the first floor, appropriate bathroom modifications, wide doorways, and handicap access. I would like them to be able to sell the house in order to buy what they need.

Just trying to figure out if there are big tax ramifications if I do this. I have done some research, and I think it's possible to do without issues (house is worth about 200K), but I may be missing something.

lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Old 01-27-2021, 07:38 AM

I would see an attorney who specializes in these type of things. I know at one time there had to be so many years between a gift like that and receiving Medicare. You are wise and kind to consider this. Do you have other children? Would gifting something like this cause resentment?
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-27-2021, 07:43 AM

I agree with checking with your attorney, financial advisor, and and tax expert. I don’t think it should be a problem, but better safe than sorry.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 01-27-2021, 07:49 AM

tctrojan, It's 5 years, and Medicaid, not Medicare. I would only need Medicaid if I needed long term care and exhausted my other assets. I am already on Medicare. I'm 68, so hopefully I won't need long term care in the next 5 years.

I do have other kids. They know I planned to give dd the house in my will, and dd knows that if I give it to her now, she just got that part of her inheritance early. I went over my will with everyone and they agreed it was fair. The others do not have "special needs", and they know from past experience that I would help them if they did and I was able.

Lilbitkm

Old 01-27-2021, 07:50 AM

You can do a quitclaim deed and deed them the house. If the home is not paid off they will still need to take over your loan.

I bought my home from my father but I purchased it from him and he “gifted” me the equity he had in it for my down payment and to avoid PMI so I still have a mortgage. There were no tax implication on the money gifted for either of us.

You can “gift” millions of dollars in your lifetime without federal ramifications.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/taxes/gift-tax-rate

Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 01-27-2021, 07:53 AM

lilbitkm, I own the house free and clear. It would actually be nice for me to not have the responsibility of owning it!

Lilbitkm

Old 01-27-2021, 07:56 AM

Without a mortgage, you can easily do a quitclaim deed then! Very easy, just the filing that needs to happen. In my state you have to put down a “sale price” and most people will just put $1.

https://www.investopedia.com/article...laim-deeds.asp

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/w...quitclaim-deed

luvmycat

Old 01-27-2021, 08:30 AM

There is a tax form for you to fill out for the gift. When you pass, the value gets added to your estate and will be taxed according to the inheritance tax at the time of your death.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 01-27-2021, 08:53 AM

Luvmycat, NH is the “Live free or die” state. In fact, we live free even after we die! No inheritance tax here.. My estate will be far too small to qualify for federal estate taxes.

luvmycat

Old 01-27-2021, 08:58 AM

Great! There should be no issues then. I would still speak to an estate lawyer to make sure it is fair to all siblings.

luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 01-27-2021, 09:27 AM

There would be little tax impact on you but it could mean major tax implications for your daughter.

If she inherits the house she would receive the stepped up basis that would eliminate or greatly reduce capital gains tax if she sells.

If she is gifted the house she would pay capital gains tax when she sells and if you have owned the house for many years this could be significant.

Also, I know New Hampshire has high property taxes. You need to check to see how this would affect her tax obligation since it is not a transer of primary residence.

I recommend meeting with a real estate attorney.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 01-27-2021, 10:16 AM

Sonoma, i did look up the capital gains situation. I think they would not have a problem, since a couple only needs to pay capital gains on amounts over 500K.

As far as I know, they would have to pay the same property taxes that I pay now (which is included in their rent). Since they rent on a cost only basis it should not be a problem.

I will, of course, consult a lawyer, just in case I am missing anything.

mhugs

house
Old 01-27-2021, 02:43 PM

I'm thinking about Jai's medical care. Would them owning a home make them loose benefits for his medical coverage? Not sure how that works in our state? I see your intent and it makes sense.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

steach

Life estate
Old 01-27-2021, 06:40 PM

I have a life estate in my mother’s home. Her house is in both our names and she resides there just as before. However, when she passes the house will go to me. She basically “gave” me the house and she retained the right to live there.
steach is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

House
Old 01-27-2021, 07:29 PM

What about putting it in a trust?

My grandparents did that after they paid their mortgage because it protected the property after their death - it couldn’t be used to pay off debt or taken away in this manner. Family members continued to use the house until the last one retired. Then, as the “heirs” they were able to dissolve the trust and sell the house at quite a gain, which has been a godsend in these uncertain times.

There is a small man agent fee annually, I think, for the life of the trust, but this method really worked well for our family.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Your house
Old 01-27-2021, 09:12 PM

Have you considered what would happen if Baby Jai were to die? Very sad to think about, but if that happened, would your other children still be OK with your decision about who inherits the house?
Ruby tunes is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 01-28-2021, 05:41 AM

Was going to suggest a trust as well...