Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Tutoring starting over, who knows LOL?

>

Mishellee99

Tutoring starting over, who knows LOL?
Old 01-25-2021, 03:12 AM

Will today finally be the day to start over? All of you have followed my tutoring drama and thank you again for the advice.

I decided not to even reach out to the mom about seeing if we're going to meet tonight. I figure it's on her now to contact me about setting it up and where we will meet.

She has a tendency to text the night before so I thought she would but got nothing last night. Oh well, guess I'll wait and see if she even says anything but not going to remind her either.

At this point, it will have been 3 months since our first (and only) tutoring session. If your kid truly needs the help like you said, you make a better effort to work with that other person that's willing to work with you.

I'll definitely update everyone later, have a great day!

Mishellee99 is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-25-2021, 10:23 AM

I started a post to you earlier and had to stop because a meeting started early. But I am really confused by your business model. Don't you set the time and appointments, as the boss?
Quote:
I decided not to even reach out to the mom about seeing if we're going to meet tonight. I figure it's on her now to contact me about setting it up and where we will meet.
Couldn't she be thinking the same thing I am- that you are the boss and set the appointments for her? She might be waiting for the same thing.

From what I've read, I think you are probably better off with both of you forgetting it. I think the model you have going is confusing on both ends (I would be confused if I were the mom or if I were you). Who calls who? Who gets to cancel? Who sets the times? Who does the reminding?

I hope it all works out, but maybe this really isn't the best situation for either of you.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 01-25-2021, 11:56 AM

If I remember correctly they had a set time, met once, and ever since then the mom has cancelled, asked for a new time, then still no showed, etc. This is not Mishellee's fault and is 100% the mom of the tutoree that keeps flaking out.

I agree, Mishellee, that your part is done. You have no obligation to contact her. If she wants a tutor, she needs to make and keep arrangements. You calling her trying to force her to set up appointments would be weird and intrusive IMO.

I think the mom wants to pretend that she has set up tutoring so she can pretend she helped her child with whatever the issue is, but doesn't really want to do so.
MKat is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-25-2021, 12:09 PM

I've read all the previous posts, which informed my response here as well. As I recall, appointments have been cancelled on both sides for various reasons (including holidays) and there was a lot of back and forth on times/dates. I still think it has been confusing. Last I recall, a time had been set for last week and mom was on board but mish cancelled because it was a holiday. So the time should already be set for today and wouldn't mom be planning on it? Did you discuss that she would need to call you to confirm? Or was something still up in the air?

I 100% agree mom has been a flake, but I also think she's been getting some conflicting feedback about mish's flexibility and tutoring availability based on the earlier posts I read. I think there has been a lot of change on both sides of this equation and I do think it's potentially confusing.

(hopefully mish knows I love her I just don't think this is a good match)

Mishellee99

Thanks GraceKrispy and MKat
Old 01-25-2021, 12:20 PM

I really appreciate you always taking the time to read my posts and respond to them. Yes, so the very beginning of the story is this parent and her son received my name and phone number from my college friend back in October.

We agreed to meet on Wednesday evenings at 6:30 and started the very next day. During our session, we only met for 30 minutes at their house but she paid me for an hour. The next week we were planning on meeting but she asked to cancel the next 2 weeks as her son wasn't going to be home. His dad (her ex-husband) tested positive for Covid while he was there that weekend so he had to quarantine with his dad and stepmom.

I was completely fine with that and she also asked if we could change the day from Wednesday to Thursday after they received his wrestling team schedule. The next 2 cancellations were because her husband (son's stepdad) was sick and then wanting to go hunting the next time. After the 3rd cancellation, I requested that we start after the beginning of the year because of the holiday eves falling on Thursdays.

We were planning on starting back up a couple weeks ago but then she cancelled yet again because of a last minute wrestling meet.

I have a personal commitment myself every Thursday night at 6 or 7 depending on the week so I asked if we were to continue tutoring if we could change days.

We finally agreed that Monday evenings at 6:30 would be best but skipped last week because of the holiday.

I did receive a text from her this morning before 8 to ask if I would be available to meet with them tonight and she's willing to bring him to my house instead. I texted her back about an hour later saying that's completely fine and I look forward to working with them again.

Our first (and only) meeting was back on October 28th so this week would have made 3 months of not meeting already. I really don't mind trying to work with them again I wish there was more consistency on both of our parts even if it's just setting a time each week and maybe a different day weekly that works better for their schedule.

Love you too by the way Grace .

GraceKrispy

Old 01-25-2021, 12:23 PM

I'm glad she connected with you, Mish! Hopefully it's all back on track! I would definitely stick with this time if at all possible to prevent any ideas that you might just meet whenever it fits in their schedule.

CricketSong

Old 01-26-2021, 06:33 AM

You have done so much already, I agree that this is not your fault and that you are dealing with a parent who is not very dedicated to the follow through for what she thinks is a good idea conceptually. I don’t think your one cancellation was a huge deal, and neither would one cancellation on her end. That’s pretty normal. It’s her many and only actually meeting once while you are willing to change around for her is a big deal. Your changing schedules for her when you can is decent customer service, but having done that and still there’s an issue with attendance? Red flag . Sometimes people want something and also don’t want it when it comes time to leave the house.

I honestly would not want to continue with my services to this customer after this point at all, but I hope it all goes well and the mess ceases.

Don’t let it get you down. It seems like a lot of unneeded stress, honestly. Some people are like that and working with them is very difficult. I don’t think you made her this way, and I also don’t feel she is going to change any time soon. We who have offered private services often do try to bend over backwards for customers, but I learned long ago to politely drop this type of customer. They are honestly never worth the stress they induce. It’s usually a personality quirk on their part, and they tend not to change no matter how stern or lax you get. I prefer selling objects to selling in-person services for that reason. Most people are happy to pick up things or pay for shipping, or have you arrive to attend to things they don’t need to be present for, but many of those same people have issues with follow through when they themselves have to also make an effort. And you can’t really change that. But you can phase them out or drop them.

Last edited by CricketSong; 01-26-2021 at 06:54 AM..
CricketSong is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-26-2021, 06:44 AM

Did the tutoring session happen?
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Mishellee99

Forgot to post an update last month, oops LOL
Old 02-21-2021, 12:58 PM

So, I forgot to post a good update to my tutoring drama from last month. Yes, the tutoring session did happen and they were nice enough to come to my house instead. They were already out and about from his wrestling practice so they asked if they could stop by and do it here.

I was completely fine with that and we're mostly back on track.

The next week she did ask to cancel since there was a couple days they didn't have school due to the weather and apparently weren't really learning anything new yet.

We did meet again a couple weeks ago at their house and it ended up being a review of the same topics from our last session, go figure.

Last week we were in the middle of getting this big snowstorm so I asked her an hour before if they wanted to still meet or if we should cancel due to the weather. Luckily, she was coming home from work and said that it was getting bad out already at 5:30 so she was fine with us cancelling again.

I'm hoping we work together again tomorrow but I'm not crossing my fingers too much as they didn't have any school until Friday because of the weather and road conditions last week. No school last Monday because of Presidents' Day and then Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday they were closed. So, I'm guessing since there was hardly any school last week unless he's learned something new Friday and tomorrow we won't be meeting again.