Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Do you buy clothes online?

>

amiga13

Do you buy clothes online?
Old 01-26-2021, 01:51 PM

You may have gleaned that in addition to my addiction to chocolate, I also really like clothes.

Although I miss a long morning at TJ Maxx (followed by lunch out, of course), I liked online clothes shopping before the pandemic as long as I was ordering from stores where I knew my size. Now I do all my clothes shopping online and itís mostly fine and Iím grateful returns are easy.

Recently some really cute clothes from Old Navy started appearing on my FB feed. I remembered DrGraceKrispy saying she shopped there (at least I think it was DrGK). When the 4th really cute item popped up (a darling black bathing suit for $22.50), I decided to take a chance and ordered all 4 sale items. Cheap! I worried about size because Iíd never even been in the store, but I dove in. They arrived today and I seriously LOVE all 4 items. Iím so excited.

How do you feel about online clothes shopping?

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Amy L

Old 01-26-2021, 01:55 PM

I get most of my clothes online, especially since there weren't many stores offering fitting rooms for awhile. Generally, I am pleased, but I do get tired of having to return many. This is especially true for things like shoes, undergarments, and items for my teens. There are some things that are just easier to find in store. Usually, I read reviews for quality and sizing, which is helpful.
Amy L is offline   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

Same as AmyL.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:05 PM

I shop for DH and myself online and don't really have issues with fit, etc. DS wears a specific uniform shirt for school, so I have to buy those on his campus. His khakis I buy at Children's Place (good quality and consistent fit). The only issue we have is shoes for DS and DH. DS inherited DH's strange feet, so we have to have them fitted and end up going to a store. Since we only have been shoe shopping once since the pandemic started, we have been out too much and have avoided exposure. Me? I buy mine online at LLBean. Comfy and they fit properly everytime.
kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 01-26-2021, 02:06 PM

I just bought a great pair of Democracy jegging from Amazon. I saw the advert on the UK Daily Mail site. Two minutes later, they were mine. They fit perfectly. Yes, I like to shop online.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Since the pandemic...
Old 01-26-2021, 02:27 PM

I have shopped almost exclusively on line. I know my sizes and only did one return over the last year. I also read reviews. I have shopped Old Navy. My most recent purchases there were a coat and some masks. I originally bought the coat online, but had to return it to the store and they ordered me a smaller size. Very easy. Enjoy your purchases.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 01-26-2021, 02:56 PM

I have discovered that I can buy sweats or lounge pants that just run small medium and large and I also bought a bathing suit last summer online as well. All of those items fit well. I bought a few pairs of shoes as well because I know my shoe size well and that size pretty much always works for me.

However, I could never buy jeans, dresses, or pants with buttons and zippers because all brands are different as far as if a particular size fits.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 01-26-2021, 02:56 PM

I hate shopping for clothes online, unless it's something I'm familiar with, like my brand of jeans.
It seems like every time I order something, it doesn't fit right or I hate the feel of the fabric.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

DiamondGirl

JCPenney and Dillards
Old 01-26-2021, 03:17 PM

I love JCPenney's blouses. I know my size and style. So online shopping there is always a plus for me. I am also petite, and it's hard to find petite pants and slacks but I can count on JCPenney and Dillards for a good fit.
DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

shopping for clothes
Old 01-26-2021, 03:38 PM

I can't even remember the last time I bought clothing from a brick and morter store. It must have been when I was still teaching. If you are a larger, fluffier type of person and need a list of stores to shop from, let me know. I'll send you a list.

I also buy shoes from the company that starts with Z and has two P's in it. If I type the name, I'll just get ads for the site, then I'll buy some shoes, and I really don't need to spend the money. But they have a large selection, good prices, and an excellent return policy.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Online clothes shopping
Old 01-26-2021, 03:57 PM

I hate shopping online for my clothes. My size changes drastically from brand to brand. I also am really bad at visualizing what something will look like on me. I need to actually see it on me to even a slight idea if it looks good on me (and even then, I have no clue). Needless to say, I haven't bought clothes in a long time because of so many places having fitting rooms closed.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

RamonaQuimby

Old 01-26-2021, 04:28 PM

I find it almost impossible to buy anything below the waist online! I am pear shaped, and I just end up returning them, except exercise pants. My top is easier to fit.

Quote:
I need to actually see it on me to even a slight idea if it looks good on me (and even then, I have no clue).
Haha! This is totally me, too. I love it, Teacherbee!
RamonaQuimby is online now   Reply With Quote

Irish

Old Navy
Old 01-26-2021, 04:31 PM

I got some cute tee shirts last summer and some sweatpants and sweaters this winter. I was surprised they fit.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

like timeforbed
Old 01-26-2021, 04:31 PM

I have pretty much always shopped online (or pre-online, by catalog). I am extra tall and pretty large (fluffy!), even minus the 100 pounds lost in past years.

I particularly like Old Navy (for casual clothes) and Lands End (for quality wardrobe staples). I know what size works for me, they carry tall/large sizes, and the vendors seem to be fairly consistent.

Shoes are my downfall. I have to order online (again, due to size), but struggle to find shoes that are comfortable. I hate sending things back, and end up with bunches of shoes that I've only worn a few times. I got two pair of shoes in the mail this week. One pair will probably go into rotation. The other, not so much.
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 01-26-2021, 04:54 PM

I like to shop on line, but at stores where I can do returns in person if needed. So many stores are closing that soon I won't be able to do that anymore.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

shoes on line
Old 01-26-2021, 05:04 PM

I'm picky about shoes and need comfort. Zappo has FREE returns so it is easy to select styles and sizes. I try on at home and send back what I don't keep. Never had problems. They carry many name brands in so many styles.

Have a harder time with clothes.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 01-26-2021, 05:24 PM

Pre-COVID and nowadays, I've bought plenty of clothing online before. I know what size will fit me and it pretty much does, so I rarely have to return it unless I dislike it for some other reason. Tops and sweaters are easy to buy, but pants are harder due to that they could fit oddly or not right.

I'm more skeptical to buy shoes online, but if it's a familiar brand, I'll take a chance on those too.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 01-26-2021, 05:35 PM

I have had to shop online during this pandemic. Preciously felt I needed to go into stores and try clothes on but have discovered I can get good results when online shopping. I tend to buy the same brands that I have at home and then the sizes are what I expect.

I must admit that I haven't bought many clothes since the pandemic started. I'm stuck at home and tend to wear the same things day after day. Sigh.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-26-2021, 06:10 PM

I previously really liked the Modcloth website for clothes (for whatever reason, the past few times I've looked there I can't find anything I like anymore). I'd strongly prefer to go somewhere in person where I can try things on, but they don't have any brick and mortar stores, and I always found things I really liked that I couldn't find elsewhere. Although they make returns as easy as possible, I still found it to be an extra hassle.

I've suddenly become a big fan of Old Navy because they're allowing trying on in stores. I got a big batch of new school clothes there this fall. They had a good selection of professional looking clothes for pretty cheap!

For me it's not just about knowing my size. Sometimes things just don't look right when I actually try them on. There are things that I think I'm going to love when I see it on the rack and it looks terrible on. And some things that I "just try just to see" that end up looking amazing. I also like being able to take my items with me right then and there and not have to wait for shipping. Especially these days when shipping is slower than molasses and porch pirates are out in full force .
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Love it
Old 01-26-2021, 06:42 PM

You must be bold, you must try on when the clothes arrive, you must return or exchange if they are not as expected or do not fit to your liking.

I have had very good luck with Stitchfix
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-26-2021, 07:10 PM

I like shopping online anywhere with free returns. Otherwise nope - not going to do it. I also prefer places where I've shopped before or been in the store, or I know the brand I am buying. But, then again, I don't really like clothes much so when I find something I do like I buy two or three in different colors and then I'm good to go for a long time.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

On line clothes shopping
Old 01-26-2021, 07:27 PM

My name is keltikmom and I have a clothing addiction.
Thanks to Zulily, I have 4 tshirts, 3 tank tops, 1 jacket, 1 bathing suit, and a forgotten number of blouses arriving in the next few weeks.

Oh, wait, also 2 pairs of jeans and a pair of earrings.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-26-2021, 07:41 PM

I like clothes shopping no matter how I get to do it.

Iíve done quite a bit of online shopping pre-Covid just because there arenít clothing stores in my town, and not all that many in the next town.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 01-27-2021, 06:51 AM

I did shop occasionally online previously to Covid, and now of course must do it all online.I live less than 3 miles from a major shopping mall, which I have not been in since Dec. 2019 (we were on an extended trip jan.-Feb. 2020).

I liked online shopping when I could return items for free to a brick and mortar store. Since I am avoiding stores until vaccinated, and as more stores close, it is no longer possible to do the store returns. I do not like paying shipping charges to return items.

During the height of our spring lockdown, maybe April, I bought an entire new spring and summer wardrobe online. Last fall, I packed it mostly away unworn, tags still attached. We never went anywhere that I needed anything decent - everything was closed.

Now I have sunk to wearing jeans, t-shirt and sweatshirt everyday, day in and day out. I can't imagine trying to buy jeans online, but I may need to find out. I used to love shopping, and new clothes. I hope I'll be able to resume a lifestyle where I need them.
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote