Help

Kindergarten

Teaching with stations and Debbie Diller

>

VA teacher

Teaching with stations and Debbie Diller
Old 04-16-2011, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My county has decided that next year we will be using Debbie Diller's Stations as our way of teaching REading and Math for K and 1st. Does anyone currently use this type of teaching? I am suppose to be a lead teacher for my grade and I just don't know if I really like it! I'm hoping to hear from some that use it and like it! Please let me know!

VA teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

skinsfan

Old 04-16-2011, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I friend of mine just went to her math workshop. She came back very "pumped" to try it. I'd check out the schedule to see if there are any workshops planned in your area. If so, perhaps admin. would agree to send the grade level chairs so they could help with the transition to this new approach.
This friend that I mentioned always seems to be able to convince me to try these new things w/her so I guess I'll be doing it right along with you.
Here are a couple of the "positives" that I thought would be good reasons for trying it. I've had a couple of students this year who I have really need to differentiate their instructional level, one in particular who is a possible retention. It is HARD to work in some intervention time some days so this program seems to make that easier. Students who parents think they need more "challenge" make their own "challenge" with this approach the way I understand it. Also you need LESS materials because you only need enough for several students to play a certain game, not whole class sets. Also once the kids understand the system, writing SUB> plans should be a lot easier and they wouldn't even have to teach a math lesson.
skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

VA teacher

I did go
Old 04-16-2011, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

to a conference a week ago. I have also had her Literacy Workstations book for about 2 years and use parts of her program. I just had a really hard time following her during the conference. Good information but when I am stuck in a big room with 500+ teachers and few breaks I end up zoning out! I am actually on spring break this week and heading to my classroom Monday to sort and purge! The first 2 steps in her spaces and places book! Actually looking forward to a massive cleanout to find things I forgot I had!
VA teacher is offline   Reply With Quote