Help

Kindergarten

Writing Sentences

>

2ndgradekat

Writing Sentences
Old 04-16-2011, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have taught 2nd for 4 years and now I am working with kindergarten. I have a kindergarten student who can not write a sentence. She normally just writes one word for everything. She does really well unscrambling sentences. Where do I go from there?

Thanks

2ndgradekat is offline   Reply With Quote

LivieLou

Talking...
Old 04-16-2011, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Start the lesson with talking to her about a special thing that she is interested in. Get the conversation flowing and then ask, "What can we write about that?" If she says something like; " cat"...You restate it into. The cat is black. Good lets write that sentennce together. At the beginning you may have to write most of the words for her to model the sentence.
LivieLou is offline   Reply With Quote

temar

kinder writing
Old 04-16-2011, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Some kinders are not developmentally able to write a whole sentence. I still have students giving me the beginning sounds of the words they want to write. Don't worry if she isn't doing a whole sentence yet, as long as she can hear the sounds of simple cvc words and can read them, she will write them when she is ready.

Kindergarten is all about developmental readiness - each child is different and we cannot change when they are ready.
temar is offline   Reply With Quote

BeeHappy

Scaffolding for sentence writing
Old 04-16-2011, 10:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am bouncing off of LivieLou's response and it leaves me with a question for you. Can she provide a sentence for you when you ask her to tell you a story? Story writing, to me begins with the oral story telling. Start there and try to get her to stretch a response to a prompt you give her or an answer to a question in a complete sentence or more. If she can tell you a few sentences in order, all the better.

I start by modeling an oral story that happened to me personally, telling the kids a story that I think will be of high interest to them. I use this story as an anchor story for many lessons so that the kids become very familiar with it. I give a few more examples of things that are stories from my life in about 3 sentences, telling what happened 1st, next, and last. Then I ask them to think of a story that happened to them [for real, not fantasy]. Once they think of these stories we use a graphic organizer to sketch one picture that will remind them of the story and write one word that will remind them.

From here, we do a sketch of the story in sequence as we told it. I have a series of graphic organizers I've created for this that build on each other and have foudn them to be very successful.

Once the kids have the sequence down, it is easy to start writing the first sentence. Have her say the sentence out loud to you. As she does so, make a line for each word she says on her paper under where she would write the word, leaving spaces between each line/word and ending with a period. So if the sentence she told you was: [First my friends came to my birthday party.] You would make the following lines for her: _______ __ __________ ______ ___ ___ ______________ __________. Show her with your finger tracking each line as you repeat the sentence she just said orally. Next have her do the same, repeating the words/sentence as she points while saying each word. Next, have her write each word with your support as she writes. She will soon learn to make the lines herself. Some kids do better with a line for each sound in each word that they hear as they stretch the sounds out. In that case you would do the lines for each word in her sentence one at a time, like this: __ __ __ __ [She would likely sound out first like this /frst/. You will have to determine which way works best for your student. As time goes on, start pulling this scaffolding away gradually.

Also, work on her sketching and labeling her picture with words. It is imperative that she make meaning and the connection of meaning to her words/story. Kinders start at many different levels - some barely do pictures at the beginnign of the year. Some draw and scribble, but with meaning. Some do random letter writing. Some beginning sounds. Some beginnign and ending or beginning and medial sounds only. Eventually they stretch the whole word and begin to write more than one word/phrases. They often mix upper/lower case letters. Some use, but confuse all these skills as they emerge. But we always want to teach them to move to the next step with gentle supportive coaching, of course.

Bear Words Their Way and Kid Writing can help you be a great writing teacher. You can also check out my writing page on my Shutterfly website. Request the password through the Shutterfly site.

Let us know how this method works for you.

Bee Happy
BeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 04-17-2011, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Are you modeling how to write everyday with your kinders? And asking them to help you with letters and sounds/words they know? She may not have enough sight words in her recall to think of them when she needs to. You might concentrate on labeling, then have her write something using those labels. I always begin with sentences like, "I am 5. or I am 6., then "I like red" or whatever color she likes...even This is sentences work well. I suggest Kidwriting by Eileen Feldgus and Isabell Cardonick.

jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

BigTree1

Developmentally ready!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

"Kindergarten is all about developmental readiness - each child is different and we cannot change when they are ready."

I agree!!!! I am in first but need to decide if I'm going to K or 4th next year! This is what I love about K!!
BigTree1 is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndgradekat

thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you so much for the great posts. I will have to try them with them when we get back from break. They know very few sight words. I model a lot with her and when I write the sentence she says, she can copy it. Thanks again for the great ideas. It is hard getting used to the little ones.
2ndgradekat is offline   Reply With Quote