switching from 1/2 time to full time K??? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Kindergarten

switching from 1/2 time to full time K???

>

rth2008

switching from 1/2 time to full time K???
Old 04-22-2011, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

i have been teaching 1/2 time K in the afternoon for the past two years. next year i got a full time spot (two sessions) at a different school.

any suggestions??? i am going to obviously have a lot more kids and i am worried about how to adjust/prepare and how to set things up to keep it all organized.

rth2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

BeeHappy

Hi Rth2008 - I had 2 1/2 day groups
Old 04-22-2011, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

last year in my first year of teaching. I started out the year with 32 kids for the first month of school before they finally shifted kids around from other schools in the district to form a pm group for me.

The challenge: Yes, it is twice the number of kids, parents, communications, assessments, report cards, student meetings, conferences, etc. It is an amazing amount of 'extra' to manage/organize.

The positive: You only need to plan the main lessons once and you get to practice teaching them in the morning, then make adjustments to refine your lessons in the afternoon. As a result you get double practice with the curriculum and become better as long as you are open to learning from your mistakes. Of course you always put your best foot forward in the first lesson, but it only makes sense that you will learn from experience. That - you get double experience is a positive. You'll be in one place, in one building - in one classroom. We have am and pm teachers that travel during their conference/planning time from their other 1/2 day positions to our school/their other school. They have twice the prep [for the most part your prep will be 1x only for each subject, but you'll need those extra materials, of course.], 2 teams to collaborate with, and still all the other doubles. Ugh! Yet at least they are 1.0 FTE teachers which matters greatly to them in the end.

So, to get organized - order double of everything, but have them shipped so that you don't have to count everything - print shop orders can be divided by a colored paper for example to divide the am and pm groups.

I color coded EVERYTHING - lime green for am, aqua blue for pm. Set up your coat/backpack cubbies, book boxes, and mail centers with space in mind. We have a wood wall mounted mail cubby center. I put am kids names on the left in green, on the right in blue - same with coat cubbies. Label their book boxes with color coded name labels.

I centralized community supplies so both am and pm classess used the same pencils, crayon tubs, etc. This year I have some of those 3 drawer plastic roll about carts from Walmart/KMart/Target near each table group and top them with my supplies while filling the drawers with journals for different subjects - writing, math, science, poetry, etc. If you color code everything they should hold both am and pm class journals. This type of centralized supply organization cuts WAY down on my transitions allowing more learning/practice time and with 1/2 day using every minute is critical.

As soon as you can get your class lists, set them up so that you can use them for multiple things - checklists, materials that you collect from home, assessments, etc. I use Word and create a table that can be quickly adjusted for multiple uses. Set up your technical/online files for both am and pm - assessments, etc. in advance. You need to be organized with your document folders right away also.

Since you already have 1/2 day under your belt, you've probably got a good handle on your schedule already and the curriculum so you're well on your way to being prepared! Truly, color coding makes the rest of the organization so much simpler! If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!

Hope this helps!

Bee Happy
BeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

GoGreen

Two classes
Old 04-22-2011, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is my second year in K. Somethings that I've done to help me be more organized is labeling. Last year I switched schools, M W Friday am in one, T, Th Friday pm in another. That was tough, with different materials in different school.
This year in one room with two classes One class is red, the other is blue. Everything is labeled with these colors.
I have ordered the plastic magazine holders from Really Good Stuff. com. I have writing folders in them, we write in our folders everyday so I just switch the holders at the end of the day. I have 3 tables of students and we use the same common supplies.
One of my biggest time savers is a huge box (250 I think) of address labels from Costco. Far less expensive than smaller boxes from Target. I made a label page, with every child listed. When we do a art project, or anything else I just slap a label with the child's name on the item. The labels are 30 to a page and I just toss the extras. I also use these for name tags for my subs. When I put labels on items for the hall I put one class's on the bottom, the other on the top, or on the right and the other on the left. Then I don't have to think as I sort out stuff. It also allows me to call students over from groups and know who still needs to come as I stick the labels on projects.
I also have 5 dish tubs, labeled by the day. If we don't get to something with one group in a day I just shift it to the next day. keeps my piles organized!
I set up a folder on my computer for the year and then inside it I have things names red or blue and then the name.
I write one newsletter for both groups.
I have check off lists for everything. Since we are alternate day with alternate Fridays I also color in a Calendar for a visual reminder of what class comes on a Friday.
GoGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

LorettaLynn

Love...
Old 04-23-2011, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

these types! I am a total organizer and these tips will totally help me in my planning for next year as well!
Thanks!
LorettaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

pamyarb

AM & PM Kindergarten
Old 04-23-2011, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I currently teach 2 sections of Kindergarten. AM is red & PM is blue. Everything is color coded. I bought a bunch of red and blue clip boards to organize daily lesson plans, dismissal lists, class checklists, & observation card. That way I can find things quickly and know at a glance AM & PM. I also have seperate bins for AM & PM for interventions, assessment records, and progress monitoring.
Hope this help. Good luck.

pamyarb is offline   Reply With Quote