Help

Kindergarten

Dinosaurs

>

lawsonm

Dinosaurs
Old 04-18-2011, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for fun activities to teach dinosaurs. Any ideas are appreciated. :]

lawsonm is offline   Reply With Quote

foreverammaw1

Dinosaur Guess and Check activity
Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Prior to the lesson you will need to make a worksheet that states...

Make a guess about how many fossils (chocolate chips) you will excavate from your dig site ( chocolate chip cookie). Under that sentence you will need the words Guess and Check. Under that you will have two cookies big enough to write the numbers in.

Your intro to this lesson is discussion about how careful palaeontologists have to be when excavating fossils and how frustrating it can be, because they don't always find fossils. Talk about all the different tools that they use and that they are really expensive. Than tell them that today they get to be a palaeontologist and that you have found the perfect dig site that is full of fossils! But, that it was very important for them to be patient while digging for the fossils, because they were going to have to count them just like they would have to do if they were actually excavating real dinosaur fossils. Remind them that if a palaeontologist brakes a tool that he/she would probably have to either stop digging or make do with the tool they have.

Give each student a plastic tooth pick and a cookie and remind them to carefully scrape around each fossil and than pry it out. This is definitely a fun and educational activity. I hope this helps you.
foreverammaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote

foreverammaw1

Another Math activity
Old 04-18-2011, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Draw a dinosaur footprint big enough to fit each child's foot print. When I draw it I make it with three short toes. It is usually about three foot wide by 2-3 foot long.

I write above the footprint...

How many kindergarten footprints do you think will fit in this dinosaur footprint? Write your guess outside of the footprint.

We sit in a circle and each child gets a chance to come up and I trace their footprint inside of my drawn dinosaur footprint. We count and compare to their guesses.
foreverammaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

Dinos
Old 04-18-2011, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We run off dino body parts (got them from a coloring book - choice of 3 body sizes, two different kinds of legs/arms, 4 choices of head, some horns, claws and spikes) on the back of Dino patterned paper. When we couldn't find the paper in the Teachers Store we found some online and color copied it. You can also copy it on various solid colors. Cut them apart.

After discussing how when paleontologists find fossils, they find the bones are scattered, some are missing, and they have to use their knowledge to put the skeleton together. Just like they are going to do. They will invent a new dino using the body parts they choose, and glue it together on one of the prehistoric backgrounds we provide, and color the background. The scientist who discovers the dino gets to name it, usually using latin or greek root words as all scientists do, so the dino's name is the same in Japan and South America as it is here. Using a root word dino dictionary from Enchanted Learning, we help them name the new dino and display the name on a golden plate shape with the english translation;
Bellamaiasaur "Beautiful Mother" discovered by Chelsea

With the help of an assistant, a small group of students goes to the library to look up facts on a particular dinosaur. They are looking for the dinosaur's size, food, and a description. They write out what they find and we photocopy a picture out of the research book to illustrate their facts.

At one center we put all our dino puzzles and models. This is the paleontology center where they put dinosaurs together.

Using a milk carton wrapped in construction paper with a "MUSEUM" sign on it, we cut two doors in the front and they mount a dino they made from plasticine inside.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

lawsonm

none
Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Absolutely awesome! Thank you! :]

lawsonm

none
Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So cute! Thanks! :]

Fun2TchK

Old 04-19-2011, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I make the pasta skeleton from prekinders. com / dinosaurs-theme

I have also done dinosaur hands with socks and felt for the claws.

I usually finish my dinosaur unit with dioramas. They take a day or 2 to paint the shoe boxes. Then they can make dinosaurs for inside or use plastic ones. They can add plants, volcanoes etc...
Fun2TchK is offline   Reply With Quote

lawsonm

Old 04-25-2011, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for sharing!

RebeccaH

I use a large bone
Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have always got my butcher to give me a very large bone. I bring it in and tell the children how I found it in my back yard. WE discuss what type of dinosaur it could come from etc. We always get great stories and then we discuss how it isn't a dinosaur.
I find the little ones love being able to say the very hard names.
I love this theme.
RebeccaH is offline   Reply With Quote