Help

Kindergarten

blending and segmenting?????

>

rth2008

blending and segmenting?????
Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

what do you do to teach/reinforce blending and segmenting. we have working on this with my kiddos but some are still not getting it. please help! any ideas/suggestions are welcome, i really want to make sure my students are ready for end of year assessments and first grade.

rth2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

bucket

blending & segmenting
Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use the song "Stretcht the Word Snake" by Jack Hartmann. You can also purchase a teacher made book to go with it on Teachers Pay Teachers. I believe the creator of the book is Kim Adsit. I teach pre-k and my students are really getting it!
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote

learner

blending and segmenting
Old 04-19-2011, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just as anything else...the more something is practiced the better you get. If I am doing nursery rhymes or fairy tales, or any book that you are "playing" with, I pick key words to segment and blend. It is part of my story time most days. It goes fast, we keep it short, and we smile, make it sing songy and make it fun. My kids are good at it. I keep track of who has trouble, and then call on the kids that have trouble more. Also I even pick them out in line to stand beside them and talk to them in line and segment and blend till they have it.
learner is offline   Reply With Quote

BeeHappy

I use the party favor slinkies at the
Old 04-19-2011, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

beginning of the year AND the Beanie Babies Stretchy Snake. I then scaffold to using just my hands/arms so we can 'get our stretchers out' whereever we happen to be without needing a bunch of props.

Please check out how I teach reading using Whole Brain Teaching and Phonic Faces on my Shutterfly website reading news page here. You need to request the password via the Shutterfly site. I go into detail and provide rationale of how I use a variety of ideas/instructional strategies/resources to effectively teach reading. I made these changes this year and have found a great difference in how quickly my students learned how to read vs without these last year. I don't take credit for the ideas - that belongs to the folks who came up with them. What I did was find a great combination of strategies and really worked on practicing them, gathering evidence to see if they worked, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bee Happy
BeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

pianowoman41

We use our Sound Machine (fingers)
Old 04-19-2011, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

From the very beginning of the year I have used my fingers to show beginning, middle, and ending sounds of words. This is a gesture-type action (whole brain teaching related too) that helps us visualize a word we are sounding out. I will say:

Sound machine, sound machine,
Let's make some words!

Have you heard???

/c/ /a/ /t/ (hold up 1st finger, 2nd finger, last finger as you make each sound)

That word is cat!

I think of it as portable elkonin boxes!
Maggie

pianowoman41 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissKayla

Old 04-19-2011, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We tap out our sounds.. as in we hold up our fingers and touch a finger to our thumb for each sound in a word. On my smartboard daily reading lesson, one slide is the entire alphabet and 3 boxes. I have my students build the words we tap out by having to tap out the sounds themselves to figure them out. From there we also delete the first sound and ending sound. Ending sound deletion is a final task to accomplish, and I've noticed at least half of my kids and/or more are capable of doing this now.
MissKayla is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweet Pea 72

Blending and Segmenting
Old 04-19-2011, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like to use "Benny the Blending Babboon" and "Stretchy the Word Snake" both by Jack Hartmann (on his Alphabet Zoo cd). I use the cheap slinkies with Stretchy and we just make blending motions with our hands for Benny.

I also have made almost all of the activity/games from the Florida Center for Reading Research site (awesome!) My kids love them!!! Playing the games in my small groups has made a big difference.
Sweet Pea 72 is offline   Reply With Quote

SueHue

Old 04-19-2011, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Segmenting
Have the class sit in a circle. Say a word (I pick out pictures from our ELD program English Now! so we can practice 2 skills at the same time). Slowly stretch the word. As you do, walk around the outside of the circle and tap one child on the head for each letter sound. You can make this into a version of Duck Duck Goose.

Give students a strip of paper & they lay it down hortizontally in front of them. You can make a grid if you want (in the terminology of Word, it is a table with one row and up to 4 columns!). Give students counters or small blocks. Line them up under the paper. Say a word with either 2, 3 or 4 phonemes. Have the students repeat it. Ask them to say the word slowly. As they say each phoneme, they then slide a counter onto their paper. I have also introduced stretching words w/ the slinky! We say, "slinky stretch it!" Start with words with 2 phonemes: it, bee, etc. As they get better, move onto words with more sounds. One teacher I work gives students a worksheet. They color in boxes or put an X in the box for each word. I have never seen them before, but I have heard her talking about it.

Blending
When we first start blending, our reading coach has us draw a picture of a slide on the board (my drawings suck, but it still works). I use magnetic letters on my dry erase board. I use CVC words. I put the first 2 letters at the top of the slide, and their friend, the last consonant, at the bottom of the slide, waits for his friends. The vowel is afraid to go down, but his consonant friend is excited. They take a deep breath, then the consonant pushes him down (I slide my magnets). They go down the slide saying their names. The vowel screams the whole way, because he's scared but still has fun! For cat it would be sort of like: (breath) cAAAAAAAAt.

There is a book called "Phonics Pathways" we use that breaks down blending very well. Ever since we have used this book, our students read more fluently. This book has one page for each consonant of the alphabet full of "eye exercises". The students practice blending just the consonant with each vowel. So, if you are on the B page, you would start with the short vowel sound, then move on. For the word bag, it would be like this: "a, b-a, (take a breath) ba, ba-g, bag!" You always review the vowel before you sound out the whole word. Most students have very limited short term memory when we start this, and reviewing the hard vowel sound first helps. If you have a longer word, you always stop at the vowel, go to the beginning, blend, then do the final sound. Then you can say the whole word. The word "step" you would say, "e, s-t-e, ste, -p, ste-p, step".

Hope this gives you a little bit of a picture. Wish we had video!!
SueHue is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

We sound out down our arm...to really
Old 04-21-2011, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

give that TPR (total physical response) but some kids DO have trouble when it comes to words with 4 sounds - they get stuck in the shoulder-elbow-wrist pat down for 3 sounds and can't hear the 'n' in sand or hand. So finger count may be a good addition for us to add to it. I just want to make sure they don't get 'number of letters' in the mix and get even more confused (which some will)

When we get to syllables we are CLAPPING so it's separate from sounds PATTING
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

BeeHappy

Thank you, SueHue! I just
Old 04-21-2011, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

ordered Phonic Pathways and Reading Pathways! It sounds like you use this like a center after teaching the kids, is that correct?

I like your slide blending activity as well. I've always wanted an easy way to do the slide using a pre-made graphic template.
I Googled "Word Blending Slide" and found a few - all different - then played around with the search after I did not find the playground slide template. I used 'word slide', 'phonics slide' and other combos. No luck.

I thought we could all use these resources as we wish. I always enjoy this type of research for free resources! Hope they help someone! I STILL did not find one that uses a playground slide and has a template that would be easy for us to use. That inspired me to create one! I've attached it here along with most of the other resources that I DID find. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Bee Happy

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Blending Slide.pdf (207.2 KB, 120 views)
BeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Schoolgirl

Password please...
Old 04-27-2011, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi BeeHappy!
Just checking on the password for checking out your site on blending and segmenting. I did email you, but I am thinking maybe it didn't go through... Please email. . Thanks!
Claire
Schoolgirl is offline   Reply With Quote