Help

Kindergarten

Oral Counting to 100

>

lchristineinc

Oral Counting to 100
Old 04-20-2011, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As the end of the year is approaching I am worried about some of my kinders who are still struggling with oral counting to 100. Especially in the 60-100 range, many of them cannot remember what number comes after 59, 69, 79, etc.

Aside from continuously counting, what are some other strategies to help these students remember which group of tens comes next? Thank you!!

lchristineinc is offline   Reply With Quote

nativek

your worried!!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your worried!! I still have about five kindergartener's that can't count past 15. And I just got a new student today!
nativek is offline   Reply With Quote

boothgirlz

use your fingers
Old 04-20-2011, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

as they count have them hold up a finger for every ten they get to. 10 would be one finger, 20 is two fingers etc....
Maybe this will help them remember what might come next when they get stuck at the 9's like mine do.
Of course i got this idea from this great website!!
boothgirlz is offline   Reply With Quote

Zoe09

We can count to 100
Old 04-20-2011, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Try Youtube: We can count to 100
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbHBYGY2fs0

A catchy tune and a visual of the number as you sing, all in about 2 minutes. This is great to use on a smartboard.
Zoe09 is offline   Reply With Quote

leemac

oral counting to 100
Old 04-20-2011, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have found that using music such as Jack Hartmann's Movin to Math (specifically Let's Get Fit) has really helped in that area. It is common for this age to get stuck, if you will, at the decades 19, 29, 39, 49, etc.

leemac is offline   Reply With Quote

BeeHappy

Kids need a variety of practice with a
Old 04-20-2011, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

variety of tools, strategies, modalities, etc. What will 'grab on and velcro' for one child will not work for another. Some of what I use includes:
  1. 100's pocket chart - highlighting skip counting by 5's and 10's. Some days pull about 10 random numbers and have them answer: What comes next? Especially practice this on the 'tricky teens' and 19, 29, 39, 49, etc. Keep this up with a fun pointer as a center for kids to practice. They love it!
  2. Small color coded 100's charts, laminated - thre are others that you can color code yourself to highlight skip counting or the teens. Kids sit around the perimeter [great way for them to learn this academic language] of my carpet and have these on the floor. They track while we count. I say 'freeze' and ask what comes next frequently. They use these at a table center to practice fluency also and like having a leader who plays the freeze/what's next game. Make sure that all kids are tracking as you say each number by scanning them during 'freeze'.
  3. Heidi Songs - visuals, music, rhythm, kinesthetics - Get the DVD and practice daily until you get MOST of your class able to rote count to 100, then do a few times a week to get the rest moving up as well.
  4. Assessment/individualized number lines/100 charts: You need to meet your kids where they are at and build from there. If kids have ability to count to 15 only at this point, then do a number line to 18 and provide an intervention with them practicing several ways for 5 minutes a day. Number line and up to 18 chart, 18 objects, ordering numerals 1-18, etc. Make sure you work with them daily and assess at least weekly, moving them up as they achieve mastery/fluency. They should be accurate 5 x in a row to achieve mastery before you move them up. Only add a few new numbers at a time. This intervention is in ADDITION to what you do with the whole group. Also set these kids up with peers who are just slightly higher than them to work together at centers for independent level/partner practice. Work on these skills 1:1 and/or small groups.
  5. Games, games, games...Google it and you'll find many. Here's a PT post that provides more ideas also! Create a big 100's chart on a shower curtain and have kids play "I Have, Who Has?" Create a giant count up to 100 hopscotch in your classroom or on the playground with chalk, thin width masking tape, or those large foam puzzle pieces/markers. Play "which numbers are missing" on the white board.
Have fun and keep the kids who are struggling moving forward little by litte in chunks!

Bee Happy
BeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

AddieJ

Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

speaking of HeidiSongs -
she has a Wonderful song called "What Comes Next?" on her Musical Math CD. It's for teaching the skill that you mentioned - 19...20, 29...30, 39...40, etc.

I use lots of visuals - just one to try is having ten kids stand up front and each one holds a number card 10-100. The whole class counts and when you get to a multiple of 10 the child holding up that number holds it up high. Then we do it again so 10 more kids can come up front!

I also LOVE the Jack Hartmann counting to 100 songs that leemac mentioned! I just have to encourage my kiddos to keep saying the numbers while they're doing the actions (some easily "forget!")

I have this board:
http://www.learningresources.com/pro...ellers&page=1&
The kids use it as a math center & I'll use it also when I pull small groups during math time. We use the colored tiles to highlight the 5s and 10s and then I'll also place colored tiles on random numbers for the kids to identify (or ask them to place the tiles.) it's a great math tool!!
AddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

TitleMathCA

Old 04-21-2011, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I found that learning to count by 10s helped the kids remember what went next...we talked about being "done" with the 60s when you got to 69 so what's after 60 when you count by 10s...they'd catch on for the most part.
TitleMathCA is offline   Reply With Quote

aggielover

You tube
Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Harry's kindergarten has some great videos. One is counting to 100. Another is what comes next 29-30, 39-40, etc. Use keep vid to save them and you can play them anytime without going through you tube.
aggielover is offline   Reply With Quote

pamyarb

Skip Counting
Old 04-22-2011, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Another great song to help with counting is Dr. Jean's Macarena Math on her CD Sing to Learn with Dr. Jean. This is a fun song that incorporates movement with counting by 1's, 2's, 5's, 10's. Go to her website you can down load lots of her songs right off the website. We use a lot of Dr. Jean's songs to help with letter recognition and counting. She also has a CD just for Math called Totally Math that has lots of fun song for counting, adding, money, & counting down. The website is: www.drjean.org

pamyarb is offline   Reply With Quote

lchristineinc

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for all the great responses! Youtube is unfortunately blocked from my school (understandable of course). Are any of these videos on a website like schooltube.com?
lchristineinc is offline   Reply With Quote