Help

Kindergarten

Fairy Tale Thematic Unit

>

mathqueen2

Fairy Tale Thematic Unit
Old 04-20-2011, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been on the hunt to find play-based kindergarten centers that I can use for next year. I teach at a school where I teach in a cluster. I am the math teacher, we have a reading teacher, and a writing teacher. Our kids stay with us from k-2.

Here is my issue: I am having a hard time being a kindergarten teacher!!!!! I know they need to play a lot, but like a lot of others, I am worried about teaching the standards and making sure they learn. One of my friends told me to teach kindergarten through thematic units, and start with fairy tales. Does anyone do this already?

Does anyone have already made fairy tale thematic units that correlate to the Florida Standards?

mathqueen2 is offline   Reply With Quote

learner

thematic fairy tales
Old 04-21-2011, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No, I don't have this, but I sure teach a lot of skills through fairy tales this time of year. We read the tale, watch it on utube, chose words to alphabetize, listen for contractions, do writing projects, etc. I have a smart show with links to utube for many of the tales. Kids love them. I use them for retelling, story elements, most anything. I have googled cinderella/blloms taxonomy, etc. and have some amazing questions.
learner is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach through fairy tales all year long. It is wonderful because I read every version of each one that I can, we compare and contrast characters, teach all comprehension strategies and basically those will work with any of them.

I just finished Cinderella and there are wonderful versions for the boys to get into this as well (Prince Cinders, Bubba-the Cowboy Prince), and then there is the Disney version, Cinderella Penguin (with glass 'flippers'), Cinder Edna, Cinder Ellie, ....a ton of other culture ones.

Jack and the Beanstalk is another favorite and I take bulletin board paper, twist it into a 'vine' and have it start twining around my chair and then up into the ceiling (I have an open ceiling with dropped panels so it can disappear over the panels).
So many versions of this---a Little Critter one, Kate and the Beanstalk, Jim and the Beanstalk, Steven Cosgrove version, and an especially good one that I do an art project with is Jack and the Meanstalk--we make leaves with patterns and put them on the vine. Jim and the Beanstalk is a measuring one, but it also has a lot of inference to it--the kids are sure that as soon as Jim gets the giant a wig, glasses and teeth that he will surely eat him, but it all turns out well, the giant is really friendly.

I do the same with 3 Little Pigs and the Three Bears--tons of different versions...and our STorybook Theatre puts on yet another version so we have a field trip there.

Fairy tales are very rich and studies have begun to show that they are a great way for children to work out many social problems.
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote