Help

Music Teachers

First Year: Transition from teaching Band to Orchestra

>

MusicIsLove

First Year: Transition from teaching Band to Orchestra
Old 08-24-2013, 12:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone! I am currently searching for my first teaching position. I received an email from a school system looking for an orchestra teacher. The position is for middle and high school band and I am seriously considering taking the leap. Although my main background is in the band setting, I do have some experience with orchestra. My principle instrument is trumpet, which I have played in the orchestra setting on occasions. I played violin (and took private lessons off and on) for about 7 years. Of course I've also had string methods courses, so I'm familiar with the basics of the instruments.

Anyone have experience transitioning from teaching band to orchestra with little strings experience? I know many of the concepts for band cross over and apply to orchestra, and I have a general idea of how I want to design my curriculum but I would greatly appreciate any advice, suggestions for reading materials/methods, or anything else that you have found to work in the classroom.

I welcome advice from those who have made this transition and from orchestra teachers alike. If you teach/have taught, I want to pick your brain O_O Thank you in advance!

MusicIsLove is offline   Reply With Quote