Songs that WORK for middle school kids??? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Music Teachers

Songs that WORK for middle school kids???

>

JWoman

Songs that WORK for middle school kids???
Old 09-06-2012, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi. I'm a music teacher who just found out that I will now be teaching Grades 4-8 and am wondering if anyone has any great songs that have worked for them in the past. All ideas welcome!

JWoman is offline   Reply With Quote

M.J.

M.J.

These might help..
Old 09-07-2012, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are a bunch of CDs that I've used with elementary age kids, haven't worked with 7 or 8 but they might work with them too.

Trout Fishing in America: Big Trouble (Album) has a song by the same name that kids just love, Big Round World (Album) has My Favorite Jeans (song), Mine! (Album) has Swimming Pool, 18 Wheels On a Big Rig (songs), and their Infinity album has quite a few good songs: Sailing, Something Sweet, and a few others.

Ralph Covert: Ralph's World - Green Gorilla, Monster & Me (Album) has River Flow (song) and Ralph's World Peggy's Pie Parlor (Album) has Peggy's Pie Parlor Polka (song).

Tom Paxton: Your Shoes, My Shoes (Album) has The Worms Come Crawling Underground (song).

Bill Harley: Yes To Running! (album) has Is Not Is Too, You're in Trouble, Echo (songs) but they'd be more for the younger kids.

I really like some of the songs by Bob King too, especially Bob King & the great Canadian Popcorn Band which has at least 4 good songs for the younger kids like The Animals' Baseball Game, The Weird Dog, The Aoogah Song, and Benny the Baboon (from Saskatoon). His Rock and Roll Teachers (Album) has Stepping Stool, The Colossal Giant Drink, and Leon's Plymouth Station Wagon. That album also has backup tracks so you can sing on your own.

Marcy Marxer: Jump Children (Album) has songs for the younger ones like Jump Children, Chickery Chick, 10 Cats Down, and Rock-a-Bye Boogie. Actually there are some songs that would be good scattered on Marcy and Cathy Fink's other albums too.

Anyway, that should help you out fairly quickly. Most of those albums have the lyrics included or you can get them off their websites. That will give you time to look for song books or look through whatever your school already has on hand. Best of luck!

JWoman

Thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks MJ! I will check these out!
JWoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Oboegal1

Old 05-23-2013, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you plan to get them singing, "Yonder Come Day" is a great song that has many parts (even a boys' part). I would probably teach each part a different day and then review and put them together. I mostly teach elementary, but I remember trying that song with 5th grade my first year of teaching and it was difficult for them, so probably perfect for the upper grades. I would also look into Jim Solomon's Body Rondo books for body percussion activities. Any songs that have challenging body percussion with them were winners for my 6th grade inner city class last year. I usually create my own body percussion patterns if I can't find an authentic one. This might sound silly, but my 5th and 6th's last year really liked folk dancing. I used the beginning dances in "The Chimes of Dunkirk" which comes with a CD. I would also spend time on different periods of music history with the 7th and 8th and the composers from that time period. Make it more of a listening activity per class and teach them the characteristics of those periods. I plan to have a composer each week with my classes next year and do movement activities for each piece we listen to. I see all of my elementary classes every day for a month at my school, so we have lots of time together. I hope I was able to help!
Oboegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

ihokeypokey

Old 02-16-2014, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for sharing!

ihokeypokey is offline   Reply With Quote